Farnborough 50'-59' scans

Hi Everyone.

Myself and my sisters have recently been going through my late grandfathers slide collection. Much to my delight i discovered a small collection of pictures labelled "Farnborough 1950 -59".

My grandfather used to work for DeHavilland at Hatfield in the engine department as foreman, and later with rolls royce at Leavesden. Here is a small selection of some of the pics i've found, i'll post some more if anyones interested :)

1:

bc7c7585.jpg

2:

4cb1822a.jpg

3:

da62a4c7.jpg

4:

0edc5af4.jpg

5:

8486673f.jpg

6:

abfbe5a9.jpg

7:

0cb8393a.jpg

8:

1651f7c0.jpg

9:

c821e300.jpg

10:

9012cd69.jpg

Chris

More please! What a wonderful line up.

I would be interested in how you scanned these, slides get dirty and discolour but yours are very good. Did you use a dedicated slide scanner like the Nikon Coolscans or a flatbed?

Regards

David

More please! What a wonderful line up.

I would be interested in how you scanned these, slides get dirty and discolour but yours are very good. Did you use a dedicated slide scanner like the Nikon Coolscans or a flatbed?

Regards

David

I believe the slides would have only been looked at by my grandfather as to be honest the rest of the family on that side, was never really interested. The slides were all filed in a nice dark atache case, so hence why i think they are still in great condition.

After some research i opted for a flatbed photo scanner over a dedicated slide one, as it would become redundant after all the scanning has been done. I opted for the Epson V300.. a bargain at £80 i'd say. First time i've scanned slides as well :)

I believe the slides would have only been looked at by my grandfather as to be honest the rest of the family on that side, was never really interested. The slides were all filed in a nice dark atache case, so hence why i think they are still in great condition.

After some research i opted for a flatbed photo scanner over a dedicated slide one, as it would become redundant after all the scanning has been done. I opted for the Epson V300.. a bargain at £80 i'd say. First time i've scanned slides as well :)

and a brilliant job you've made of it too!

Wouldn't image No.3 make a great diarama?

David

Some lovely pics here. I have to disagree though with jaguarfan - in most cases those piccies could almost have been taken yesterday during a walkround of a good museum - Duxford or the like. It's the one of the Javelin with the Gloster Aircraft panel van that looks obviously 50's

Final 8 for now....

Black arrows and some people shots. My grandfather is the second from the left in pic 28 :D If anyone can put names t any others pictured it may help to see why my grandfather photographed them......

21:

ffa305c4.jpg

22:

b2f898b3.jpg

23:

8dfeb991.jpg

24:

f201b9ff.jpg

25:

92aee60a.jpg

26:

c51729b7.jpg

27:

c51729b7-1.jpg

28:

1dd01cc2.jpg

Thanks for looking....

Chris

Some wonderful photos of the era when Britain had an variety of aircraft.

Do you have any of the experimental types that flew at Farnborough like the FD.1 or Avro test aircraft for the Vulcan ?

Robert

Some wonderful photos of the era when Britain had an variety of aircraft.

Do you have any of the experimental types that flew at Farnborough like the FD.1 or Avro test aircraft for the Vulcan ?

Robert

Not that i can see i'm afraid.... :(

Hi Chris.

Thank you for those excellent pictures, took me back to my teens, my first SBAC was 1956, and I still have the programme, Price 1 shilling. I attended all the shows until 1960 then went into the RAF, and was actually stationed at IAM Farnborough in 1961, I remember well the 22 Hunters doing the loop and roll in formation, and the Vulcan 'scramble' when you had four aircraft going down the runway together, an amazing spectacle that made the ground shake. As a lot of the pictures are taken from the non-public side of the airfield, your grandfather must have been someone of note. Great selection.

Robin.

What a freaking goldmine of photos!! The shot of the Javelin really shows what a brutishly beautiful aircraft it was! I love the color of the time as well. Really makes the period stand out.

Now where is my Dynavector Javelin? I am reinspired!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these pics. History comes back to life!!

Cheers

Mike

Terrific....it goes without saying that he was a very talented photographer. They also bring home the amazing standard of aircraft design of that era, when you get a contemporary car parked next to it....

Some lovely pics here. I have to disagree though with jaguarfan - in most cases those piccies could almost have been taken yesterday during a walkround of a good museum - Duxford or the like. It's the one of the Javelin with the Gloster Aircraft panel van that looks obviously 50's

As do the Buccaneer, Lightning (check the truck), the silver and dayglo Jet provost and the Westland Whirlwind helicopter with the details of the powerplant on the side.