1:72 Airfix Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 FINISHED

Deacon

I have shelved the 1:48 Nieuport for the present (although Robert's link showing Albert Ball's Nieuport 16 has given me new hope to finish it).

I wanted to do a smaller, easier kit. So, I'm making up the R.E.8 (although there seems to ba a fair amount of rigging).

Here is the box shot and the first update. I've got a lot further with this over three days than I have on the Nieuport in two months!

IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6703.jpg

The only changes I have made is to use part of a paperclip to create the housing for the rear Lewis gun. The kit one was too round and too thick.

Cheers

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

Thanks guys.

A quick update. I build OOB, but even I had to try to add some stuff to this build.

First the air intake for the engine needed a little something as it was just too big else....

RE8001.jpg

and then there was the lack of cockpit detail, so I thought I would give that a go too......

RE8002.jpg.

Thanks for looking.

Deacon

• 5 weeks later...

Ok guys, time for an update.

A couple of shots showing progress on the RE 8. I could do with getting a rigging diagram for this build.

IMG_6765.jpg

IMG_6767.jpg

The next shot is just a comparison between the size of the RE 8 and an SE 5.

IMG_6770.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Deacon

A little more work on the RE 8.

One small item was that the kit exhausts weren't long enough so, I thought I'd have a go at making them longer.

IMG_6783.jpg

The kit is now undercoated and I have added metal 'thingies' which can be seen on top of the wing. These aren't supplied in the kit and just had to be added or the build wouldn't look right.

You can make out some more rigging holes. These have been located using info from the internet especially photos of a replica RE 8 built in New Zealand, a very good aid.

IMG_6784.jpg

I am not sure I will get all the rigging on the aircraft, but hopefully enough so that it looks good. :D

Thanks for looking

Deacon

Nice detailing on your R.E.8......that's a nice comparison shot with the S.E.5...

Kite Cheers,

ggc

An earlier posting in the WW1 section said there were problems with the Airfix RE.8 wing fit and struts. Have you had any probs?

The kit is looking good.

John

Thanks everyone. :winkgrin:

John, I have to agree about the struts.

I managed to get the wing struts done first. I attached them to the lower wing using liquid poly and let them set a bit

This meant that they were fixed, but had a little flexibility to move slightly. Then I added the top wing. The whole lot moved around a bit and it was a pain to get the

aerilon struts to sit in their holes. However, I managed to get the wings into a resonable over lap and straight with the 6 struts in the right position.

I left the glue to harden over night and the whole thing was solid by morning. Thankfully nothing had moved, although one of the aerilon struts was a little short and ended up on the edge of the hole

it was supposed to fit in.

Finally (thank god I hear you say :blush: ) the fuselage struts were added, but the two forward ones were too short and had to be replaced.

The SE 5 was a much easier kit to put together, but I am more than happy with the RE 8 so far.

Thansk for you patience.

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

For an excelent plan resource Aircraft Archive ( aircraft of WW1 ) vol1 has 4 pages of plans with 2 pictures. 1 page is for structural detail, Another is a scetch page that includes a small diagram for the rigging. Unfortunately I do not have a scanner so I can not scan these for you. I believe the plans are all in 1/72nd scale. I have the same model & will use this book for reference. The book is an old one & part of a series of 3 on WW1 planes First printed in 1989. The plans were first printed in Aeromodeller & scale Models according to the introduction. You might be able to get copies of the plans from either of these sources. Carl T :thumbsup:

Thanks Adrian and Carl. At the moment I am trying to peice together where the rigging goes through information on the net.

I'm not saying for one minute it will be complete, just sufficient. :D

Right, the latest up date. A couple of shots showing the overal view, and one trying to get a close up of the scratchbuilt instrument panel.

RE8001-1.jpg

RE8002-1.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to start on the rigging. :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking.

Deacon

Deacon: your R.E.8 is looking very nice...I'm anxious to see your rigging...

Cheers,

ggc

purchased one recently (bit enthused currently by WW1 due to buying & watching first series of BBC wings drama from 70's) so your build is a great help for those of us thinking of building it too, looking jolly good and best of luck with the 'fun' rigging!!! :hypnotised:

Well, it's finished.

I thoroughly enjoyed building this veteran Airfix kit.

It is by no means perfect and I still have to learn how to 'hide' rigging holes :lol:, but I am glad I now have a RE 8 in my collection.

IMG_7303.jpg

IMG_7304.jpg

IMG_7310.jpg

The next two shots are of all three of my RFC aircraft. I wanted to get the RE 8 finished as the SE 5 is being donated to someone, so I wanted to get a photo whilst I could.

IMG_7305.jpg

IMG_7308.jpg

I could go on making builds for this GB as it has really inspired me, but alas I have to do builds for the Gulf War GB, a Bomber GB and an Aggressor GB. So, thanks to the organisers and I hope Britmodeller has another one soon, or extends the closing date on this one. :thumbsup:

C&C welcome.

Cheers

Deacon

very nice trio of RFC aircraft, may finish my 'Harry tate' as a Belgian version, rigging looks good dont notice any rigging holes :speak_cool: