Italeri's Merlin HMA.1

Graham

I just wonder why the boxes and the panels are included in the pe-sets for the HC.3-version but not in the HMA.1 pe-parts. :hmmm:

there's no difference on the real aircraft. those panels on the bulkhead behind the seats are circuit breaker panels and all AW101's have them.

i'm really looking forward to seeing the finished model. i'd love to make a super detailed mk3 but i just don't have the patience or confidence to use PE!

there's no difference on the real aircraft. those panels on the bulkhead behind the seats are circuit breaker panels and all AW101's have them.

i'm really looking forward to seeing the finished model. i'd love to make a super detailed mk3 but i just don't have the patience or confidence to use PE!

Thank you! It´s the first time for me to use PE and I would say: If I can do it, anybody can! But while you are around anyway: what is the color of those pockets and the cross. Is it a red cross on white ground or a white cross on green ground?

947l74dx.jpg

Thank you! It´s the first time for me to use PE and I would say: If I can do it, anybody can! But while you are around anyway: what is the color of those pockets and the cross. Is it a red cross on white ground or a white cross on green ground?

947l74dx.jpg

i have a feeling the pockets are plain black. the cross isn't anything medical, i think its part of the pressing and acts as a strengthening of the pocket (which is a map pocket by the way). the stap over the top is dark sand coloured webbing held in place with a silver push-stud. i will check tomorrow!

Look what I got! :thumbsup:

I´ve searched the web for weeks now to get a clue how the sonar housing could look like and I think I finally found it:

I think it´s the grey thingie in front of the fotographer in 1:44.

If there are some better pics anyware I would be happy about anything I can get. :)

Edited by ice

Interesting thread, to which I have to add a couple of questions. I love the look of the Merlin, but confess to not knowing a lot about it

Q1. How do the Italeri Cormorant & Marine One boxings differ from the other ones?

Q2. Which boxing would be most suitable for the HH-71 CSAR proposal and why?

Q3. Which boxing would be most suitable for the JMSDF MCH-101 variant and why? (merlin101s IP thread no longer has pics :doh:)

Q4. Which boxing would be most suitable for the JMSDF CH-101 and why?

I only have the Italeri Naval boxing (without tiger stripes :( )

Nev, i used the RAF Revell kit, but the Cormorant/VH71 kit can be used for a MCH-101. Check references for windows & other modifications.

Marine One kit has double u/c legs rest is a cormorant kit in green plastic! Not sure what the HH-71 CSAR will look like if it gets built so maybe a 'what-if' should apply there!

Heres my MCH-101 you asked about, don't know what happend to original pics!

JN1.jpg

JN2.jpg

JN3.jpg

Dave

Thank you! I scanned all pe-parts and now I can print them on photo-paper. :thumbsup:

..I allready did that with these panels on the back-wall of the cockpit. Works fine.

I just wonder why the boxes and the panels are included in the pe-sets for the HC.3-version but not in the HMA.1 pe-parts. :hmmm:

kt7binsf.jpg

just a quick one mate, on the real aircraft, the control rods you see on that bulkhead are covered by fairings that go from the floor to around 3 inches short of the roof. width wise, they sit flush with the edge of the doorway up to the circuit breaker panel you have added. your best bet, if its not too late, is to remove the moulded on control rods and just add the covers. they also have small white lights at the top of them. hope this helps. if you need any pics, i may be able to get some, no promises though.

i have a feeling the pockets are plain black. the cross isn't anything medical, i think its part of the pressing and acts as a strengthening of the pocket (which is a map pocket by the way). the stap over the top is dark sand coloured webbing held in place with a silver push-stud. i will check tomorrow!

Not that they are first aid kits, but of interest as to why the Military have green and white crosses on their aircraft for First Aid kit markings (mainly externally) is when I was in the RAF it came out to change them over, as it is illegal under the Geneva Convention to fire on an Aircraft bearing the Red Cross, and being military Aircraft we had to play cricket don't you know........ hence the colours were changed. Mind you playing cricket is no longer a safe bet, especially in Pakistan. :weep:

if you need any pics, i may be able to get some, no promises though.

Pictures would be great! The backwall of the cockpit and the small walkway between cockpit and cabin are rare - very rare! :undecided:

ice said:
Pictures would be great! The backwall of the cockpit and the small walkway between cockpit and cabin are rare - very rare! :undecided:

There really isn't much there! :lol:

Edited by Danny

Are they the opposite to a Mk3/3A then Paul? :unsure:

Danny

doh! sorry guys, got my port and starboards mixed up! not good for a Fly Navy crab! post now edited, sorry for any confusion

here's a (very) quick pic of the bulkhead behind the co-pilots seat on our Mk3, the Mk1 is identical apart from a different style lighting system, it just has a plain oblon shaped white lamp instead of the Mk3's NVG lighting. the wall behind the pilots seat is a mirror image of this

Photo-0132.jpg

Danny, i think we should sort out a Merlin walkaround topic on here! by the way, one of our Mk1's has now got a 28sqn Pegasus badge on the 'beak' infront of the forward fixed fairing! it's one hell of a permanent zap!

paul_c said:
one of our Mk1's has now got a 28sqn Pegasus badge on the 'beak' infront of the forward fixed fairing! it's one hell of a permanent zap!

Is that still there?!?!

Danny

Edited by Danny

Is that still there?!?! :yikes::rofl: If it's the one I'm thinking of that might have been there for a couple of years :lol::whistle:

Could well have been the inspiration behind someone zapping a Lynx :whistle:

Danny

ah, so it's you lot! looks good mind, all low-viz and blending in with the grey. it got me thinking though, do you guys have any of the "Team Merlin" display team logos made up into zaps? (the stylised Merlin at the top of this link: http://www.teammerlin.airshows.co.uk/ ) our Navy tractor could do with some 'crabbing' and so maybe could some more mk1's........ :whistle: (sorry for the slight thread hijack!)

Edited by paul_c

ah, so it's you lot! looks good mind, all low-viz and blending in with the grey. it got me thinking though, do you guys have any of the "Team Merlin" display team logos made up into zaps? (the stylised Merlin at the top of this link: http://www.teammerlin.airshows.co.uk/ ) our Navy tractor could do with some 'crabbing' and so maybe could some more mk1's........ :whistle: (sorry for the slight thread hijack!)

I never said it was us, just I remember it happening a couple of years ago! :innocent::lol:

Only zaps I've ever got hold of were 'acquired' from someone's office :whistle: That office has moved now though and I've no idea where they'd be but I'll keep an eye out ;) Never seen a 'Team Merlin' one though. The aircrew made a big fuss over those, making T shirts and everything but none of us pan trash got them.

Edited by Danny

Thanks for all your hints, tipps and pictures. I added a small fire extinguisher (made from sprue and pe-remains), the boxes for signal pistol and carts and the small whatever-it-is on the left are copys of the Eduard-pe-parts, printed on photo paper. Any suggestions?

pxxebvtd.jpg

I´d like to add some of those helix cables, hanging from the ceiling. Is there any chance to get a "plan" where the connectors are placed and who uses which while on board? In the BBC-Video there is something like a pocket on the wall with "headset cable" written on it. Are there special locations whrere they are placed on a HM.1?

Are there special locations whrere they are placed on a HM.1?

blimey, er..... there's one above each cockpit side window, one forward of the signal pistol box, one just above and to the rear of the right hand avionics panel (the panel you show in the above pic), one at each of the backseaters stations on the mission console and one at the winchman's position just aft of the cargo door. i belive thats it but someone else may come up with more.

the interior so far looks great by the way, very realisic although may i just add that the yellow you have used next to the CCU on the left hand avionics panel is a little bright. on the actual aircaft, the structure in there is in primer but it has more of a darker hue than this

paul_c said:
blimey, er..... there's one above each cockpit side window, one forward of the signal pistol box, one just above and to the rear of the right hand avionics panel (the panel you show in the above pic), one at each of the backseaters stations on the mission console and one at the winchman's position just aft of the cargo door. i belive thats it but someone else may come up with more.

I think you're talkinga bout headset mic/tel leads :headphones:

Fantastic cockpit so far though Ice!! :worthy: :worthy:

Danny

Edited by Danny

So there´s a pocket for every cable? That´s sad because I wanted to let some of those helix cables hang from the ceiling but if there´s a pocket for every cable I think they are stowed there if not in use. Am I right? :confused:

the interior so far looks great by the way, very realisic although may i just add that the yellow you have used next to the CCU on the left hand avionics panel is a little bright. on the actual aircaft, the structure in there is in primer but it has more of a darker hue than this

I followed the Revell-instructions here. They say that the primer color is a mix of white and yellow (50/50). Perhaps I can darken that by giving it a wash. If not I repaint it. On primeportal I found this picture and here the primer looks quite bright with a slight touch of green in it: http://data3.primeportal.net/hangar/luc_co...48_20_of_59.jpg

Fantastic cockpit so far though Ice!! :worthy: :worthy:

Thank you but most of the commendation belongs to eduard. They made a fantastic job on their PE-set.

Yesterday I found some nice interior-shots of a danish EH-101: http://www.pilots.dk/absolutenm/anmviewer....a=10347&z=2

Here you can see some of the pockets: http://www.pilots.dk/Projekter/2007-EH101/...in_IMG_3148.jpg

So there´s a pocket for every cable? That´s sad because I wanted to let some of those helix cables hang from the ceiling but if there´s a pocket for every cable I think they are stowed there if not in use. Am I right? :confused:

the cables hang when not in use, with the ends plugged into a blank plug next to where they are connected to the interior, if you get what i mean....... basically, when stowed they form a 'U' shape.

you can see on this picture, just aft of the cargo door at the winch man's position a stowed cable:

20_M-509_open_slidedoor_IMG.jpg

the pockets you refer to are stowage bags for the passengers headsets, nothing to do with the crew system. they stay stowed in these pockets when not in use

Edited by paul_c

got a walkround when they visited aldergrove,not impressed with the low tailgate ,difficult enought to duck down into never mind trying to get in all kitted up :ninja: ,couldnt get sat down with our webbing on :thumbsdown: .

then the loadie proudly informs us that the seats where ................................................................................

..£55.000.00 EACH!!!! :bling:

after we had stopped crowing about "wasting taxpayers money" he helpfully explained how said seats would save our necks if we ever piled in :smartass: ,by cleverly collapsing about our ears! :analintruder:

now can anyone confirm that his costing for the seats was accurate :hmmm: ?