hawk t1's (loads done more to come)

Mark M

Hi Mark,

I have to say I am beginning to really like this kit, just wish they had put a little more thought into the undercarriage doors!!!!. Does anyone know if Airfix intend to release a T Mk.1a (Armed Version) in this scale in the near future?

Off to build a Black tailed grey one!!!!!

Doug.

Edited by Doug

Does anyone know if Airfix intend to release a T Mk.1a (Armed Version) in this scale in the near future?

Doug.

Doug,

Yep they are:

Hannants Airfix Hawk T1 link

Its likely to have the weapons sprue from the Hawk 100 kit so I think that means it'll be pylons, gun pack, Sidewinders and drop tanks.

Someone wiser than myself will confirm or correct this.

I can't wait to see what decals they choose. I'm hoping for a dark green/dark sea grey wraparound camo TWU machine (perferably with SNEB pod and CBLS) and whatever they choose in grey or black.

Phil.

on of Jasmans threads lists the decal options, the hawk 100 pylons fit ferfectly on the reds hawk, and are so small intend to copy them in plasticard, i have loads of spare sidewinders left over from other builds and mike kindly sent me some stuff, i also intend to use some rocket pods from the old harrier gr3 kits

yours is a bit tidyer than mine!!

This is just the Hawk production line.. I have zillions of tools and 2 toolboxes full of paints.. but I made this to hold just the stuff I need for the Hawks.. so just 20-odd paints, a Hawk 128 box with all the decal, the usual tools and that's it :)

must take some more photos of the updates bench set up!!

thanks bigbadbadge, the bench now is only home to Hawks, a spitfire (which will go red for the Wif GB) and the big bucc (and soon the hurricane)

the flying hours hawk turned up today aswell so thats another one for the stash!

• 2 weeks later...

guys i need help, im i doing this right, im worried, the instructions say paint it black then red then blue and use the decals for the white, but ..... i think the decals are very thin and the colours will show through the white decals, swo i thought that if i painted it white, then masked the stripes, the painted red, blue then black the white decals would be better, but what do you think am i doing this right?? help????????

100_2702.jpg

100_2703.jpg

Given my past (frustrating!) experience with M.A. white decals having poor colour density, I would paint it the way you have described. Whichever way you decide to do it, it wont be the easiest of masking jobs.

I personaly think that will work but im far from an expert your gonig to have to be very carefull applying the black that you dont get any specks on your other colours but if your using a really fine tip shouldnt be a problem

Russ

thanks chapps, i think if i get these masks right, i wont need the decals except for the badges, ive photo copied the 'template' and using that taped over a tile with tamiya tape underneath then using a new blade cutting each one out one by one, when inplace ill spray white again to seal the edges, then paint the red, let it dry and cover that, then the blue and finally black with all the other colours masked, does that make sense? that way the white should be part of the surface not floating on the top

thanks chapps, i think if i get these masks right, i wont need the decals except for the badges, ive photo copied the 'template' and using that taped over a tile with tamiya tape underneath then using a new blade cutting each one out one by one, when inplace ill spray white again to seal the edges, then paint the red, let it dry and cover that, then the blue and finally black with all the other colours masked, does that make sense? that way the white should be part of the surface not floating on the top

Sounds like a good plan it will probably work out better than using the white decals IMHO

Russ

ok unless ive made a major bo bo twice! mask 19 (on the underside of the wing) and its oposite are too short by about 7 or 8 mm i just hope for everyones sake the decals arnt the same!!

im so glad im going to paint these rather than use the decals

thanks anthony, im at work today so no more to be done, im sure the decals are short so becareful ill finsih masking in the moring and ger some red paint on!

ok masking done, a few piccys below, since taking them ive sprayed another coat of white to seal the edges of the tape and im waiting for that to dry before thinking about the red

100_2706.jpg

100_2707.jpg

100_2708.jpg

i hope this works its a lot of effort

and RED ON!! GO!!

100_2713.jpg

100_2714.jpg

100_2715.jpg

ok now when dry i have to mask the red, ready for the blue, im using life coulor blue which ive never used before, any tips on how to airbrush it?

and RED ON!! GO!!

100_2713.jpg

100_2714.jpg

100_2715.jpg

ok now when dry i have to mask the red, ready for the blue, im using life coulor blue which ive never used before, any tips on how to airbrush it?

looks like a hawk ice lolly cant wait too see what she looks like when the masks come off :speak_cool:

Russ

ive got a problem!

ive planed to paint the blue with lifecolour lc60 blue but.....................

:suicide::pray:

ive just tried brush painting a bit on paper and its way way too light i mean about 3 rainbows out!!!!!!!!!!!!

so plan c!

i have 2 tester (starter kit) pots of humbrol 25 blue if i mix them together with a few drops of water too thin i should (fingers crossed) have enough too paint the blue, i dont like airbrushing it hence i dint buy a big pot but my options are now limited

Hurry with the black im dying too see the finish on this i have a feeling its going to be quite good

Russ