• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:30 PM

Well folks it's about time I posted something so here it is, started this kit a few weeks ago after buying it
from our very own Mr P Brickles from ABC Models.

Its a nice enough kit but not up to there recent releases, I've used a lot Tamiya filler just to get some of the basic parts together.
Whats worse is the nasty sink marks on some of the superstructure parts will will be a real test to hide, I've also came across a few
warped parts that will need some TLC to put right. Just waiting now for WEM to release the PE sets and I'll be cracking on!

Right some Pix of whats been done so far.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This little equipment box has a very nasty sink mark in its center, building a new one from scratch is probably the best move here?

Posted Image

Posted Image

The forward bulkhead on my kit was badly warped, its just visible underneath the ski jump, not perfect but once glued should be okay.

Posted Image

Some very nice detail, some of the bulkheads do have a lot of ejector pin marks which will be visible close up, this one is very good :thumbsup2:

Posted Image

The lower hull fits very well to the upper waterline area, minimal filler will be required which is good :thumbsup2:
Mines just taped into place as I'm not sure to build as a water line model or full hull???

Posted Image

Another area that requires a fair amount of filler.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The goalkeeper system, lovely little part, very nice detail, just needs the canvas gator around the barrel support, nothing too hard to do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The first piece of AM I bought for another USN Ship build....Veteran model SBROC launchers, much better than the kit items, to be fair they are tiny but I had them anyway so I'll use them,
one box is enough to provide Lusty with all 8 launchers. I got these from Lucky model in HK $6.59.

Posted Image

So far the build has been very enjoyable, shame about the filler required but I'm not too bothered, its a great kit which I'm glad
has been kitted. Quality wise its not upto Airfix's new release's, it's more like the old 48th scale Buccaneer/ Hawk quality.
I'm sure the kit with the WEM PE set will look stunning, alot of the antenna, sensor fits are not included in the kit but I'm sure that's
due to the limitations of injection molding.

If you have the space and love modern RN subjects......Get one !

Regards

Dan

Edited by Dads203, 18 August 2010 - 08:40 PM.

#2 Mark M

Mark M

www.mainlymilitary.co.uk

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

strange im building her at the moment and havent had any of these problems (yet), i the built the hanger and the sides but thats it im about to build the super structure and it looks like that is where the fun starts, ill be watching this with interest!!!

#3 Irishgreek

Irishgreek

Established Member

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:07 PM

Looks good, but is that elevator groove as big as it looks in the photos? If so, are you planning on 'toning it down'?

#4 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

Looks good, but is that elevator groove as big as it looks in the photos? If so, are you planning on 'toning it down'?

It's as bad as it looks, Airfix molded it with bevelled edges for some reason.
I've just used some Vallejo putty to fill the big gaps on the lifts as it was to hand.

One idea is to fill with super glue and rescribe?

Edited by Dads203, 27 April 2010 - 04:24 PM.

#5 Irishgreek

Irishgreek

Established Member

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:09 PM

I've not tried this yet, but I have read here and on ARC that one method people use is to add some talc or other powder to the super glue and then scribe that. Apparently the softer powder in the mix allows it to be sanded and scribed much easier.

#6 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:13 PM

I've not tried this yet, but I have read here and on ARC that one method people use is to add some talc or other powder to the super glue and then scribe that. Apparently the softer powder in the mix allows it to be sanded and scribed much easier.

Cheers for that info, I've used talc/ micro balloons when i used to build scale flying gliders, I'll have to give it ago.

Regards

Dan

#7 Mike

Mike

Proud dad

• Root Admin
  • 1,029,974 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:14 PM

Use that bottle of micro-balloons I gave you Dan. That'll do the job - put the 'loons in the trench, then wick some CA in there. If you want me to bring the Filla-Glu "Powda" and wicking grade CA tomorrow night, I will :)

#8 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

Yes please Mike, just checked my CA glue and the extra thin stuff is not so thin anymore, its a bit like slime :analintruder:

#9 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:39 PM

A few extra photos,

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy

Dan

#10 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

I`m keeping my "weather" eye on this one,Good luck with build ,Dan.

Regards ,Phil

#11 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:11 AM

I`m keeping my "weather" eye on this one,Good luck with build ,Dan.

Regards ,Phil

Cheers Phil , I'm just waiting now for the WEM sets to arrive, I've got a rough idea on what they include but I dont want to push too far at the moment.
Toying with the idea to put her on a nice seascape as a waterline model, now to find some of your threads for a "How to ". :winkgrin:

Hopefully Airfix will release a nice modern RN frigate to go with the Lusty?

Dan

#12 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:26 AM

My technique for seascapes is here:

http://www.britmodel...showtopic=39041

For other peoples ways of doing this:

http://www.shipmodel...t...f=4&t=37923

Hope this helps.

Cheers ,Phil

#13 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:31 AM

Thanks Phil, I think I'll have a crack at that, looks fantastic :speak_cool:

#14 Guest_snipersmudge_*

Guest_snipersmudge_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

A labour of love that one Dan, for such a new kit I am surprised at the crappy fit. Maybe yours is a test shot that got through quality control?

#15 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:25 PM

A labour of love that one Dan, for such a new kit I am surprised at the crappy fit. Maybe yours is a test shot that got through quality control?

Talking to Mike, his is the same :confused: it's nothing to drastic to put right Pete

#16 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:08 PM

Small update, flightdeck lifts now rescribed......With a little help from Mike :thumbsup:
Filled with CA and sanded back, one word of warning, the plastic
that Airfix use for the kit its very soft so you don't need to used any powders
(micro balloons etc ) to help fill the gap.

I think that the forward lift is too close to the island superstructure and need to moved more central
to the deck? Very difficult to tell from my limited ref material

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Enjoy

Dan

Edited by Dads203, 29 April 2010 - 05:16 PM.

#17 Shar2

Shar2

Banana

• Global Moderator
  • 8,425 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:16 PM

Posted Image The forward lift was pretty close to the island.

#18 Dads203

Dads203

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:17 PM

Thanks Shar2, great phot BTW

Dan

#19 Mike Reeves

Mike Reeves

Very Obsessed Member

• Banned
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:32 PM

I HATE YOU DAN!!

We don't have the big Lusty here yet and this thread is just making me jealous! I like the look of the kit though. Shame about the filler but hey ho, at least the surfaces are big enough that they are easily sanded down and polished. Just curious, how many aircraft do you get in this kit? I have a DML 1/700 Invincible and you get 4 Harriers!! Looks like I need to mould one and make my own airwing huh? Wonder if the same is needed on the Airfix Lusty?

Oh one last thing. I say waterline this sucka and put her in some acrylic gel water! You know you want to!! A full hull boat laden with aircraft just looks wrong :)

Excellent progress my friend and yes, I do hate you still!! LOL

Cheers

Mike

#20 BAC

BAC

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

You get
2 of each FA2's, Gr7's, Seakings, Merlins.

Plus 2 tow tractors and 1 crane truck.

BTW I did'nt use much filler at all. Mainly to cover the sprue gates as they are quite big.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image