Lancaster landing gear color

Plumbum

I am working on the 1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.1 and need to know color of gear legs. I know that they are black but I have seen different pictures showing various areas NMF.Are there any good pictures around or on this site somewhere?

I am working on the 1/72 Airfix Lancaster B.1 and need to know color of gear legs. I know that they are black but I have seen different pictures showing various areas NMF.Are there any good pictures around or on this site somewhere?

John

Here's a wartime alternative:

http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/media/ima...e/TR_000245.jpg

This is how I'm going to do my Revell one. Anything to break up the black a bit..!

Ian

Edited by IanC

Regarding the photo of NX611, Just Jane.

The undercarriage legs are actually what were often called Lincoln legs, although they were really late Lancaster legs. She has a new set of true Lanc legs which were donated from the spares of the Canadian, Nanton Lanc.

Chris

try this

http://www.zap16.com/zapnew/wp-content/upl...74-may07-02.jpg

bear in mind it's a contemporary photo (copyright of whoever took it).

MH

These sets were overhauled by Hawker Restorations using components supplied by BoBMF. Colours as standard. I saw one leg waiting to go back to BoBMF a few years back.

FWIW the A.V.Roe camouflage drawings for the early B1 specify the painting to be as follows:-

Upper surfaces disruptive pattern of Dark Green type 'S' to DTD 314 (Stores Ref 33B/201-203) and Dark Earth type 'S' to DTD 314 (Stores Ref 33B/198-200).

All undersurfaces, fuselage sides and entire area of fin and rudder to be painted Night to DTD 314 (Stores Ref 33B/204-206). (Night was not "matt black" per se but a mixture of 4 parts black to 1 part ultramarine so it was a very dark, almost black, blue or, if you prefer, a slightly blueish black)

"The interior of the bomb compartment, undecarriage compartment including bay and inside of doors and interior of wing flaps are to be painted Night". The main and tailwheel undercarriage legs were also supposed to be Night finish but I guess that replaced components may not have been painted. Wheel hubs often remained bare metal too.

Cockpit interiors were grey green but turret interiors were supposed to be Night. Cockpit and turret framework was to be painted in Dark Earth type 'S'.

Wing roundels were red/blue 8ft 4 in diameter centred 16ft 10in inboard from the wing tips. From 31.03.41 to 27.05.42 fuselage roundels were 49 in with 7 in diameter red, white, blue and yellow. Roundel on port side 8ft 6 in from trailing edge of wing root whilst roundel on starboard side was 5ft 3 in from trailing edge of wing root. Codes in Sky Grey, serials in Dull Red 8 in high. Fin flashes 3 x 8 in red white and blue stripes - red foremost located "level with top of tailplane" and 27 in high.

From 27.05.42 fuselage roundels were changed to 54 in diameter with 18 in red, 24 in white, 48 in blue and 54 in yellow concentrics. Fin flashes 17 in red, 2 in white and 17 in blue reduced to 24 in in height. Code letters were changed to Dull Red.

Night was not "matt black" per se but a mixture of 4 parts black to 1 part ultramarine so it was a very dark, almost black, blue or, if you prefer, a slightly blueish black

Has anyone got any pics of a (model) Lanc done using this method? Might be interesting to see, or even try :)

You might find this of use:

cdfile243.jpg

and my interpretation on my 1/48th build

enginenacelles001.jpg

Regarding blacks, I always use Tamiya NATO black on my WW2 bombers, it gives an excellent and very realistic finish in my 'umble opinion

Max