What's flying over your house?

itsafokker

.......birds.........clouds...........more birds.........more clouds..... :tumble:

Airbus, Airbus, Airbus, Boeing, Boeing, Airbus, Boeing, Boeing, Airbus ... and the occasional Cherokee. Dull, dull, dull.

swap my birds and clouds for your Airbuses and Boeings?

Intermitent civvies going into a landing pattern, had a Beluga over here once and when the Vulcan was transiting to Southport last year it flew over (according to my neighbours-I was at the show)

Forgot to mention before, but there used to be a drinker at our local that would come over the village in his Jet Provost every Sunday. Don't quite know what happened to that, but he doesn't come any more :crying:

Edited by F111Fan

Plenty of Commercial traffic heading due west or due east in and out of Stanstead, the local Apaches, Sea King and Police chopper (EC145 I think) from Wattisham, and some light GA stuff at the weekends.

But every now and again I get one (or two) of Maurice Hammond's P-51's beating up Raydon- Bliss!

Military-wise all we get over here now is Gazelles and Islander/Defenders. Used to be great here during the troubles where every sort of helicopter was here and Herks and VC-10's were aplenty.

The polis now have their own choppers, 2 it seems, an EC-135 and a Squirrel.

Plenty of civil stuff from Geordie Best City Airport, and Aldergrove's not far away either.

Generally VC-10s and C-17s from Brize (with the odd Tristar).

Vulcan - a lot last summer whilst on vacation at Brize :)

When there have been deployments to Fairford we get the B-52s (and were under one of the holds for RIAT display a/c).

Merlins and Pumas from Benson - normally at tree to height - and more often than not at night.

Traffic from Kemble transiting to the N/E - so Hunters etc. during display season.

Twins from Kidlington - Oxford Air Training.

Assorted GA from Enstone etc...

Scud running TNT 757s during Ash IFR closedowns - 2k' on VFR transit East Mids to Lasham.

Me in my C.152 taking a bimble over from Halton :)

Friends a/c buzzing the house :)

Iain

oh and lots of chinooks, but thats because a friend of my wives, her brother is a chinook pilot and plots his course to flyby his sister and mums houses!! (im not joking)

so it can be a bit busy!!

Yup, Many moons ago in my RAF career I went home in a Puma for the weekend and was dropped off in a field near the house, on the way back they diverted in to pick me up, there is a demolished army camp near by with a couple of buildings still in use at one end and my mum used to work there, as we climbed out I pointed it out and a plan was hatched, I was told to bung a crewmans harness on, the doors were opened and I sat on the floor with my feet on the step outside as the pilot dropped it down to zero height across the abandoned camp and we hurtled round the buildings, me waving to my Mum who had come outside as she knew what time I was departing along with several of her colleagues, we beat the place up then did a zoom climb........ mission accomplished. As I climbed back inside the Boss who was flying us asked, " so what's that place then?"....... "Oh Police HQ" I replied...... The blood drained from his face... :)

We see all sorts at this end,Typhoons,GR4 Tonkas,Harriers,BBMF,Army and Navy Lynx,Gazelles,Wokkas,King Airs,F 15s,F 16s,the odd Hunter.Seen a B 52 once,and an F 117 departing from Waddington Show one Sunday many moons ago.I have a very good recollection of seeing a Tu 95 from the school playground in about 1979 or so,very high up with a Lightning alongside.These days there is a major eastbound airway goes over here with its attendant 2 and occasional 4 holers whistling off into the blue. :)

Pretty much everything from the Shuttleworth Collection, with the odd few from Duxford now and again. Oh, and we often see Mark Jeffries practicing in the distance.

I like living here!

Of all the respondents it's you I am most jealous of!

Generally VC-10s and C-17s from Brize (with the odd Tristar).

Vulcan - a lot last summer whilst on vacation at Brize :)

When there have been deployments to Fairford we get the B-52s (and were under one of the holds for RIAT display a/c).

Merlins and Pumas from Benson - normally at tree to height - and more often than not at night.

Traffic from Kemble transiting to the N/E - so Hunters etc. during display season.

Twins from Kidlington - Oxford Air Training.

Assorted GA from Enstone etc...

Scud running TNT 757s during Ash IFR closedowns - 2k' on VFR transit East Mids to Lasham.

Me in my C.152 taking a bimble over from Halton :)

Friends a/c buzzing the house :)

Iain

Pretty much the same as 32SIG. I am quite close to Kemble and Fairford. Herkys from Lynham when low level going north skirt round my estate. Quite often see AN 124s from Brize on climb out. The Rendcomb wingwalkers are closeby as well and often hear them practising

Red kites, several of them, and it's a delight to see them so airily dismissive of the gulls, who're going absolutely demented at these interlopers.

Edgar

Red kites, several of them, and it's a delight to see them so airily dismissive of the gulls, who're going absolutely demented at these interlopers.

Edgar

We get quite a lot of them 'round these parts too. What magnificent creatures!

I managed to get a long-range photo of one at Old Warden a couple of years ago.

bird-of-prey-2.jpg

I was actuually posting at work about these, but had to close the ahem page ;) ,we have 3 buzzards that frequent the airfield and the last thing I saw the other evening before leaving was the buzzards over the main apron using the late evening thermals off the concrete to do some soaring, we get a lot of Kestrels too as well as a couple of Little owls. They are a delight to see and Air Tragic put out on the ATIS where they are seen soaring..

Round here you get a FRADU jet or two three or four times a day (if there's a pair they're always nailed together), frequently the SAR from 771 Sqn, occasional Merlin HM1, sometimes a -3. It's not unknown for a visiting Chinook, or Lynx, or Harrier, even a Typhoon from time to time, but you usually only realise it's an odditiy after the event because the noise is 'wrong'.

As far as wildlife goes, too many effing seagulls, and you will always find some emmet who insists on feeding them! Sometimes I get irritated and tell the "tourist" where the local landfill is - they can go and watch the rats if they're so inclined. :angrysoapbox.sml: I think the record was about 15 seconds before they figured out what I meant.

Nothing like it used to be, we used to have constant low level traffic exiting south-east from the Loop, all the RAF fast movers doing round the country flights, all the traffic from Chivenor & St Athan - Hawks from Valley used to use the latter for the ranges at Pembrey so lots of short sorties, they were back & fore all day! (I did a qualifying PPL cross country from Swansea to Haverfordwest back when the Hawks were green/grey. Got constant ATC warnings all the way there & back of 'fast jet pop up traffic to your 12 o'clock, 1 o'clock, 2 o'clock etc etc - never saw one of them!!) But that traffic is almost totally a thing of the past - all we've had this year has been a solitary Harrier, couple of Hawks & Tonkas, & last week a pair of F-15E's - a real rare gem these days!!

Most of the traffic now is either GA or helicopter. Wales Air Ambulance is often around as is the copper chopper & Sea Kings are often in & out of the hospital too. We also get a lot of executive choppers about too - don't know why with such a depressed economy around here. And of course there's all the upper airways North Atlantic traffic - volcanic ash allowing - & Radarvirtuel is great to find out who's just gone over!

Keef

Since the closure of Coventry, all I get is some high level commercial stuff to and from Brum or the occasional Air Ambulance. Really looking forward to next Tuesday when we get a Nimrod coming in to Cov to park up as part of Classic Aircraft's new museum.

Moffett Airfield is at the bottom of the road... home to the NASA Ames Research centre and the USAF 129th Rescue Wing of the Air National Guard. Very rarely see any NASA activity (although I hear some loud engine runs at night sometimes). The ANG operate HH-60s but mostly I see their grand MC-130P Combat Shadow Hercules'... one my riding routes is along the perimeter road at the end of the runway. Sometimes I just stop and watch that giant beast doing circuits... it's a thing of beauty.

Occasionally an element of Super Hornets out of Lemoore recover and launch out of Moffett... last year they came through before doing a flypast at the start of a college football game at Stanford University (correct me if I'm wrong... but I can't imagine two Tiffies out of Coningsby launching for a single past flyover at the Loughborough v Leicester Uni footie match ;-))

Snapped this with my iPhone as it roared over my head...

shadow.jpg

.......birds.........clouds...........more birds.........more clouds..... :tumble:

swap my birds and clouds for your Airbuses and Boeings?

Got birds, clouds, airliners, cessnas, and the odd police helichopper going chav-hunting..

We used to get loads of military jets from all the various local airbases transiting to and from the military training airspace that wasn't far from here, but as the bases have gradually closed and the flightpaths changed due to anti-terror policy, we see a whole lot less than we used to. Quite often in the summer we'd be able to see dogfighting practise over the north sea, but now they just tend to be transitional flights if we see anything.

The airspace around here is usually used when they build the formation for the Queen's birthday fly-past though, so I've had a fair few decent pics of AWACS, Nimrods and various other things over the years :)

Although according to this: http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/140428...a-friendly-act- we've been buzzed by Tu-95 Bears fairly recently..