• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#101 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

OK fellas, here's the latest update. Not as much progress as I'd hoped, but I'm still messing around with all the various flaws and problems. Here's an overall shot:

Posted Image

Windscreen is on and (mostly) fared in, with internal frame colour painted (same goes for the sliding portion in the foreground). The antenna post on the fin has been shortened (probably too short now :rolleyes: ), and the tailwheel I broke off earlier has been pinned and glued. Also, the main antenna post has been modified to sit up straight and fixed in position. Here's a blurry close up of the rear end:

Posted Image

I dealt with the trailing edge of the rudder using the same technique I used for the wings. I also had a stab at representing the protruding arrestor hook. Sorry about the crappy photo!

Finally mated the engine and cowling:

Posted Image

The inside of the forward ring looks pretty grungy, but you can hardly notice it at normal size, and without glaring flash lighting. Painting has begun on the prop, with just the hub to go:

Posted Image

Lastly, I spent a bit of time cleaning up and modifying the landing gear. They're not really any more accurate, but do look a good deal less clunky than before:

Posted Image

I'm really looking forward to getting past all these fiddly bits and getting some paint on!

Kev

#102 spitfire

spitfire

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Looking good, it's nice when you get to the "last lap" stage !

Cheers

Den

#103 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:10 AM

Looking good, it's nice when you get to the "last lap" stage !

Thanks Den. I'm hoping to start painting soon! Here's a final update for the evening. I've managed to get the cowl on, so it looks like a complete aeroplane now! I also managed to break the tail wheel off again, as my pin is not very big (hey, that's between you and me, OK?). I've glued it back on again. I've also added the distinctive panels just below the windscreen from Bare Metal Foil:

Posted Image

Just as a bit of an aside, here's a model my 8-year-old daughter built last weekend. It's not her first, but it's her best so far, and the nearest she's come to doing it all by herself. It's the Fujimi Fiat Barchetta in 1/25:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks good, eh?

Kev

#104 silverkite211

silverkite211

"...imitate the action of the tiger."

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 12:06 PM

It's coming along very well. About that tailwheel, I built a A-10 once and managed to avoid bending the pitot tube nearly the whole time I was assembling the kit. Finally, about 3/4 of the way through I broke it off, after that I couldn't seem to keep knocking it off, it was almost as though I had discovered it was there, so I feel your pain.

Your daughter's car came out very nice!

#105 spitfire

spitfire

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 03:32 PM

Hi Kev, your daughters car reminded me of my younger days when I was about the same age, building anything and everything that my pocket money would let me, mind you I can't see any gluey fingerprints on her's, mine used to have loads on them at that age. The girl done good.

Cheers

Den

Edited by spitfire, 17 July 2010 - 03:34 PM.

#106 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:13 AM

Thanks for the nice comments about my daughter's model, chaps. She got a kick out of reading them. Now, back to my own! I've finished painting the prop:

Posted Image

I'll give the blades a light coat of satin varnish, as they're suffering from that slightly chalky effect acrylics can give you if you lay them on too dry. The colour is so flat it's lifeless!

I've started in on painting the wheels:

Posted Image

They look a bit ugly at this stage, as I had to resort to brush painting them. I normally cut a mask (or use a circle template) and airbush wheels and tyres, but these suckers are nowhere near round, so I had to give up on that approach. They'll scrub up OK after some weathering and flat coat, and a heavy black wash around the rims should take care of my imperfect painting in that area.

Painting has begun in earnest, starting with my dodgy pre-shading:

Posted Image

I'm not the biggest fan of pre-shading, and tend to use it only under light colours. I did the top too while I was at it, simply because I still had paint in the airbrush. I went deliberately light, and used Tamiya's NATO black. For those of you who may think this paint is a very dark grey, the photo above clearly shows that it is in fact a very dark green. It certainly looks like black though if you pile it on. It's also what I used on the prop and tyres above. If you compare it to a true black though, you can really see the difference. I think it makes a great 'scale black', and rarely use true black on a model anymore.

Here's the underside, painted with Gunze's Off White:

Posted Image

This colour is very hard to photograph, being highly glossy as well as very light in colour. The harsh flash and overhead lighting have all-but obliterated the subtle patchy finish I was aiming for. I really must get a better set up for photos one day!

Next stop, the top colours. Is that a light at the end of the tunnel I see?

Kev

Edited by Big Kev, 20 July 2010 - 11:20 AM.

#107 David_in_Fremont

David_in_Fremont

Established Member

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hey, nice progress, Mate! Good to see some colour being added!

#108 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:15 AM

Yep, I'm happy to be finally getting some painting done too Dave. Here's a progress update. The bottom's had a panel line wash and some shading added using oil paints:

Posted Image

The top colours have been added, with some post-shading applied with lightened versions of the base colours:

Posted Image

Unfortunately all my riveting has been completely obscured by the dark-coloured paint, so I'm mulling over how I might highlight them. I don't want to use oils like I did for the bottom, as that would require a gloss coat first, and I reckon that would pretty much fill the rivets completely; there'd be nothing left to highlight! I'm thinking I might try some chalk pastels, as they should be applied to a mat surface anyway - but what colour?

Anyway, once that's sorted, it's time for a gloss coat and panel line wash, followed by decals, another gloss coat and some panel line touch ups. Or something.

Thanks for looking!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev, 27 July 2010 - 07:40 AM.

#109 Uncle Uncool

Uncle Uncool

Established Member

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 01:09 AM

:hypnotised: :shocked: :yikes: :blink:

IT AIN'T MONOGRAM ANY MORE...!!!

That kit oughta be a Kevogram... :bleh: Mate, me is speechless! 'N' ya wanted to lay it down so many times...! Have ya seen? Congratulations, Kev; I ne'er expected less from ya. Thank God yer chubby cat ain't quite finished yet, for me is gonna be seriously depressed when it is done.

Awesome work, Kevster, chap!
Cheers,

Uncē

#110 David H

David H

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:08 AM

Looks very nice so far, Kev.

Sure is nice to see an FM-2 in something OTHER than the Atlantic scheme, too.

Are you gonna use the new Ultracast wheels?

cheers,

david

#111 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

Awesome work, Kevster, chap!

Thanks Unc, much appreciated. Not done yet but.

Are you gonna use the new Ultracast wheels?

Didn't know there was any! I've just got an old set of True Details wheels, which I've already painted up ready to use - super bulges and all!

Anyway, here's another minor update. Gloss coat and decals:

Posted Image

However, not without its problems (but you knew that already, right?). Firstly, after swabbing Microsol everywhere without complaint (or effect it has to be said), I spill one tiny little drop on the wing root and get this:

Posted Image

:crying:

I hope there's a simple way to fix it that doesn't involve repainting the area. The aforementioned liberal doses of Microsol haven't yet been able to budge the creases and wrinkles in the fuselage stars'n'bars either:

Posted Image

I've already given them 3 serves, so it's time to move on to something stronger: Mr Mark Destroyer. This could all end very badly...

Kev

#112 silverkite211

silverkite211

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

That's very odd about the Micro-Sol, what did you use for a gloss coat? Is it just the insignia on the fuselage that isn't snuggling down? Whose decals are you using? You can improve the True Details tires quite a bit merely by sanding off most of the bulging sidewalls so that they don't look as though they're in need of airing up.

#113 ScanmanDan

ScanmanDan

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

Problems and all your cat is still looking outstanding.

Dan

#114 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:21 PM

That's very odd about the Micro-Sol, what did you use for a gloss coat? Is it just the insignia on the fuselage that isn't snuggling down? Whose decals are you using? You can improve the True Details tires quite a bit merely by sanding off most of the bulging sidewalls so that they don't look as though they're in need of airing up.

Gloss coat was Future (the real stuff), and the decals are Aeromaster. There's a thread on ARC discussing this effect when using Solvaset over Future, so I might do as they suggest and just put some more Future over it and see what happens.

As for the tyres, well, I made the mistake of leaving them on the casting block and painting them in situ, so to reduce the bulges means a repaint...so I'll see how they look on the model first before I get the sanding stick out. Thanks for your advice though mate, appreciated.

Problems and all your cat is still looking outstanding.

Thanks Dan! Getting there slowly. As you know, I rarely let things like a complete stuff-up stop me...

More soon.

Kev

#115 silverkite211

silverkite211

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:44 PM

I wonder if you just had a spot of Future that didn't get fully cured out or something, I use Future, too and I've found that giving it a a chance to really cure out before decaling helps. That's odd about the decals, I've used Aeromaster myself-on a Martlet by coincidence-and they settled down perfectly using only Micro-Sol. Is your solution very old, I've had Micro-Sol weaken with age before. I know others like it, but I try to stay away from Solvaset if I can help it, it's pretty strong. I've also retouched cloudy areas of a gloss coat with more Future, with good results. I'm confident you'll get it all sorted out.

#116 David H

David H

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:09 PM

Hi Kev,

It sure looks nice with decals on. A couple of things....

1) If you used Future as a clear coat, and it hasn't been allowed to dry a while (like perhaps a week or so) Micro-Sol, undiluted, will really do a number and etch its way deep into the Future. Give it some time to dry, and i think maybe an additional application of Future over the spot will help clear things up.. You might also try gently wet sanding the area with wet 2000 grit and then re-applying the Future.

For Future use (no pun intended), i've had good luck diluting my micro-sol 50-50 with Micro-Set.

2) You could probably spot paint over the glitch, and keep in mind you still need to add the wing walkways at the roots. i usually paint mine on.

3) The Ultracast wheels are worth the effort. You can get either open or closed hubs, and two or three kinds of treat pattern! Plus they don't have those ridiculous True Details "flat tyre" bulges.

4) You might want to investigate using those "elf" aircraft lenses for the lights. Very well suited for the F4F series. Just drill a pilot hole, and in they go!!

Looks great so far. Am looking forward to the big finish!!

david

#117 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:57 AM

I wonder if you just had a spot of Future that didn't get fully cured out or something, I use Future, too and I've found that giving it a a chance to really cure out before decaling helps. That's odd about the decals, I've used Aeromaster myself-on a Martlet by coincidence-and they settled down perfectly using only Micro-Sol. Is your solution very old, I've had Micro-Sol weaken with age before. I know others like it, but I try to stay away from Solvaset if I can help it, it's pretty strong. I've also retouched cloudy areas of a gloss coat with more Future, with good results. I'm confident you'll get it all sorted out.

Thanks for the info mate. I think you're right, just a patch of Future that was either too thin or hadn't cured properly. I haven't had a chance to re-coat it yet, but I'll bring news when I do. I've got 2 bottles of MicroSol, one really old (it's actually labelled 'SuperSol'!), and one pretty new. I tried them both, and it was the newer one that did the damage. In fact I think the older one has lost nearly all its potency anyway. I don't have any Solvaset (not even sure if it's available down here), but I've got some Mr Mark Softer, otherwise known as Mr Mark Destroyer. I'm quite reluctant to use it, as it's lived up to its nickname for me every time I have. I may resort to careful incisions and some more MicroSol.

Kev

#118 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

Hi Kev,

It sure looks nice with decals on. A couple of things....

1) If you used Future as a clear coat, and it hasn't been allowed to dry a while (like perhaps a week or so) Micro-Sol, undiluted, will really do a number and etch its way deep into the Future. Give it some time to dry, and i think maybe an additional application of Future over the spot will help clear things up.. You might also try gently wet sanding the area with wet 2000 grit and then re-applying the Future.

For Future use (no pun intended), i've had good luck diluting my micro-sol 50-50 with Micro-Set.

2) You could probably spot paint over the glitch, and keep in mind you still need to add the wing walkways at the roots. i usually paint mine on.

3) The Ultracast wheels are worth the effort. You can get either open or closed hubs, and two or three kinds of treat pattern! Plus they don't have those ridiculous True Details "flat tyre" bulges.

4) You might want to investigate using those "elf" aircraft lenses for the lights. Very well suited for the F4F series. Just drill a pilot hole, and in they go!!

Looks great so far. Am looking forward to the big finish!!

david

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback, and thanks for reminding about the wing walkways! I'd plumb forgotten them! Can you tell me more about these 'elf' lenses?

Kev

Edited by Big Kev, 28 July 2010 - 05:59 AM.

#119 David H

David H

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:27 AM

Hi Kev,

I got my Elf lenses from a fellow named Dmitri Kovalev in Canada. His email is:

cakovalevd@sympatico.ca

Elf lenses are plastic, injection molded aerofoil shaped lenses moulded in clear, red, blue and green. Elf makes them in all three scales. They were a little pricey, but much much easier to use than the CMK resin lights. Simply nip them off the sprue, drill a pilot hole and fix in place with white glue. Very neat, no more problematical masking or washes required. I bought sets in 72nd and 48th scales.

i used them on my Corsair and Hellcat, seen here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

HTH,

david

Hi David,

Thanks for your feedback, and thanks for reminding about the wing walkways! I'd plumb forgotten them! Can you tell me more about these 'elf' lenses?

Kev

#120 Big Kev

Big Kev

Obsessed Member

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

Beautiful models, David; much better finishes than I can manage! Thanks for the info about the lenses too. Too late for this build, though I did try making my own. It was a predictably miserable failure. I'll just paint them on at this stage.

Just a single photo in this update. I've got the landing gear fitted and the wheels on:

Posted Image

You can also see the base I've been cobbling together. It's not quite finished yet, but should look quite effective for showing off the completed model. On to some weathering next...

Kev