Airfix VC10 kit

richellis

Hi,

I e-mailed airfix using This form asking them if they had any plans to re-issue the Vc10 kit, I had a reply saying

"I do apologise for the delay in replying to you. Although we currently have no plans to re-release the VC10 this year, we do keep a record of all customer requests and product suggestions, which we do take into consideration when planning all future ranges."

So the more people that e-mail asking the more chance we have of seeing it re-done, and getting a kit!

Go on! E-mail! You know you want to!

Rich sick of seeing the price of them on e-bay!

You won't get the VC-10 Airliner reissued for the simple reason I believe they altered the moulds to make the tanker version, so it would require the moulds remaking..

Think my friend has one though

Im not fussed what they re-issue, the tanker can be converted. Does your friend want to get rid to a good home????

Sent him a text

Got answer had 3 all now sold

Edited by TonyT

I want about 5 to build, and then some to stash (as you do)

Last couple I bid on went over £20 and thats too much for me!

i picked up a part built bits missing off the car boot last year for £1 but its not too good, and im doing a scraping dio with it.

I and Im sure alot of others would like to see Airfix dust off the moulds!

Edited by richellis

I know what you mean Rich - I was on the lookout for a VC10 since last year.

I had a good look around SMW 2009 and only saw one going for £18.00; I thought this was a bit much so I left it.

Earlier this month at the Cosford show and still in mind that I wanted one I saw the Welsh Models Super VC10 at a traders stand and the Mrs picked it up for £15.00. We asked if they had any Airfix VC10 particularly the early BOAC version and they had them back in the shop for about £50.00!

About an hour later I spied one of the Airfix VC10 K2 Tankers for sale at one of the display tables - got it for £6.50 :)

So I ended up with two. Now I'm looking for some BOAC decals for the Super VC10; bit skint at the moment though but hopefully I'll be able to get some at SMW 2010 :)

Karl.

see what I mean about the price, What would they be new from airfix? £9.99 ish. I just dont see why I should pay inflated pries to collectors when Airfix could re-release the kit, Tanker or Airliner not fussed!

As I said Ive got 5 models that I want to do, thats over £100. At that price I wont build them!

Hope Mark comes good, so I can do a special one for the Group Build!

I and Im sure alot of others would like to see Airfix dust off the moulds!

Problem is Rich is that it only just got dropped from the range after being around for six years, presumably because sales dropped off and space was needed in the range for other stuff.

My own personal opinion is that if it had six years to meet demand and apparently did, I can't see there being a market for it after just two years of retirement.

Its tough on people who want a kit just when its its no longer available - tell me about it I have a list a yard long!

Problem with collectors is they want it as much for the box as the plastic - I have two of the BA versions that will be built someday, different boxes, and apparently one is worth more than the other inspite of being the same kit and decals!!

I've seen the BOAC boxing sell for over £100!

Advantage of the Tanker is you have less windows to fill if you want to use decals!!

why do airfix want a phone number?

I dont give my phone number out to ANYBODY!!!

But I'd love more VC10 kits...and Super VC10 kits.....if airfix issued a new and accurate mold for both types they would sell s***loads of them

Kev,

Dont think you need to put it in. Its only if you want a call back.

I did ask for a 1/72 VC10 at SMW.

Im not fussed if they do re-release the tanker, Ill convert it. I just want some!

As they are re-releasing the 72, and 73 this year lets hope for some more. Im a builder not a collector and I dont like that fact that the only ones that seam to come up come form colectors that want top dollar for them.

it says *mandatory on the form

I'll try anyway

1/72 VC10......big.....you like big models?

and no it wont work without a phone number

I'd email them and tell them to drop that on privacy grounds...but I cant email them without a phone number....

I have to agree with Rich

The tanker version seemed to be on the shelves in quite good numbers when first released a few years ago, but disappeared quite quickly, was that due to so many wanting it to build (not seen many photos), hoaders, or to ebay speculators?

If you are looking for a particular boxing at a reasonable price, good luck trying to find one, better to buy the tanker and convert it and get Two Six or FDcal transfers for it.

I have the Welsh Super, that I have waited for ever to get BOAC decals for and Ray did them for Welsh, so bought a set, but they changed tone on the blue as it stretched around the nose, which really detracted from the look, the great thing about those decals is the gold BOAC Cunard tiles are actually something like real gold, they are the only ones to ever achieve the correct look, must get it out and have another go.

Graeme

rich i havent been able to get back, but its a small odities shop and doesnt sell a lot of kits so i will be surprised if it sells, so i will go back when i can, but it wont be until at least wednesday, imm on nights at the moment

Not much point having a 'phone, I would imagine. Sorry it made me chuckle and reminded my of a small joke cartoon that appeared in The Eagle: "I have defrauded British Rail - I bought a return, but I'm not coming back!"

You won't get the VC-10 Airliner reissued for the simple reason I believe they altered the moulds to make the tanker version, so it would require the moulds remaking.

Given Airfix's revised policy of including extra sprues in some of the older kits they have re-issued, they could back date the kit if they wished. Is the demand there? I have my doubts.

Of the kits made to date, despite the working features the Frog kit was the best, but there is no change out of a 100 nicker for that these days.

Given the raised detail and the fit issues of the Airfix kit, what is really needed is a new kit. But, that is highly unlikely given the investment required. The best route in my opinion would be to run with the Welsh Models kit.

Marty...

Edited by marty_hopkirk

QUOTE (kev1n @ May 1 2010, 01:45 PM)

Not much point having a 'phone, I would imagine. Sorry it made me chuckle and reminded my of a small joke cartoon that appeared in The Eagle: "I have defrauded British Rail - I bought a return, but I'm not coming back!"

ok, I dont give out my phone number to anybody on the internet....

. Although we currently have no plans to re-release the VC10 this year, we do keep a record of all customer requests and product suggestions, which we do take into consideration when planning all future ranges."

This is the almost word for word reply that I received from Airfix in 1963 when I wrote to them asking when they were going to release the VC10.

Lo and behold it was released the following year so don't give up hope of a re-release.

All best,

Sunderland.