Iwata Revolution CR Airbrush

An airbrush is a tool that, once acquired, quickly becomes indispensible. I know this to be true because my old Badger airbrush packed up a couple of weeks ago and life hasn’t been the same since. Models that I was looking forward to painting suddenly filled me with a sense of panic as I realised I could not finish them to my liking. There was nothing else for it; the Badger was gone and it wasn’t coming back. I had to bite the bullet and find a new partner in crime. I considered a new Badger (after all I still had the spare needles and tips) but, being on a budget owing to the unexpected nature of my airbrushlessness, I had to rule that out. I was tempted by the Premi-Air G35, but in the end I plumped for the basic model in the Iwata range – the Revolution.

iwata2.jpg

The Revolution series is marketed by Iwata as an ideal introduction to airbrushing whilst, they claim, still being suitable for users of all levels. I am by no means an airbrushing expert (not by a long chalk), but having been used to a decent dual-action gravity-feed airbrush, I was hoping that Iwata’s product would live up to the marketing. Happily I can report that it does. The Revolution arrives in a sturdy rubberised plastic case containing the airbrush itself, a lid for the paint cup and a small spanner for removing the paint nozzle/ All this is held in place by grey foam packing material. This particular model is the Revolution CR, which features a large 9ml paint cup and a 0.5mm paint nozzle fitted as standard. As you might expect from a company with Iwata’s reputation, the Revolution feels like a quality product. This chrome beauty feels reassuringly solid in the hand, which is not surprising given the all-metal construction. It also features a slightly contoured handle designed to make painting over long periods a slightly more comfortable experience for the user. The balance of the airbrush is nice and neutral too.

iwata3.jpg

The trigger has a smooth, positive action with the spring mechanism providing a nice amount of resistance, although it does feel a little stiffer than the Badger I’m used to. Being a dual action airbrush, the user can easily control both air and paint flow with one finger. The trigger features a fair amount of horizontal travel too, which translates into a lot of control over the flow of paint. With the trigger drawn fully back, this airbrush is capable of emptying its voluminous paint cup quite quickly. The 0.5mm nozzle is designed to make painting wider areas nice and easy, but care will be have to be taken to make sure the subject does not become saturated. Having said that, this airbrush is definitely no blunt instrument. With a little more restraint, very fine lines are possible. This is something I had always struggled to achieve with the Badger, even with a fine needle and head combination in place (although this may be a result of my own lack of skill). With the Iwata, I’m genuinely astonished at how easy it is to spray very fine lines. For particularly fine lines, the needle cap can be removed to allow the user to get the end of the brush even closer to the model. I had expected this to result in some splattering, but I needn’t have worried. Nevertheless, care will have to be taken to avoid bending the tip of the needle when the needle cap is removed. For even finer work, a 0.3mm nozzle and needle are available, thus adding to the versatility of the airbrush. The large paint cup is an advantage if you are spraying a lot of one colour in a session, but I can see how it might get on some users’ nerves. Personally, I’m used to a big paint cup. If you’re not, or if you prefer a smaller one, the Revolution BR, with its 1.8ml cup, might be more to your tastes.

iwata5.jpg

Cleaning the Revolution is a simple affair. A quick squirt of thinner or airbrush cleaner is enough to flush out most left-over paint from the cup. Backflushing is easily achieved by covering the needle cap with a cloth for a slightly more thorough clean. For deeper cleaning the airbrush will have to be stripped down and fortunately Iwata make this relatively painless. The needle cap and nozzle cap unscrew from the body of the airbrush by hand, exposing the needle and the nozzle itself. The nozzle is a tiny component and great care will be needed to avoid damaging it, particularly as it has to be removed by the supplied spanner. I’m willing to bet it’s very easy to lose too, so I might be investing in a spare in the near future. The rear of the airbrush can also be unscrewed by hand to reveal the needle chucking guide, spring, spring guide and needle chucking nut. Loosening the chucking nut allows the needle to be withdrawn completely for cleaning, replacing or lubricating. The airbrush comes supplied with a small sample tube of Iwata’s own lubricant (mine actually came with two) which they recommend you apply periodically to keep everything running nice and smoothly.

iwata4.jpg

Conclusion

This lovely airbrush is a real pleasure to use. Its versatility and user friendliness will endear it to owners and with a little care, particularly with the nozzle, it should prove to be a durable tool. I ordered mine from an official Iwata dealer so it came with a 10 year guarantee, which provides real peace of mind in case anything does go wrong. The usual retail price is around £80, which in my opinion offers very good value for money.

Airbrush supplied by SBX Models of Ipswich, courtesy of my poor credit card.

Edited by Paul A H
  • Like 2

I am suprised no one has commented, it is an excellent review thanks Paul and deserves a slot on the fron page.

I agree. I just don´t know how I missed it. Thanks for a good interview.

I too have one of these after getting by with a Revell Student+ for a many years. Have to say is was a revelation and makes life a doddle. The only problem I've had is spraying metallic colours such as Humbrol 11 and 56 and even Mr Metal but this may be down to my thinning & pressure settings.

Thanks everyone

I'm just about to order one of these, what the best price out there?

TIA.

Jonathan

I bought mine from SBX Models in Ipswich via their mail order service. They are currently offering 10% off this brush and free postage, so I paid £71.99. That's about the best price I could find in the UK once postage is factored in.

HTH

Paul

Thanks for that Paul, airbrushes.com are offering a 10%, free can of lube :-) and free postage, £72.89, so might just hit that order button.

No problem. Mine came with a couple of the little tubes of 'super-lube'. (they don't look like the sort of thing you'd expect to use on an airbrush though... :whistle: )

Ordered mine, be interesting to put it through its paces with the camo on my Leopold.

..no idea what a Leopold is but the PremiAir G35 does a pretty good impression of the CR at around £35 for anyone just wanting to put a toe in the water..haven't picked up my Badgers since I got it. I like to think I could upgrade to the CR but I can't for the life of me see any difference between the two brushes...I guess its all in the 'feel' and the 'action' ..any experts care to comment ?

Edited by FalkeEins

..no idea what a Leopold is but the PremiAir G35 does a pretty good impression of the CR at around £35 for anyone just wanting to put a toe in the water..haven't picked up my Badgers since I got it. I like to think I could upgrade to the CR but I can't for the life of me see any difference between the two brushes...I guess its all in the 'feel' and the 'action' ..any experts care to comment ?

I've got the G35, its good but seems to lack a consistency when it comes to spraying very fine lines.

I've got the G35, its good but seems to lack a consistency when it comes to spraying very fine lines.

If you are looking for fine lines, the HP-CR might not be the best choice. 0,5mm nozzle isn´t the ideal for thin lines. It´s an OK alround brush, but not a detailer.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

Looking at the Iwata airbrush range. Question, what are the the main pros and cons between gravity feed and suction feed?

John

Gravity fed airbrushes need less air pressure (especially for thicker paint), and because of that will generate less overspray.

Siphon fed airbrushes only real advantage is the larger and changeable cups. Nothing thats really necessary for modelling.

• 6 years later...

Good review! I was fortunate enough to win this airbrush in a random draw in another community I belong to, and am really looking forward to owning a good airbrush! Hasta lluego, cheap Chinese airbrushes hehehe!

• 1 month later...

So, while recovering from an operation I've decided to get stuck back into my growing pile of unmade kits. I've made it until now without an airbrush, however feel its about time I made the jump onto them. This review has been great! But I have a question: Do I need anything on top of the airbrush? I've seen compressors sold separately, so would I need to buy one of those also?

Cheers

Duane

• 1 month later...

Firstly, great review Paul. I'm looking at replacing my suction fed Paasche as I'm sick of the paint drying/clogging inside irrelevant of how much I've thinned it, and then if I up the pressure, I get the overspray. I can rarely get through a small half cup of paint before having to strip and clean the thing. I'm sure it's me, but I get the impression the gravity feeds are the better option, and subsequently more reliable with less air going through, there's less opportunity to dry the paint.

On 5/2/2017 at 3:21 AM, duane said:

So, while recovering from an operation I've decided to get stuck back into my growing pile of unmade kits. I've made it until now without an airbrush, however feel its about time I made the jump onto them. This review has been great! But I have a question: Do I need anything on top of the airbrush? I've seen compressors sold separately, so would I need to buy one of those also?

Cheers

Duane

Duane, You will indeed need a compressor, and likely will also need an adaptor from the compressor to the hose for the airbrush. I would also recommend a moisture trap if the compressor you buy doesn't come with one. Finally, whatever you do, try and get one with a tank (the large the better). The tank holds the compressed air, which means that you get a more even flow of air, and additionally means the compressor is running less often than if you were just pumping the air straight to the airbrush.

• Like 1