Revell/Monogram Bf110G-4 1/48th scale

galgos

• 1 month later...

Having signed up for the GB to build the Eduard Messerschmitt Bf110G-4, I was then asked to do a "Build Now" article about it for the online "Scale Modelling Now" magazine. This precluded me from posting pictures elsewhere on the internet, understandably so, hence my having to withdraw from the GB. However..... I have bought the Revell/Monogram kit of the same aircraft AND hopefully the Cutting Edge correction set for the nacelles, so with a bit of luck if all arrives in the post in time, I'll re-enter the GB with this kit.

Bf110boxlid.jpg

If you want to see the Eduard build, go to http://www.scalemodellingnow.com/

Max

Edited by galgos

In anticipation of the kit arriving from Kev, and since modelling time is short with other model commitments, I've made a start using a spare G2 that I have, using the bits of course which are common to the G2 and G4. So the cockpit is nearly complete apart from adding the schrage-musik cannon (a bulkhead for the s-m fit was included in the G2 fit, which was lucky) and seat belts to the pilot's and crew seat.

cockpit2.jpg

In further anticipation of Jens finding the Cutting Edge correction set for the nacelles (he's recently moved house) I've used the G2 wings and cut out the area for the replacements. If push comes to shove I'll use the G4 nacelles, though they do look wrong!

wingnacellecut.jpg

It's interesting building the old Revell/Monogram offering and the new Eduard kits in parallel - the older kit has got a lot going for it.

More soon I hope.

Max

The G4 kit arrived today so I've been doing a few further bits and pieces in the cockpit, though nothing to completion, but I decided to have the leading edge wing slats down, using resin pieces from the Verlinden kit. Cut out and ready to fit:

wingsslats.jpg

At the risk of further boring old fish face, a few more shots of progress using the Verlinden resin set for leading edge slats and flaps on the wings, and the gun bay in the nose:

completewing.jpg

A trial fit only - the "internal fillets" in the wings at the flap edges will be filled in with Squadron putty before the wings are primed.

verlindennose.jpg

The cannons make up into really fine detailed ones. I may put one in position but the other one will be on the bench being serviced. The forward blank in the kit fuselage being cut away ready for the resin lower nose section and the upper bulkhead (not shown).

verlindengunbay.jpg

With careful cutting and a bit of sanding, the fit is very good.

wingjoin.jpg

The wings join by a slightly odd asymmetrical arrangement under the fuselage.

Bleedin' 'eck, lad - you ain't hanging about with this one, are you? :)

I guess I'd better get a move on with the big 110 I got on my bench...

hee hee

Looing good so far - I mean yours, of course! Mine is still just a jumble of disconnected bits right now...

Kev

Oh Yikes!

What's your name? "Speedy Gone-Galgos"????? ;)

With only 19 days to go, and hardly anything done on mine, I shall have to buckle down on Tuesday (as I'm unlikely to get the time before then!).

Nice build you're achieving there! Looking forward to seeing that completed.

Kev

The supercharger on the starboard engine is moulded at the wrong angle. The easiest way of correcting it is to join the two halves together and then when dry cut off the forward cylindrical section. The aft section can then be glued in place:

scharger.jpg

and then the forward section added so that the longer edge of the cylinder is at the top.

The model was given a light coat of Alclad primer, pre-shaded and then the wings lightly sprayed with RLM 76, light blue

preshade3.jpg

Max

After a couple more fine coats of RLM 76, the mottled effect is started using thinned RLM 75.

spots2.jpg

The plane will be finished as G9+KC flown by Lt Werner Barthel of Stab II./NJG 1 in late 1944.

Max

Well, I suppose one must bestow a little praise upon you old fellow. The tenacity shown is a good example to many. And the quality of workmanship is quite commendable. If no one else were entering you might be in with a chance. :bleh:

Seriously though, it is looking neat. I have never used Alclad primer - other than for the alu. finishes - is it the same stuff or something else. I assume as you are using it it is an advantage? I usually use a spray of silver - which reveals any defects I have not already noticed. I think in fact it is produced in Norwich.

Oh and Kev - Max is newly retired!!

Four coats of Klear and the decals are being added using Microsol and Microset.

decals2.jpg

decals1.jpg

David, I opted for Alclad primer because I wanted some measure of control over spraying it, which I can never get using Halford's spray cans. But I'll never use it in my airbrush again: it quite quickly clogged the brush up and despite using Alclad airbrush cleaner, it took me an hour and complete airbrush disassembly to clean it "thoroughly", as I thought. But even then, the next time I used the airbrush, I still had problems with tiny specks of the stuff. Perhaps I was using it wrongly....but I did what it said on the tin!

Oh, and thank you for the almost-compliment - should be pleased I suppose! :hmmm::doh:

Your old pal Max

Hmmm... not heard of clogging before - but never used it. Have you tried "silver" - I sue the Revell acrylic which is quite reasonably priced and is quite concentrated so thinning with water makes it quite economical. Yes - good model - you seem to have got this one well on stream and seem to be enjoying more than usual.

PS you might like to contact Alclad and ask them about the clogging http://www.alclad2.com/contactus.html

although you may have already done so of course.

Edited by miduppergunner

Hmmm... not heard of clogging before - but never used it. Have you tried "silver" - I sue the Revell acrylic which is quite reasonably priced and is quite concentrated so thinning with water makes it quite economical. Yes - good model - you seem to have got this one well on stream and seem to be enjoying more than usual.

PS you might like to contact Alclad and ask them about the clogging http://www.alclad2.com/contactus.html

although you may have already done so of course.

The trouble is that Alclad primer dries very quickly, even when brushed on it "thickens" rapidly. It's a good idea (the best one you've had in years) about contacting Alclad, will do that. Yes I am enjoying this build - the Revell/Monogram kit in my opinion is better than the Eduard one that I'm making for Scale Modelling Now, and I'm afraid that will be reflected in the review article! I think I'll end up with a whole Geschwader of Bf110G-4s! Here's one I made earlier!!!

DSCN1364.jpg

DSCN1368.jpg

Max

Edited by galgos

Ah-hah... thanks for the info, miduppergunner - no wonder he's rattling through this one so damn quick! Mind you... I got a nasty shock when I saw the last post - until I read the text and realised that he was using the old "Blue Peter" trick! LOL!

Max - progress is looking good. I have had a stall in mine, due to some rather frustrating PC problem which has taken a lot of my attention to solve (despite the so-called help from the authoring software company's 'support staff' - sheesh!). Combined with jobhunting and juggling finances to keep the wolves from the door - it's curtailed my desires to get building!

I'm about ready to start paint and serious construction work, so I guess I'd better declare myself 'in' and post a pic or two...

I'll catch up with you, don't you worry! :)

Cheers

Kev

You'll have to be quick Kev:

decalled1.jpg

decalled2.jpg

Adding the decals just about complete, followed by a light spray of Klear/flatbase mix to dull the surfaces. Then the wing navigation lights and iconic exhausts and flamedampers were added, the ends having been drilled and hollowed out previously:

exhaustssideview.jpg

exhaustsfrontview.jpg

exhaustrearview1.jpg

and then exhaust staining applied after a wash of Pro-modeller's dark dirt. The canopy has been masked ready so just the undercarriage to go really!!

Max

Getting near to completion, a couple more decals to add, the canopy and cockpit area to fit out and of course the radar aerials. The Gruppen Kommandeur has come along for an unannounced inspection and manages to get himself in every shot!

hptm4.jpg

hptm3.jpg

hptm1.jpg

Max

Here's one I made earlier!!!

Oh no you didn't you untruthful old reprobate ... that is a real one you have "photochopped". I recognise it from somewhere else. :bleh:

However, you are still maintaining the standard set earlier.

It is interesting to know that you consider this kit better than the Eduard one - perhaps it is Revell being a bit partisan ast the 177 was also a good kit - must see if I can resurrect mine.

Lord Norfolk