SPITFIRE MKV Merlin/engine bay images

macgregor

Can anyone help with images of the merlin engine/engine bay of a MkV. Im building trummpys 1/24 MkVb & originally was going to just have a removable top cowel, mainly because they seem to have omitted all the cooling/oil pipes etc. However now Ive built up & painted the basic engine, it looks like its just begging to have more added & leave the side cowls off as well. The problem Ive got is I can find any decent images showing the coolant pipes etc. One image I have seems to show pipes heading along the cam covers & some how fitting into the the glycol tank but Ive no idea where they go to at the rear? the rear engine bay looks like it needs busying up with pipes & wires so any help would be great in helping me decide if I can make a decent job of it.

Thanks in advance Mac

This is the extra pipework for the gun heating. I've made up a folder, with illustrations from the V manual; it's too big for here, but, if you send me an E-mail address, I'll get it to you.

VbBrowningheatingpipes.jpg

The cooling pipes, along the top of the Merlin, had connections front and rear; this meant that the header tank, and/or its connections, could be fitted at the front, as in the Spitfire, or at the rear. The pipes were simply blanked off at the unused end.

Edgar

Edited by Edgar

• 3 years later...

Hello forum members ,

Hope not to be considered too impolite if I introduce Myself ?

My name is Stephen , I live in Preston ,

Lancashire , I am attempting My first model build in many years !

I am a time served welder having worked in the nuclear industry , My other passion is classic British Motorcycles .

I am working on a 1/24th scale Spitfire VB by "Airfix" .

Having searched this great site & using the picture posted I am trying to make a really good job adding as much detail as possible .

I am keen to source decals for the propellor blades ( without success upto now ) , if Anyone can help I would be most grateful ?

Thanks in advance ,

Steve ..