Monogram 1/48 FM-2 Conversion

In any case, I'm basically done with this one. A couple of minor disasters since my last post have really taken the wind out of my sails on this build. Firstly, I managed to snap the starboard landing gear, and only just managed to get it all back together. It's now slightly out of alignment, with a noticeable kink in the upright. It's also now very flimsy, and won't stand up to much handling at all.

Anyway, no photos yet, but I'll get some up later. Just a bit deflated by it all at the moment.

Kev

I feel your pain, I'm in the middle of a project where I'm adding details that the manufacturer couldn't be bothered to do themselves, apparently and lately it seems that as I add another piece of deatil I manage to pop something else previously attached off. Maybe once the repair to the landing gear has set up fully the join will be stronger. As for the kink, just tell people that the pilot managed to a hard, really hard landing. ;)

FINISHED!

I had originally planned to do a few more things to this build, but after the mishaps at the end, I figured it was time to pull the curtain on this one. As someone said in another thread, there are just too many other kits waiting to be built! Before I show the final photos, here's a shot of the cracked paint on the underside:

YHI0Cw.jpg

I've managed to reduce it to 'barely noticeable' under normal viewing conditions, where it actually just looks like a bit of weathering. Sort of. Oh well. Anyway, final photos:

SAeFUK.jpg

av0dBC.jpg

MsazfP.jpg

AUQihS.jpg

tzY0yL.jpg

The weathering is actually showing through quite nicely in these photos, so I guess it wasn't a waste of time after all. Thanks everyone for your help, advice and encouragement on this one - it certainly was a challenge!

Kev

Edited by Big Kev
  • Like 1

Man, that is an awesome job you've done, really liking the finished results. :speak_cool::analintruder:

Don't know if this has been solved yet, but I think the smaller bits on your PE tool can be turned round to face the plate. It looks to have a tab thingy on both ends, suggesting it can be taken out and flipped. Just my humble input.

Edited by Oddball

Apologies for dredging up this relatively ancient thread, but I've been working through the process of un-Photobucketing my build threads, and have just finished updating this one. All the image links now point to ImageShack. I thought I'd also add a couple of better photos that I took since finishing this build, as I think they show off the model better:

yCDWaH.jpg

tTo6GU.jpg

It's still one of my favourite builds, even after all these years. And no, I never did get around to repeating it in 1/32 scale - though I still intend to!

Thanks as always for looking in.

Kev

• Like 1

Nice one Kev, I admire your perseverance, I must get a new hosting service as well, but the thought of updating all those build threads does not excite me.

Cheers

Den

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Nice one Kev, I admire your perseverance, I must get a new hosting service as well, but the thought of updating all those build threads does not excite me.

Cheers

Den

Thanks, Den. The process of replacing all those images is a pain, for sure! But I figure, if no one does it, then the modelling Internet has just suffered its first mass-extinction event, and that would be a real shame. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is, I guess.

Kev

Yes Kev I agree there is a wealth of information out there and it would be a shame to lose it all, as we all use it when researching new projects, it is certainly better to learn from other people's experience.

Cheers

Den

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Kev,

That's a pretty inspirational build of a 'classic' kit, problems and all.  Lovely result.

Regards

Martin

Thanks, Martin! I have the Sword and Hobby Boss FM-2 kits in the stash, too, so I should tackle them some day. They'd look pretty neat in a trio with this one, I reckon!

Kev

2 hours ago, Big Kev said:

Thanks, Martin! I have the Sword and Hobby Boss FM-2 kits in the stash, too, so I should tackle them some day. They'd look pretty neat in a trio with this one, I reckon!

Kev

Yep, they'd look really good!  

Want to build the HB FM-2 in my stash, too.

Regards

Martin

• Like 1