Hawk 200 - Possible Weapon Configurations

Jimd1971

Hi Gents

I'm just starting on the 1/48 Airfix Hawk 100 with the Neomega Hawk 200 single seat conversion with the aim of doing a TNI-AU (Indonesian) Hawk 209 and I'm after information about possible weapon load outs. Can't seem to find much information about specific hardpoint load limits or restrictions for the Hawk 200, so I've only got photos to go off.

Currently I'm looking at the following

Centre line - Empty

Inner Pylon - Drop Tanks (large type from airfix kit)

Outer Pylon - AGM-65? Maverick ASM

Wing Tips - AIM-9L Sidewinder AAM

Can anyone see anything wrong with this load out or can anyone recommend a different load out? Could the centre line gun pack be carried with the above wing loads?

Thanks in advance

Jim (from the great southern land)

Hi Jim,

Sounds like an interesting conversion. The 200 series Hawk has the standard 7 station wing (or EGA (Enhanced Ground Attack) wing as it was originally known within Bae). Without examining the release to service documentation, which I would not be allowed to divulge if I could (although it is possible that they may be cleared for a large number of American munitions), I would say that your assessment of your intended weapon load out would sounds pretty well OK.

HTH

Derek

(Bae Systems Hawk Airworthiness Engineer)

Jim - one other option MIGHT be the ACMI pods - sidewinders without fins etc (tele data pods?) The BAe versions occassionally carried them - quite possibly only for PR pics, but they look good wearing them.

Thanks for that Gary

I'm looking at doing my second Hawk kit as one of our RAAF Hawk 127 dual seaters which will feature the ACMI training sidewinders and drop tanks, so my thinking is that this TNI-AU Hawk 209 will be fully bombed up with a heavy war load as a stark contrast to the light training armament that our own RAAF Hawks get around with.

But your right mate the ACMI pods do look good on the little Hawks

Jim

Jim,

Covered this a while ago, although the kit went to land fill. You need also to extend the fin height, also I found the nose shape didnt look right and wasnt "plump" you may need to reshape it, my original was to pointed.

Good luck

Les

Jim,

Is this the sort of thing that you were looking for?

Mk.200Stores.jpg

Derek

That perfect thanks Derek

Do you know if I will need to fit a seperate targeting pod such as a AN/AAQ14 (See link below) to handle the IR imaging for the Maverick's and/or laser target designation for the GBU-12 Paveway II's? Or are these built into the Hawk 209 airframe?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ons/lantirn.htm

If so a nice looking warload would be as follows

Centre line - AN/AAQ14

Inner Wing - AGM-65 Maverick

Outer Wing - GBU-12 Paveway II's

Wing Tips - AIM-9 Sidewinder

But I suspect a more realistic load out would be as above but either 4 x Mavericks or 4 x Paveway's as both weapons seem to do the same nasty things to the same types of ground targets and I can't see much advantage in mixing up these two types of weapons on the one sortie,

Kind Regards

Jim

Edited by Jimd1971

Hi Jim,

Glad the table helped. The radar fitted to the Hawk 200 series of aircraft is a modified version of one very similar to that fitted to the F-16. It therfore has both intercept and look down search modes. However, I suspect that you are right about the fitting of additional pods in order to provides some 'eyes' for the laser guided weapons (I suspect that the Malysians would already employ these types of pods on their American aircraft, and would therefore expect 'commonality' on their Hawk 200's as well?). I know that it's difficult, but phgotographs of approriately armed Hawk 209's are going to be your only confirmation of this hypothesis.

Good luck

Derek

That perfect thanks Derek

Do you know if I will need to fit a seperate targeting pod such as a AN/AAQ14 (See link below) to handle the IR imaging for the Maverick's and/or laser target designation for the GBU-12 Paveway II's? Or are these built into the Hawk 209 airframe?

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...ons/lantirn.htm

If so a nice looking warload would be as follows

Centre line - AN/AAQ14

Inner Wing - AGM-65 Maverick

Outer Wing - GBU-12 Paveway II's

Wing Tips - AIM-9 Sidewinder

But I suspect a more realistic load out would be as above but either 4 x Mavericks or 4 x Paveway's as both weapons seem to do the same nasty things to the same types of ground targets and I can't see much advantage in mixing up these two types of weapons on the one sortie,

Kind Regards

Jim

Jim - you wouldn't need a pod for Mavericks; these have their own guidance system in the missile (the IIR seekers came in handy as ad hoc FLIR on A-10s during Desert Storm - until, of course, they were launched...).

I'm not sure if the Indonesians have designator pods, and if they do, they may not be cleared for use on the Hawk; if they do have pods (and if they don't, they won't have GBU-12), then it may be that you'd see the Hawks used as bomb truckswith designation provided from another aircraft (rather as RAF Jag GR1Bs designated for Harriers during Op DELIBERATE FORCE).

I think that you'd need AIM-9P rather than the 9-Lima for Indonesian Hawks (an AIM-9J should do the job).