Italeri's Merlin HMA.1

Graham

dark grey/black. similar to a light tint you get on car windows

I think I´ll try a black Edding for that. Thank you!

the Italeri kit is the only one which will build into a Naval Merlin, the Revell kit is the mk3 utility

That´s not quite correct - I´ve got a Revell-kit here in front of me (No.: 04410) to build a HM.1. There is another kit (No.. 04468) to build the HC.3.

That´s not quite correct - I´ve got a Revell-kit here in front of me (No.: 04410) to build a HM.1. There is another kit (No.. 04468) to build the HC.3.

ah, i stand corrected then! i never realised that Revell boxed the Mk1, ive only ever seen the Italeri boxing of it

ah, i stand corrected then! i never realised that Revell boxed the Mk1, ive only ever seen the Italeri boxing of it

Thought you knew that Paul!

No one brave enough to try building one of the other versions? Lots to choose from & more colourful,

Dave

Thought you knew that Paul!

No one brave enough to try building one of the other versions? Lots to choose from & more colourful,

Dave

doh! i've just realised, my mk1 was built from the Revell kit! oh well, im blaming my old age!

What are those refinements? I searched the web but I didn´t find a list of what are the differences.

(i) The rotor blade roots are larger, and 'wrap round' - looks like an attempt to model the RN style rotor cuffs.

(ii) A winch is included

These are mods to the main sprue. rather than the additional one with the torpedos.

(i) The rotor blade roots are larger, and 'wrap round' - looks like an attempt to model the RN style rotor cuffs.

(ii) A winch is included

These are mods to the main sprue. rather than the additional one with the torpedos.

Good points - I definitely want both features so I´ll get me an Italeri-bird.

Also, the tips of the tail rotor blades are red.

That´s also mentioned in the Revell-instructions.

I´d like to build a really good detailed Merlin interior and I wonder, if there are any better pics of the sonar housing than this one: http://data4.primeportal.net/hangar/howard...m1_10_of_47.jpg

I´m stil scratching my head, trying to answer the question how to do the cross-hatched insulation on the walls... :unsure:

I´m stil scratching my head, trying to answer the question how to do the cross-hatched insulation on the walls... :unsure:

When I made a model of a Chinook a few years ago which has similar sound proofing, I use some plastic card which already had the cross hatching on it. The cross hatching is done by raised lines but it did not show that much when viewed through the windows. I also thinned the card down quite a bit to make it more flexible.

I've seen, on ARC I think, that someone used some paper towel which comes with a pattern which resembles the cross hatching, and once the shapes were cut-to-fit they were dipped or coated with a clear coat of some sort (can't remember what was actually used) which hardened once dried. The finished effect was quite convincing one the parts were painted.

The real question is when will Italeri release their 1/48 kit, and will it include Japanese markings? :analintruder:

They don´t seem to launch it in 2009... :undecided:

BTW: What is the best colour for the HM1? Is there for example a Humbrol-colour, that would be a perfect match? Revell wants me to mix some colours but i don´t really want to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

(ii) A winch is included

Hi Dave,

I´ve got both kits in front of me and the only difference (except of the decals) are the 'wrap.arounds'.

On top Revell, below Italeri:

p1040443lj0.jpg

Hi Dave,

I´ve got both kits in front of me and the only difference (except of the decals) are the 'wrap.arounds'.

On top Revell, below Italeri:

p1040443lj0.jpg

the tension link fairings (wrap arounds as you call them) differ between the maritime and utility Merlins. the mk1 has small fairings, allowing clearance for the rotor head to fold and the mk3 has larger ones, covering the entire blade root.

the tension link fairings (wrap arounds as you call them) differ between the maritime and utility Merlins. the mk1 has small fairings, allowing clearance for the rotor head to fold and the mk3 has larger ones, covering the entire blade root.

The ones in the RAF boxing of the Merlin were the proper mk3 ones, the ones that Italeri put in the original HAS boxing and the Revell release were flat, and a different shape. They revised them for the HMA1 release and included an element of 'wrap round'.

Glad to know what they are really called!!

Edited by Dave Fleming

• 1 month later...

I hope it´s OK, if I post another question about the Merlin here. I bought a pe-set for the HC.3-version and there are those parts, that have to be folded into boxes and then placed in the small corridor between cockpit and cabin. Are those boxes used in the RN-version too?

u963n6uo.jpg

Thank you! I scanned all pe-parts and now I can print them on photo-paper. :thumbsup:

..I allready did that with these panels on the back-wall of the cockpit. Works fine.

I just wonder why the boxes and the panels are included in the pe-sets for the HC.3-version but not in the HMA.1 pe-parts. :hmmm:

kt7binsf.jpg