2 seaters v single seaters

Gary West

I think 2 seaters are ace for things like flying with a friend, but it must get drafty if you're on your own.

Typhoon 2-seater = cool

F-16 2 seater = funny looking

Spit 2 seater = weird

That's all I can think of for now.

I disagree on the A-10... I'm planning on getting one of the 2-seaters from Hobby Boss when they finally hit these shores. :)

From some angles the Harrier looks a bit dorky with 2 seats, as does the Jag, but from others they look quite purposeful.

Gary,

I am fairly similar as I also love most twin seater versions of single seat aircraft, namely:

Hunter T.x

Lightning T.x

Mirage 2000B/D/N + export versions

A-7K

Harrier T.10

Jag T.x

Some aircraft look barely any different, such as the F-15D over the F-15C whilst some aircraft can look really ugly in their two seat form, for me:

Harrier T.2/4/8 (I still live 'em though!)

F-106B

Mirage IIIB (Whereas Cheetah Ds and Panteras are lovely!)

I'm a big trainer fan so twin seats doesn't bother me like it may do other people. What about when an aircraft that is commonly known as a twin seater was converted to single seat ?

-Hawk 200

-Gnat F.1

-L-159 ( :) )

Cheers,

Ed

I think that some of the American two-seats are just weird looking - Thunderbolt, Corsair, Panther but the Super Sabre, Thunderchief and Voodoo look cool (look Ma no F numbers!!!!) :whistling:

Conversely I think that the single seat Gnat look kind of odd too!

Going against the grain somewhat, but in my opinion, the single seater usually looks better! Especially true in the case of the Typhoon and F-16 - both look ungainly and somewhat humpbacked in twin stick form, especially the Tiffy. Two seat Harriers as well, all ugly as sin - appealing and interesting regardless, but bloody ungainly all the same!

Single Seater looks best:

Typhoon

F-16

Viggen

F-15

Any Harrier

Anything Russian (see MiG-25U for an interesting looking if bloody odd machine)

Classical Brit stuff (Hunter, Lightning, abominations looks wise in twin stick form IMHO compared to the sleek and brutal single seaters respectively)

Twin seater looks best:

Gripen

Jag

Hawk (Hawk 200 looks very awkward compared to the smooth lines of the pre-100 series Hawks)

However whilst I say this, the twin seat ones I've listed as being ugly are still subjects I'd like to model - ugly can be appealing when it comes to (plastic) models, see the A-10 and Apache as proof :D

I generally think that 2 seaters can look nicer than single seaters, prime example for me is the Jaguar. The GR1/3's look ok, but the T2/4's are aesthetically so much better, far more 'elegant' and streamlined looking. :clap2:

Though I do know a man who might possibly just dissagree with that. (Steve ....? :whistling: )

B)

Going against the grain somewhat, but in my opinion, the single seater usually looks better! Especially true in the case of the Typhoon and F-16 - both look ungainly and somewhat humpbacked in twin stick form, especially the Tiffy. Two seat Harriers as well, all ugly as sin - appealing and interesting regardless, but bloody ungainly all the same!

Single Seater looks best:

Typhoon

F-16

Viggen

F-15

Any Harrier

Anything Russian (see MiG-25U for an interesting looking if bloody odd machine)

Classical Brit stuff (Hunter, Lightning, abominations looks wise in twin stick form IMHO compared to the sleek and brutal single seaters respectively)

Twin seater looks best:

Gripen

Hawk (Hawk 200 looks very awkward compared to the smooth lines of the pre-100 series Hawks)

However whilst I say this, the twin seat ones I've listed as being ugly are still subjects I'd like to model - ugly can be appealing when it comes to (plastic) models, see the A-10 and Apache as proof :D

Thank god, you've saved me a lot of typing.

Definately prefer the single seaters, the Harriers, Jags, Eurofighter and F16's all look bloody horrible in their two seater configs.

The only aicraft that look better with 2 seats are the ones that were designed from the outset to have 2 seats (Hawk, Tornado, F14 etc)

And nobody can tell me the Meteor T7 and Vampire T11 look better than the singe seat examples.

I'll give you the Jaguar, but then it was designed as a twin seater in the first place!

I'm a big trainer fan so twin seats doesn't bother me like it may do other people. What about when an aircraft that is commonly known as a twin seater was converted to single seat ?

-Gnat F.1

-

Other was around - the F1 came first!

Well for the Meteor I can :wicked:

It won't be too long now before WA591 gets back into the air, she's being rebuilt locally by a bunch of enthusiasts....rumour has it the project may be resited to Kemble.

For info, go to www.themeteorflight.com , their web site needs a good old modelling update!

• 2 months later...

The Hawk 200 and single-seat Pucara (IA-58C?) looks like they've forgotten half the canopy, but then again I suppose they sorta did :lol: I might remember the sequence wrong, but the Mitsu F-1 looks ok for a single derived from a twin (the T-2). Twin-seat Vipers look good - IF they have a spine! Otherwise the canopy looks a bit like an afterthought. Always did like the Harrier T.2/4. Looks sleeker than the GR.1/3.

Gripen is always cool, be it single or twin :coolio:

:viking: