Airfix 1/48 Canberra PR9....DONE!

spike7451

Hi Ho...

Well,in an attempt to break the modelling rut I've been in over the past few month's ever since the disasterous GR4 with the bloody aweful AW decals,I went into the model shop yesterday & bought the above kit,did'nt want anything fancy or too complex & the canberra seems like a good,straightforward build

I'm building it OOB,with maybe replacement seats or ones canabalised from the spares box.Might add some wireing ect in the cockpit although it looks like the is'nt much to see.

Are the any issues,pitfalls ect to watch out for?

Cheers,

Merv

Edited by spike7451

OK,So started on the cockpit,I know they're not the correct seats but I've nicked a old seat from an Airfix Lightning & found another one that's similar in shape & size to do for the Nav's pit.

As I'm opening up the entry hatch I'm moving the seat to it's proper position..

CRIM0015.jpg

CRIM0017.jpg

CRIM0016.jpg

CRIM0014.jpg

good start, are the seats the right type?

Near as damit,they're kit seats so only a generic shape,the one going in the Nav's position I'm not too woried about as you wont see much of it but the pilots right console is going to be reshaped as it's nothing like the real one & will be visible thru the canopy.

Cockpit is nearly done,I added a jump seat at the rear,repositioned the Navs ejection seat & chopped up the instument panels a bit to make it a bit more 'realistic'..

CRIM0028.jpg

CRIM0029.jpg

CRIM0030.jpg

Next job,the fusalage,I need to fill in a few panel lines & open up the entry door.I gather the Navs windows are too high.I'm in all henesty,in too minds weather to move them or not...

As this is a kit to get my modelling mojo back,I dont want to overdo it.

Merv

• 2 weeks later...

Right,well I've got the fusalage & wings on,bit (lot!) of filler &,as asked by Bexy,I've highlighted the panel lines on the nose.

CRIM0035.jpg

CRIM0036.jpg

CRIM0037.jpg

CRIM0038.jpg

Next question....which bomb bay tray is the correct one for a 1990's PR9?....

CRIM0039.jpg

im deffinatley going to get one of these, im watching with intrest merv

It's a simple build Mark,especially as I'm not going to town on it,straight from the box although the time doing bits to the pit was a waste as you cant see anything.The only other thing I'm going to do is add a few boxes to the nose which'll be slightly open as if the ballast is about to get in.

The fits generally quite good although I used superglue gel to affix the large wings & fusalage in places before running liquid cement down the joins.

Dont go by the instructions either as the are a lot of ommisions,ie which recon tray to fit into the bomb bay?,do you fit tanks or not? & a few other ommisions.

The decals look very good for a change too straight from the box too.

as soon as ive finished lusty im back on the gulf builds, another tonka then one of these i think, i know where there is one cheap so , ill pop and get it now ive been paid, keep the threads going so i can see what to do!!!

Nose weight!Airfix provide a clear prop for the arrse end to prevent a tailsitter.The's not a lot of room up front for ballast weight so in hindsight I'd omit the cockpit bar the pilot area & fill the nose with lead or something heavy!

OK,got the main fusalage & bit's put together with the wings,engine nacelles & nose,not too much filler has been needed on the main body,mainly around the cockpit area.Only sink mark's I've found so far are on the wing sides of the exhaust parts.

Airfix dont tell you which flaps to use,the ones with the actuators? on the top or the ones without.I went with the former as they have actuator parts on the wing edge.

So now onto the preshading,something I've never done before.As the top coat is Hemp,I'm thinking a dark brown pre-shade as I think black would be too dark..

Now the undercart,what coulour is it?The instructions say silver but pics I've seen suggest grey or white,same as the dropped flaps inside?...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks peeps,

Well it is weathered & painted,decalling in progress & I hope,hope I got the placement right because,even tho the full colour plans Airfix now do are brilliant,they done show clearly enough the decal placement.

Photo's to follow when I get batteries for the camera!

:fraidnot:Bexy...? Hasn't she commented on this build yet? That's strange. Very nice build so far, spike!

Dont worry Unc, Ive been watching Merv, hes posted this in a couple of places and Ive only just noticed hes posted it here too :yahoo:

Keep up the good work Merv, nearly there Ol' Bean :worthy:

Bexy

Well,here are some of the shot's of the weathered & partly decalled jet.Looks like I'l going to have to re-decal some of the warning data cuz Airfix show them in dofferent places!

Image000.jpg

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

Image004.jpg

Bloody Airfix decals!!! :angrysoapbox.sml:

So I'm just useing the kit decals,Everything going sweet so far & then I get to the walkway demarcation lines & nearly ALL of them have spots where they wont come off the backing paper,despite mutcho soaking!!!

After paying £30 (ish) for the kit,you'd think they could get something right!!!!

Merv

I had that nightmare with most of my B2 decals, Fairyfix managed to really screw up a beautiful aeroplane both in correct profile and the joke of a decal sheet, I ended up ignoring alot of the decals because they were to hard to cut out and use.

I quite agree, £30 worth of kit, is taking the proverbial in a MAHOOSIVE way :doh:

Bexy