Blackburn Skua - camo is on

Stéphane

Hello Boys

I've been away for a while, but I've been modelling ...

Did work on the Blackburn Skua and on a a F-4E, which will be greek AF.

The Skua isn't an easy built and, as I'm quite advanced I've been making a web page of my building (well, far from being complete)

linky

However a few quickies as a tease ....

comments most welcome ! :)

Cheers

Stef (#6)

skua_148_09_250.jpg

skua_148_10_250.jpg

skua_148_36_250.jpg

Edited by Stéphane

• 2 weeks later...

Nice site .. i like .. tres bien .... must say the special hobby kits must be the same , i am currently building the 1/32 p-39 and bad moulding, flash, etc and nothing really fits .I for one wont buy anymore from that manufacturer

Hello,

Mike, thanks. You know you want one of these odd-looking-nicely-bad-looking plane :smartass:

Chris, I've been building the 1/321 I-16 and now, that Skua, of Course the MPM family of kits is not easy fit, but the subjects are appealing and most of them won't never be released by mainstream manufacturers.

So, well, a little struggle is needed, but ain't it what modeling is all about ?

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Hello there

Well, been beginning the painting on the Skua.

I need your opinion on the Sky grey, as the shade shown on the SH instruction sheet seemed very greyish, close, in fact, to Japanese army grey-greenish hue ...

I therefore resort to use Gunze 308 (FS 36375), but I might have been trigger happy and maybe it's too bluish, espec when compared to the shade of the Roc above ...

So, all inputs and advices most welcome.

Cheers,

Stef (#6)

On to the pics :

I've been using the Sky overall, to act as primer ...

skua_148_49.jpg

skua_148_50.jpg

Thanks Perry,

I take Humb 40 is lighter grey than the one I used (haven't been using Humbrol other than metal cote since a good 15 years) ...

ok, will enlighten it at the weathering stage then

thanks for the input ! :)

Stef (#6)

Thanks Perry,

I take Humb 40 is lighter grey than the one I used (haven't been using Humbrol other than metal cote since a good 15 years) ...

ok, will enlighten it at the weathering stage then

thanks for the input ! :)

Stef (#6)

Yes mate, its lighter than the grey you used and its quite a good match. The colours used on my Glad are the same as on your Skua so it might be worth trying.

Here we go, in the heart of the subject, the painting (my favorite part)

First, after inputs collected here, from Perry and all the other helply friends, I've been changing the underside grey to a lighter, less bluish hue; in fact a shade from the modern Phantom camo (Light aircraft grey ?)

skua_148_55.jpg

After came the Dark slate grey, again a mix. And EDG, using paper masks, to achieve straight demarcations. A little weathering ensued, with a veil of Olive drab in the center of panels, while EDG panel lines were reinforced using a darker hue.

The continuation of weathering will come after a coat of gloss and decals.

As usual, more details on the web page.

Cheers

Stef (#6)

skua_148_51.jpg

skua_148_52.jpg

skua_148_53.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Soooooooo !

No, I haven't been sent in the 4th dimension, but have been beginning a new job and it's quite demanding;

I did however work a tad on the Skua, she's now having her decals on, an the weathering has begun.

It is strong, on purpose, as the flat varnish will lessen it, as the Norway Skua were so worn out (from what I collected, they didn't really had time to get worn out ... that is, before being shot) :who-let-rip:

First part of weathering is airbrushed, with variation of the basic shades, either darkened or lightened and, for Dk Slate grey, use of Olive drab.

I've also been trying for the first time Phil Flory's sludges/wahses on the white and grey and have to say it is really a neat product.

But on to the pics, and, as usual, comments most welcome !

cheers

Stef (#6)

skua_58.jpg

skua_57.jpg

skua_59.jpg

skua_60.jpg

• 1 month later...

and she's complete !

Here's a first batch of piccies, but I' will made some better and wil set a a post in the ready foir inspection part of the forum.

Meanwhile all inputs and comments most welcome.

Cheesr

Stef (#6)

skua_fini_01.jpg

skua_fini_02.jpg

skua_fini_03.jpg

skua_fini_04.jpg