Your Webspace

Mike

An awful lot of you use photo hosting sites like Photobucket, Imageshack, Flickr etc., but these sites have limits to the bandwidth that you can use each month, they have their problems. A number of members seem to have reached their limits lately, so I'm guessing that the hosts (particularly Photobucket) have reduced these limits, or your models are becoming so popular that you're using up your allowances so quickly.

Did you know that most internet accounts from Virgin, Demon, BT and so forth also often include a large chunk of webspace for you to use? I know mine includes 100mb of space that's accessible by using a simple FTP client (application), some of which are available as freeware or shareware off th'internet.

So. Check your ISP's terms & conditions, see if you've got some webspace, then check their FAQs to see how you go about using it. Sure, it won't be as user friendly as Photobucket et al, but if it saves you some inconvenience, and possibly some money, it's worth learning a new skill for, isn't it? ;)

24/7 - as with any other internet site.

As a former ISP marketroid I ccan report that only a very small fraction of these free webspace allocations are actually used.

As Mike says - go check with your ISP. They should have instructions somewhere on their websites - or call their support teams.

I have Core FTP Lite here - freebie FTP client that works fine :)

Iain

ISP?

I am a pc internet stupid!!

any guidence?

I thought of that... hover your mouse over it and you'll see the text "internet service provider"... another cool & underused feature of our forum software ;)

24/7 - as with any other internet site.

As a former ISP marketroid I ccan report that only a very small fraction of these free webspace allocations are actually used.

As Mike says - go check with your ISP. They should have instructions somewhere on their websites - or call their support teams.

I have Core FTP Lite here - freebie FTP client that works fine :)

Iain

ok ive downloaded that, and filled stuff out but im lost now, is it a website or just a storage area? ive transfered a picture to the site but i cant see it!

ok ive downloaded that, and filled stuff out but im lost now, is it a website or just a storage area? ive transfered a picture to the site but i cant see it!

It is essentially just storage, your ISP should provide you with the following so that you can use your webspace

- the address of the webspace

- Your user name

- your password

Using the above you can use any simple file transfer program like FileZilla and uploading a photo to your webspace is as easy as dragging and dropping it into a window.

After this you just copy and paste the address of the image in your posts

Here is an example of what your ISP will provide you with - in this case Virgin

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/webspace/access_settings.php

It depends how your ISP has it set up... it could just be like a "remote disk", but you'd think that most of them would have a web server set up as well. You need to find out what the URL of something that's on your webspace is. It'll be something like

http://myspace.virgin.net/mattbacon/picture1.jpg or

http://public.demon.co.uk/~mattbacon/picture1.jpg

In general, the link will be something of the form http://hostname/username/filedirectory/filename.extension

You need to find out from your ISPs documentation what the "hostname" is (the web server where your files are), what your username for the host is (it'll probably be your ISP username, but it might be just a part of it, or your might set up another "alias" just like here your username or "handle" is not always your real name) and whether there are any file directories (folders) inside your space (often there is a "public" folder and a private folder - there are 10 default subfolders on my Apple iDisk, for different kinds of contents and with different permissions and user interfaces...)

Once you've got the above, you can make a link to anything in your space, and (as long as they DO have a webserver running) it will appear in your post...

HTH... and I defer to Iain, who's still current on this stuff, whereas I stopped doing it for real several years back...

bestest,

M.

ok ive got all that but i cant get to my site

can somone else try for me

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/marksmodels

according to core ftp ive trransfered an immage

Add the name of that image to your URL matey - for example http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/marksmodels/mybottom.jpg Geddit? :)

In my experience, a lot of webspace doesn't allow you to just look at a directory/folder - it needs a file name or it'll return the 404 - file not found error. I guess that's to provide the owner of the files with some degree of privacy? :shrug: Pipex and Demon were two that required the exact filename :)

Add the name of that image to your URL matey - for example http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/marksmodels/mybottom.jpg Geddit? :)

In my experience, a lot of webspace doesn't allow you to just look at a directory/folder - it needs a file name or it'll return the 404 - file not found error. I guess that's to provide the owner of the files with some degree of privacy? :shrug: Pipex and Demon were two that required the exact filename :)

i have a feeling that tiscali, havent finished setting it up yet, perhapse i was too keen

i have a feeling that tiscali, havent finished setting it up yet, perhapse i was too keen

It's possible - they are crap! :lol: Sometimes these things do take a while to get propogated or whatever it is that ISPs do. You can also get some delays in your files appearing on the webspace, although I'm talking from experience several years ago now :)

What was the name of the file you uploaded?

It's possible - they are crap! :lol: Sometimes these things do take a while to get propogated or whatever it is that ISPs do. You can also get some delays in your files appearing on the webspace, although I'm talking from experience several years ago now :)

What was the name of the file you uploaded?

100_1057.jpg

a bucc photo

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/marksmodels/100_1057.jpg

Not showing up - have you activated your webspace here?

yep done all that

im going to leave it for a while and see if tiscali catch up

men time

does anyone know a good free website host, preferally uk based

ive seen a few out there that are free for limited use (which is what ill do) but can anyone recomed one

I used to use the webspace that freeserve offered, was superb could simply upload pics onto it, then use them opening the page I would see the files listed, open them and use the Image URL to post them, but along the line they changed it to requiring a website style approach which screwed it up so I stopped using it.....

hover my mouse over what?

am i that stupid?

Hover your mouse over the acronym... I set it up so that it would reveal itself if you do that :)

Hover your mouse over the acronym... I set it up so that it would reveal itself if you do that :)

thats clever how do you do that then

by the way my webspace is still knarkered, ill stick to photobook

I'd love to use mine but I'm damned if I can work out how to access my BT Digital Vault as it's my missus who's primary account holder?

Andy

You should have a 'Britmodeller' Photobucket account which is premium, with all the bells and whistles, such as image tools. Offer the logins to those who bung a few quid at you to help upkeep this resource ;)

I have a Photobucket Premium account and I love it.

I'd love to use mine but I'm damned if I can work out how to access my BT Digital Vault as it's my missus who's primary account holder?

Andy

I think your digital vault might be different from webspace Andy. As far as I can work out, that's like a couple of meg of off-site backup they provide you with. Webspace will be different. A quick look round your ISP's help pages will usually pull up something useful - search under "webspace". That's how I found mine - even though I already knew what I was looking for, every ISP has a slightly different proposition, so you need to sort yourself out with instructions yourselves :)

still connot hover over ISP...

does O2 do that web space?

If you change provider then what?

it may not work for everyone, ISP's normally provide free web hosting for customers, but it is so cheap to buy a space and a domain name now. I ran my own from home, but the problem was it was always being attacked dispite all the provisions and firewalls, so it better off to go to the big boys and there services

http://www.thetop10bestwebhosting.com/ukg

been considering doing this myself, I currently pay for the addition space on picturetrail, but that now at it limit and I have to keep deleting stuff.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys and Gals, I am new to the forums and this is my first post. Reading the above I gather that some members may be in need of some web space. If the demand is there I may be able help out (for a small charge) as I have a resseller account with a Web Hosting company. If any body is interested let me know and I will see what i can do.

Cheers

Tom