the Hurricat and CAM ship diorama - completed

The pics looking up from below are excellent & in black & white would look totally real!

I was thinking the same - here's a quick and dirty attempt:

CAM_BW_1.jpg

I do play around with Photoshop occasionally and plan on a sequence of images using this diorama - a few frames leading up to something like this I did when the Hurricat model was finished:

Condor_killer_1.jpg

Geesh! is there such a thing as having too much talent? :poke:

good thing I'm not jelious :who-let-rip: - I'm NOT --realy -I mean it---well maybe just a bit :sick:

ps OUTSTANDING work and photoshoppery

• 6 months later...

Well phase two of this project will begin soon, aligning with the Battle of the Atlantic group build. I'll be replacing the diecast Hurricat model in this dio with a proper kit built example. The Hasegawa Hurricane MkI kit is waiting for my accessory order to arrive which includes:

Quickboost Dehavilland prop

Quickboost exhaust

Part PE set for Hurri MkI

EZ Mask for Hurri I & Sea Hurricane

The Hurricat spools will be scratchbuilt as was done for the diecast model. Looking forward to adding this upgrade to the CAM ship diorama. B)

IMG_4203-r-sm.jpg

Edited by no4mkit
  • Like 1

how did they recover?

They could land conventionally if shore was in range, which it typically wasn't. The preferred recovery was to invert the aircraft and bail out alongside the convoy. Ditching wasn't recommended as the Hurricane tended to flip and sink rapidly, though it was tried on at least one occasion with near fatal results.

• 2 years later...

Oh my, has it really been two years since I last posted here? :blink2:

My sincere apologies to Tim / cotteswold and the Battle of the Atlantic group build team for essentially vanishing two years ago due to a bad turn on the family side of life. The Hurricat/CAM ship model sits about 5 feet from my PC and has been a constant reminder that the job is not done until I finish Tim's Hurricat, LU-V. Now that I'm ready to enjoy modeling again it's #1 on my list and I plan to get started this coming weekend.

Regards to all and thanks for the kind words on my project.

Todd

Well phase two of this project will begin soon, aligning with the Battle of the Atlantic group build. I'll be replacing the diecast Hurricat model in this dio with a proper kit built example. The Hasegawa Hurricane MkI kit is waiting for my accessory order to arrive which includes:

Quickboost Dehavilland prop
Quickboost exhaust
Part PE set for Hurri MkI
EZ Mask for Hurri I & Sea Hurricane

The Hurricat spools will be scratchbuilt as was done for the diecast model. Looking forward to adding this upgrade to the CAM ship diorama. cool.png

IMG_4203-r-sm.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dave and bigh.

Well the kit build is finally underway using a 1/72 Hasegawa Hurricane MkI and a wealth of aftermarket accessories including PJ Prod pilot figure, QB DeHavilland prop and exhaust stubs, and Part Hurricane MkI etched brass detail. As the fuselage fabric grooves are a bit overstated I've filled them with putty and drilled the holes for the rear catapult spools. The model once in place on the catapult will be depicting Tim at the controls moments before launch, therefore I'll be cutting the flaps from the lower wing half in order to install etched brass flaps set to takeoff position. Lots to do so better get on with it!!

LU-Vstartingkit.jpg

Which Hasegawa boxing have you got? The problem is that the basic fuselage halves are for a Mk.II. In the standard kit, boxed as Hurricane Mk.Ib (sic), this comes with a correctly-sized engine cowling so that the model fuselage ends up as being correct for a Mk.II. On other boxes labelled as Mk.I, a newer shorter engine cowling is included so that the length comes up correct. This means that the join line is in the wrong place, and the fairing from wing to nose is too long for a Mk.I. This may well be OK.

I found the ideal cure using the basic kit was to take 2mm of the front of the fuselage halves, and reshape the fairing. I know that Len Thompson believes there is something else amiss in the fuselage length forward of the canopy, but I wasn't totally convinced at the time and leave it to you to chase that up if you can be bothered. The radiator is also a bit halfy/halfy between the Marks', the Mk.I being shallower and a purer ellipse at the opening..

Rob Taurus do a nice canopy for the Hasegawa kit.

Which Hasegawa boxing have you got? The problem is that the basic fuselage halves are for a Mk.II. In the standard kit, boxed as Hurricane Mk.Ib (sic), this comes with a correctly-sized engine cowling so that the model fuselage ends up as being correct for a Mk.II. On other boxes labelled as Mk.I, a newer shorter engine cowling is included so that the length comes up correct. This means that the join line is in the wrong place, and the fairing from wing to nose is too long for a Mk.I. This may well be OK.

I found the ideal cure using the basic kit was to take 2mm of the front of the fuselage halves, and reshape the fairing. I know that Len Thompson believes there is something else amiss in the fuselage length forward of the canopy, but I wasn't totally convinced at the time and leave it to you to chase that up if you can be bothered. The radiator is also a bit halfy/halfy between the Marks', the Mk.I being shallower and a purer ellipse at the opening..

Rob Taurus do a nice canopy for the Hasegawa kit.

Thanks for that Graham. My Hasegawa kit is #00927. Does it have the same issue you describe?

I don't recognise the reference. The basic kit is AP38, or 51338. It has aircraft DT.A on the box, and the title is Hurricane Mk.I Late Type 'Battle Of Britain'. I understand that all other boxings labelled as Mk.I make up to the correct length. The engine cowling is Sprue E in the basic box.

Well! Todd at last you come out to play.

I just returnded the forum myself 2db430cd.gif .

So nice of you to wait for me, before finishing this buildsignlol_zps62d00820.gif

Seriously good to see your back to the bench