xx280

xx301

xx307

xx337 1/48

in progress

xx

LIST NEEDS UPDATING

Edited by markmarples

I there are a number of Xtradecal sheets for the Hawk but the Hannants website is showing a total of four Xtradecals sheets. Dunno what has happened to the rest.

However, one is still listed on the A2ZeeModels website here

You could also have a look at these sheets from Alley Cat:

Royal Navy '100 Years of Naval Aviation 2009' Display Hawks

Black Hawks

cheers Enzo, the camo earlie birds look good, i may wait for that one until airfix release there reviesed tool with weapons, she would look bare otherwise

hawks are going to be adictive!

so ive got decals for

plain black

red arrow

red dragon on black

black dragon on red / white?

benevolant fund

fly navy

i want now

old camo

?spitfire not sure yet

grey one

are there foreign t1's that can be made form the red arrows kit

Model alliance/aviation workshop has a sheet for foreign hawks.

As to what countries had hawks similar to the T.1 the list is quite long... apart from saudi arabia we have indonesia, finland, kenia, zimbabwe, switzerland, kuwait... I sure forgot a few !

ok now ive bought all there decals, and have a few kits, no doubt i will get more, are there any changes i need to make to the reds kit, other than remove the smoke pod?

is the pending hawk kit A03085 or a50114 any different? weapons ? should i wait for that one before i build a camo hawk with weapons? are there any upgrades like weapons pylons for the reds kit?

so many questions........

Mark, the differences between the RAFs T1 and most foreign operated 1st generation Hawks are very small and in 1/72 very few are noticeable. It only really amounts to 3 small extra fences on each wing and and extra 2 outer stores pylons.

You might want to build the RA kits you have as the trainers with no stores and the upcoming Airfix T1 kit should have the gun pod and pylons. I'm not sure whether it'll just have the weapons sprue from the Hawk 100 kit but I think that would give just tanks and Sidewinders.

The old Airfix Hawk kit has lots of SNEB rocket pods and 1000lb bombs so they might be useful. Its not a bad kit either.

You don't fancy the original red/white/grey trainer shceme or the one after that with the blue spine?

Phil.

You don't fancy the original red/white/grey trainer shceme or the one after that with the blue spine?

Phil.

why do you want one?

i like them all! but realistically will never build at 28 plus the other sheets

You might want to build the RA kits you have as the trainers with no stores and the upcoming Airfix T1 kit should have the gun pod and pylons. I'm not sure whether it'll just have the weapons sprue from the Hawk 100 kit but I think that would give just tanks and Sidewinders.

so do the plyons from the 100 fit the ra kit? if so i have some of them spare (somewhere)

thanks for the info

Mark, the differences between the RAFs T1 and most foreign operated 1st generation Hawks are very small and in 1/72 very few are noticeable. It only really amounts to 3 small extra fences on each wing and and extra 2 outer stores pylons.

And IIRC the 3 extra fences are only on the T.60 series, with the T.50 series having only the extra outer pylons and some equipment changes. Finland, Kenia and Indonesia use T.50 series planes, the other users have T.60s. Finland actually uses both series, as they bought the ex swiss T.66

thanks for the great info

ive just been shopping and no hawks left at the shops, guess ill have to order them online!

white metal under cart, hmmmm ill have a think about that

is the zimbarweeeeeee hart a t50? (one of my mates if from there and i was going to make him one)

As Phil said previously, not 1 extra fence but 3 per wing.Very small and located inboard of the standard fence of the T.1 wing. If you google for pictures of the swiss or saudi hawks and check the wings you'll see what I mean.

The 4 pylons are another difference, although T.50s have these as well.

There are other minor differences: the seats on export hawks are of the "square headrest" type, something that was retrofitted on RAF T.1s too. T.60s also have a different kind of flapswith 4 positions but I think this is not visible externally.

As Phil said previously, not 1 extra fence but 3 per wing.Very small and located inboard of the standard fence of the T.1 wing. If you google for pictures of the swiss or saudi hawks and check the wings you'll see what I mean.

The 4 pylons are another difference, although T.50s have these as well.

There are other minor differences: the seats on export hawks are of the "square headrest" type, something that was retrofitted on RAF T.1s too. T.60s also have a different kind of flapswith 4 positions but I think this is not visible externally.

you are a star, thanks for your help

so do the plyons from the 100 fit the ra kit? if so i have some of them spare (somewhere)

thanks for the info

Mark, AFAIK, the Hawk 100 pylons should fit the RA kit wing. I think the lower wing part is common to both of the kits.

As Giorgio quite rightly said, the extra fences are only on the 60 series and later Hawks and the bang seats in the new Airfix Hawks are correct for all export models as well as RAF T1s since the late 80s.

You can see the 3 small wing fences here. The larger fence from the T1 is further outboard in its usual place. Very few other external differences.

0508272.jpg

0703778.jpg

These pictures were taken at Farnborough 1982 and show a white UK pre-delivery serial on the fin.

Hope this helps,

Phil.

No worries Mark. Any fan of Hawks is a friend of mine! I bought loads of decals in 1/48 before I realised what a lot of work the Airfix 1/48 T1 is but now I'm more inclined to build in 1/72 since I want to make so many.

Have you seen Jasman71's Hawk builds? He is both prolific and rather good at it too. Other excellent Hawk builders are available.

Phil