Time for number 3, the AW Seahawk

Ok guys and girls, here we go!

This is the AW Seahawk starter set for number 3 in the group build!

First the box and sprue shots

P1000681.jpg

P1000682.jpg

The kit has a total parts count of 34!

On to construction

The seat and cockpit were given several coats of black paint to get it to actually stick to the plastic as i forgot to wash the bits first :wall:

The fuselage was then joined with nose weight made from chopped up bits of sprue. The join was actually pretty good requiring only minor sanding for a good finish.

Wing roots were added and again i was pleasantly surprised at how good the fit was :thumbsup2:

P1000683.jpg

P1000684.jpg

P1000685.jpg

Wings and the undercarriages were then added and the kit was ready for paint!

Antony

Ok, painting time

After reading about other peoples experiences with the white paint i prepared myself for the worst and i wasn't disappointed!

After actually washing the assembled kit, i started painting the white. After 2 coats this was the result

P1000686.jpg

P1000687-1.jpg

After another 3 coats i had a finish that i could live with that didnt obscure too much detail.

I then taped off the white to get a straight line for the grey, and happily this went on really well, requiring only 2 coats.

P1000688.jpg

P1000689.jpg

After taking the tape off and touching up this is the result

P1000690.jpg

P1000691.jpg

More to follow

Antony

go go...another Seahawk excellent!! quite a fun kit actually .....the white undersurfaces actually paint up rather well...Grey less fun especially if the kits not been washed....looks good so far!

go go...another Seahawk excellent!! quite a fun kit actually .....the white undersurfaces actually paint up rather well...Grey less fun especially if the kits not been washed....looks good so far!

blimey you painted the thing before i'd replied!! looks excellent, the Decals make this kit & go on OK....

Onto the decals and these were really good, settled well and were actually in register which was a surprise considering its an Airfix kit.

The only gripe is the white on the playing card being slightly see through so you can just about see the grey but thats all.

P1000692.jpg

P1000693.jpg

After sticking the main wheels in position, i discovered the kit still sat on its backside, so while assembling the fuel tanks i chopped up some more sprue and filled them in a vain attempt to add some weight forward of the main wheels which worked ok, phew!

So, finally we have pictures of the completed kit, taken in the garden in natural sunlight.

P1000694.jpg

P1000695.jpg

P1000696.jpg

So thats my third kit all done, and i have to say this has got to be the most fun group build i've ever taken part in, so a massive thumbs up and thanks to everyone involved in organising it!!

Antony

blimey you painted the thing before i'd replied!! looks excellent, the Decals make this kit & go on OK....

Thanks Fraxinus

I actually finished the whole thing before posting anything as i thought it best to finish it before the deadline.

The white did come out ok in the end, and overall i'm quite pleased with the whole thing

Antony