Monogram 1/48 FM-2 Conversion

Well, whaddaya know? I don't have the Tamiya kit unfortunately, so I can't check for myself. Plus, I'm sure it's had several releases, each of which would have a different copyright date on it (unless Tamiya followed Monogram's lead and moulded it into the kit somewhere!). Either way, it looks like the Eduard set still predates it. I'd love to build Tamiya's kit someday!

On a related note, a fellow LSP member has sent me a box full of 1/32 Revell Wildcat parts, with probably enough bits in there to build at least 2 models. So, I'm now formulating plans to do this conversion in 1/32 as well! :evil_laugh: Anyone know if there's a suitable conversion already available?

Kev

I just realised that I still had the box from the Tamiya Wildcat I built stuffed away and I dug it out. It has a 1994 date on the box. Sixteen years old! It's hard to believe that the kit has been around that long!

Edited by silverkite211

It has a 1994 date on the box. Sixteen years old! It's hard to believe that the kit has been around that long!

:rolleyes:Uh-HUUUUH... I know that, silverkite, mate. Me's been sayin' it for a couple of days, but yet Kev seems to be in his donkey-ish stubborn mode of "yadda, yadda, yadda; durr, durr, durty, durty, doo..." :bleh:

And while at it, little do we know about his FM-2 build... :fraidnot:

Hey, Kev; "yadda, yadda, yadda, durr, durr, durty, durty, doo..." It's been released in 1994; yeh, that's to say 1994 :tease:

Silverkite, mate; y'know I was tellin' Kev how the Wildcat is one of my favourite tail draggers ever, so, for one, I think I would be quite certain about the time period I was a complete pain in the neck to both my parents, askin' them to get me the Tamiya kit day in, day out.

Nah, but Kev still goes like, "yadda, yadda, yadda, durr, durr, durty, durty, doo..." Doo-doo... ^_^

YEH, 1994, mate! :lol: 1994.

But in all seriousness, I haven't had much build time of late. I'm continuing to re-scribe the lower wing surfaces, and I'm toying with the idea of riveting them too. Ironic, after I've just finished sanding all the raised ones off. Still, I just don't think you can make raised rivets look in-scale in 1/48, but the Wildcat looks naked without them. I think some finely recessed ones might do the job. I've got Radu's riveting wheel, but have never used it on a model, so I'm looking for an excuse to do so.

I'm gonna have to start working out what colours to paint the interior soon!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Does anyone know what year Tamiya's Wildcat kit was released?

:rofl: Oh, that's easy; I might provide ya with my mum's e-mail address so that ya ask her what year she was close to disowning her child, and why. ;) She shall tell ya Christmas of 1994 and that bloody Tamiya Wildcat kit...

But in all seriousness, I haven't had much build time of late.

Aw, ya boooooooooo...!!! :bleh:

I'm continuing to re-scribe the lower wing surfaces, and I'm toying with the idea of riveting them too. Ironic, after I've just finished sanding all the raised ones off. Still, I just don't think you can make raised rivets look in-scale in 1/48, but the Wildcat looks naked without them. I think some finely recessed ones might do the job.

As for the raised rivets lookin' in scale, I'd propose ya use Archer's AR88001 or AR88014 sheet of assorted small rivets. They really look awesome, in-scale, but that doesn't go without a price.

Archer Surface Details

On the other hand, recessed rivets should look awesome too.

I've got Radu's riveting wheel, but have never used it on a model, so I'm looking for an excuse to do so.

:analintruder:Nooiise...! Recessed rivets it is.

I'm gonna have to start working out what colours to paint the interior soon!

Me thinks ya've got to talk with Mr. Interior Green colour FS 34151 about that.

Cheers, Kevo, mate!

Unc²

Uncle Uncool said:
Me thinks ya've got to talk with Mr. Interior Green colour FS 34151 about that.

Really? I thought FM-2 cockpit interiors were all bronze green (whatever that is)? Restorations seem to show a variety of colours, including black and interior green. I'm no expert here, so just looking for clarification. I found a thread on ARC the other day talking about this, and saved some of the info on my computer, so I'll take a look when I get home.

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Well, I guess it's about time I posted some more pics then! Just sanding and re-scribing really:

J7eNsb.jpg

It looks a little ragged, but should come up OK after a coat of primer. I've yet to re-scribe the inner sections, or add the rivets yet. Let's see if I don't chicken out. Here's the upper sections, all glued and sanded, ready for re-scribing:

NNksvK.jpg

More soon!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Big Kev said:
I found a thread on ARC the other day talking about this, and saved some of the info on my computer, so I'll take a look when I get home.

Kev

Ah, here's that thread I was talking about:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....howtopic=208729

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

OK, kinda talkin' to myself a bit here, but onwards we march. I decided (at the last minute!) that I couldn't live with the lower wing going right through what should be the cavern for the landing gear. So, I cut out a section of the forward lower wing that corresponds with this area, and will (attempt to) put a vertical bulkhead in there.

kQ5lyU.jpg

As you can see from the photo montage, I made the cut-out too wide, so I shimmed it with some scrap styrene. I've also now lost the landing gear attachment holes, so that's going to present me with a whole nuther bag o' problems! Scratch-building - or even extensively modifying - that landing gear may be beyond my skillz. We shall see. Whatever happens, closing that fuselage up is going to be fun! :wacko:

Here's a test-fit of the lower wing into the fuselage:

LaDU5L.jpg

This project is already so much bigger than I had envisaged at the outset that I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even get it done!

My plans for repeating this in 1/32 are firming up too. Not only have I now got a bunch of old Revell parts (more than enough to build at least one full model), I've now been able to track down the Horizon vac FM-2 conversion for it! :evil_laugh: Now that's going to be a challenge!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

This project is already so much bigger than I had envisaged at the outset that I'm beginning to wonder if I'll even get it done!

Funny how that works, sometimes, isn't it? You sort of come to a point where you ask yourself what exactly have you gotten yourself into. I'll be interested in seeing how you handle this latest step.

OK, kinda talkin' to myself a bit here, but onwards we march.

:rolleyes: Aw, not quite, ya cry baby... Both silverkite and yer inseparable yobbo are here to listen to ya, mate!

I decided (at the last minute!) that I couldn't live with the lower wing going right through what should be the cavern for the landing gear.

:analintruder:Nice! NICE! NICE...!!! Me wishes I had thought 'bout doin' it back then. Very well done, Kevster!

I've also now lost the landing gear attachment holes, so that's going to present me with a whole nuther bag o' problems! Scratch-building - or even extensively modifying - that landing gear may be beyond my skillz. We shall see. Whatever happens, closing that fuselage up is going to be fun!

Yeh, but it will highly add to yer model's improvement. Perhaps ya should save the piece of lower wing ya cut out in order to judge where the new landing gear struts should be fixed to the new bulkhead we're goin' to fashion :blink: (we?). It oughtn't to be sumthin' difficult to replicate the cavern for the landing gear once ya know where the struts must be placed. Gonna look for some nice pictures, aye?

Hmph... but remember how well yer A6M? Zero's refurbish work turned out to be in the end. How can ya question yerself on whether or nay this build is gonna get done, huh? huh? huh? If ya ain't gonna finish it, me is goin' over there just to fetch yer model and get this Aussie song me is lookin' for, ya hear? :ike:

Keep it up, chap! Me's been watchin' yer work since ya started; it's just there are times my boss (a she-boss) is drawin' too close to my station, y'know.

Incidentally, is me too yobbo for ya, Kev?

Unc²

Uncle Uncool said:
:rolleyes: Aw, not quite, ya cry baby... Both silverkite and yer inseparable yobbo are here to listen to ya, mate!

That's me! A big cry baby. :crying:

Uncle Uncool said:
Incidentally, is me too yobbo for ya, Kev?

Nah mate. Yobbos are OK, as long as they've been desexed and don't come near your children!

:P

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Not a lot of time for modelling of late, but I've been nibbling away all the same. We lost a dear friend over at LSP during the week, so the going's been a bit rough. We've organised a memorial Group Build in his honour, and I'll be bashing a Hasegawa 262 together for the occasion.

Anyway, the riveting processing has begun on the old Wildcat, using Radu's riveting tool (pictured):

REzh4F.jpg

As you can see, the rivets are very subtle. Here's a close-up:

spErA5.jpg

I've finished scribing the lower wing surfaces (yeah, I know, I'm fast like treacle!), and was going to continue by riveting them. But the rivets are so subtle that a coat of primer and paint might obliterate them, so I'm going to lay some primer down first to check and clean up my scribing work, and apply the rivets after that. It's certainly going to be tedious doing the whole airframe, but definitely easier than applying them individually using a beading tool or some such!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Hey Kev! :bye:

My condolences about Russ; I just learnt how much loved he was, and how young he was as well. Take yer time with yer Me 262 build, mate. Gonna include Russ in my prayers tonight, aye?

Nice tool that Rivet-R is; me's got to get one too. Y'know I bought Micro-Mark's pounce wheels when I was inexperienced and stupid - well, Radub didn't even exist back in 2003, I guess.

Me likes the work ya did on the horizontal stabilisers. Still ya've got to cut out the elevators, right? Yes? Yes? Yes? Yes? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS...??? :bleh:

Yes, ya do. ;)Ooohh, yes ya do. ^_^

Cheers, my mate!

Unc²

P.S: Yes, ya do.

Uncle Uncool said:
Still ya've got to cut out the elevators, right?

Still mulling that one over at this stage, but I'm inclined to the negative to be honest. I've already got enough work to do without extra unnecessary cutting, plus the hinge lines on the kit parts don't even line up top and bottom. I'm thinking it might be simpler to let it slide.

Working on this build has got me checking my stash for other old Monogram kits to have a bash at, so I'm already planning a go at the Typhoon with KMC update set, and converting the 262 to one of the tail-dragging prototypes. Fun! So many builds, so little time...

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Well, the wing modifications are finished! This shot shows the lower wing fully rescribed and riveted, while the two upper wings have been rescribed but not yet riveted:

i6l8XB.jpg

Here's a close-up of the riveting on the lower wing:

GKvXqe.jpg

In this last shot, I've riveted one of the upper wings, but not the other. It makes for a nice comparison I think, and really shows how effective some subtle riveting on this Wildcat will be:

wIGJJf.jpg

So, things are moving along slowly, but the most difficult bits are yet to come. I've spent most of my time on this build so far just sanding!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

:analintruder: Yer wings are comin' along awesome! Very nice job, Kev! Today I was searchin' the net for the Neomega 1/48th scale BAC Lightning T.5 conversion kit when I came across an impressive kit to be grafted onto HobbyBoss or Tamiya's Wildcats in order to do the FM-2:

Vector 1/48 FM-2 Wildcat Correction Set

Check out the excellent pictures of the exhaust stacks we were lookin' for not so long ago... :rolleyes: An astonishing kit for just £16.00, don't ya think? :blink:

Of course, I didn't find whut I was after, but that's just another story... :bleh:

Cheers, Kevo

Unc²

Uncle Uncool said:

Yeah, that's an awesome set all right. That combination will give much better results than I'll ever achieve here! Looks like Vector has gone with the exhaust shape on the FF example. I guess that's a prime reference for FM-2 models these days, but I'm not entirely convinced of its authenticity. Still, I'm not against it either. It looks like I might be able to use one of the Vector engines in my 1/32 FM-2 build though!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Well, another slow week at the bench, but I've managed something at least. I've been hacking away trying to fashion a bulkhead for the rear of the landing gear bay. My first go-round came out reasonably well:

hPhBv7.jpg

Once I was happy with the fit, I glued it to the cut-out I made in the lower wing. However, the lower portion was flush with the outer circumference of the fuselage, which looked naff and would have been hard to fix. I decided to trim it up and make it fit flush inside the fuselage. Where it all went wrong, however, was that I hadn't realised that the rear edge of the wing cut-out was not completely perpendicular, and this caused the starboard side of the bulkhead to sit further forward than the port side. The upper half was OK, but lower down was completely skewed, in both axes no less. I tried for several evenings to cajole it into position, but to no avail. In the end I decided to (literally) cut my losses by removing the lower part, which I'll try to fit separately after the fuselage is closed up (probably!).

Here's a shot of where it's at now:

PqJ1AU.jpg

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

Thanks Den! I'm doing my best. However, I was still troubled by the skewed bulkhead, and decided that if I left it, it could potentially ruin the build. First though, I thought I'd tape the major parts together to see what it looked like first, and test the fitment of the wings:

v8R1BT.jpg

I was having major problems getting the port upper wing to fit properly, and when I forced it into place, the two halves bowed apart as you can see in the photo. Ultimately I figured out that this was due to my bulkhead being slightly too wide, and not allowing the fuselage to pinch inwards like it needed to for the wings to fit properly.

So, I resolved to fix that problem, but in doing so, I noticed just how much I'd got the lateral angle of the bulkhead wrong. The right side was a full 1mm further forward than the left. No wonder I couldn't get it to fit and line up properly! Out came the drills, razor saw, styrene strip and plenty more glue. Here's the revised shape that allows the fuselage to pinch inwards for the wings:

THYeFw.jpg

And here's a shot of the repositioned bulkhead, now straight and true:

ug1avY.jpg

I approached the remedial surgery with great trepidation, but it went off without a hitch, and everything is now where it should be. Phew! I now kinda regret chopping the lower bit off, as this latest fix would have taken care of the problems it was causing quite neatly. Oh well, live an learn.

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

That's looking really great! It's amazing how having something slightly off, even just a hair starts throwing the whole thing out of whack, isn't it? Will you be scribing in the gunbay access panels on the wing, as well or are you finished with wing scribing?

Edited by silverkite211

silverkite211 said:
Will you be scribing in the gunbay access panels on the wing, as well or are you finished with wing scribing?

I'm using drawings by Ian Huntley as a guide, from the Warpaint monograph on the Wildcat. This shows a different panel configuration for FM-2 wings compared to F4Fs, with gun access panels only on the lower wings. Mind you, I don't really trust the drawings that much, as they don't show gun access panels for F4F wings either! Anyway, I'll take them at face value and move on. Only the fuselage to do now, and I've got as far as sanding off all the existing raised detail. Fuselages are much more tricky when it comes to re-scribing!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev

:fraidnot:Geez... the old Monogram kit demands a lot of work - and grief!

Hi there, Kevster! :bye:

Yer bulkhead is lookin' awesome. I know it's a pain in the rear, but believe me it will all be worth the effort compared to whut it would be like to see the awful way in which the wing goes thru the wheel well once the model were done. Awful! :puke: Besides, if ya were able to sort the bulkhead issue out, then the cockpit should be a breeze.

Nice lice comb on the last picture! :lol: Is it electric? :bleh: Cheer up, bloke! Worst part is in the past now. Ya're doin' it marvelously! Jimmy Thatch would be proud.

Unc²

Uncle Uncool said:
:fraidnot:Geez... the old Monogram kit demands a lot of work - and grief!

Indeed, but it's a lot of fun. I'm currently still rescribing the fuselage, and making plenty of mistakes as I go, so it's taking some time. Some of it I'll finish or fix once the fuselage halves are joined and the seams sorted out. Not sure how the riveting wheel is going to fare on that rotund little fuselage!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev