Vallejo Model Air Metallics

Overhaulin

Has or does anyone use these, any pitfalls when airbrushing and how do they compare with Alclad.

I was wondering as I made a start on the Airfix Mossie and used Revell Aluminium and was'nt happy with the finish and wanted to try something else.

TIA

Ian

If you're planning on using Klear over them be careful. They react with Klear (or always used to). Since that happened to me (and Phil over on Promodeller) I've switched to Citadel metalics for brush painting and Alclad for airbrushing.

Im a huge fan of Vallejo Model Colour/Air BUT the metallics and clear varnishes are a lot more proplematic to spray than the plain colours which are superb either pre thinned (Air) or thinned with water (Colour). My Airbrush doesnt like them AT ALL

I have just used Alclad II Aluminium on the front mud guard of Tamiya's Honda RC166 GP Bike (in lieu of Tamiya Chrome Silver). It goes on matt but buffed up with a mild abrasive and polished with Autoglym you can literally see your face in the finish......majeek.

Sincerely

Richard McC

I use the Model Air metallics for both airbrushing and brush painting and I find them excellent at both. After a while they can go just a touch too thick for airbrushing neat but nothing a drop of distilled water won't cure.

I also use Alclad which I also find very easy to use, just more smelly and more of a hassle to clean out of the airbrush.

If you're planning on using Klear over them be careful. They react with Klear (or always used to). Since that happened to me (and Phil over on Promodeller) I've switched to Citadel metalics for brush painting and Alclad for airbrushing.

I can second this, Klear has this effect when brushed onto the aluminium paint:

DSC_0104-1.jpg

I've got some of their gloss varnish to try instead for sealing the paint before decaling that particular model, although I haven't actually done it yet. I have to say I think the metallic paints themselves are very good and spray absolutely fine, the reaction with Klear is the only drawback for me. I will certainly use them again in the future.

• 6 years later...

I'm having issues with vallejo model colour metallics. I'm using the vallejo thinning solution but having problems after a couple of minutes spraying. Anyone have any ideas other than me buying the model air metallics?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

I would not use Vallejo Air metallics as for me they are patchy.

Just started using Vallejo Acrylic Metal Colour. I am very pleased with the results as the finish does look like metal.

I used a 0.2 needle nozzle.

If you are using Model Air Metalic try using Flow Improver. On a practice piece :yikes:

Laurie

• Like 1

Wot he said :ditto:

I find them very easy to use and have yet to have any pull-up from unmasking.

Christian, exiled to africa

• 1 month later...
On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, Tony Oliver said:

Their newer vallejo metal color (also water based) are much better than the model air metallics

On ‎06‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:02 AM, little-cars said:

They are also pre-thinned for airbrushing. For polished finishes  use their metal color gloss black under the same as you would with Alclad,

Paul

Great tips for a newbie guys - thanks a million.  I did pick up a few metallics the other day - but would like to start on the right foot - so may think again & get some metal colour finishes.  I love the fact they are acrylic & the fact that they are pre-thinned.  Thanks Paul & Tony :clap2: 

In the paint section there is a tab marked  Vallejo Metal Color. Third down in the first column.

http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/vallejo-metal-color-276-c.asp

Need to check the stock levels are up to date, we should have them all in stock.

Ta,

Paul

Edited by little-cars
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, little-cars said:

In the paint section there is a tab marked  Vallejo Metal Color. Third down in the first column.

http://www.modellingtools.co.uk/vallejo-metal-color-276-c.asp

Need to check the stock levels are up to date, we should have them all in stock.

Ta,

Paul

13 minutes ago, Tony Oliver said:

The new metal color are NOT in 17ml standard bottles. Those will be model air metallics. 

The ones you want are the larger straight (no taper) bottles with a chrome and black label. Black flip top cap

👍🏿

Thanks again guys - found them from the link - Paul - you are a star!!!

Handy to know they are not 17ml bottle - thanks Tony!!!

By the way - what are the diameter of the bottles - I have a very snazzy rack - I want to check they fit  ;) :clap2: - Yes I am a muppet :lol:

Another quick question - do they work with ordinary vallejo primer & vallejo varnish - or do I need the special gloss black primer & gloss varnish?

All information gratefully received as always.

Thanks a million,

Steve

• Like 1

They will work over normal primers, but as with any NMF a gloss black base will give the best results.

I've cheated before and done a flat black stynylrez primer (easier to work with and see flaws) then once happy with surface I added a sheen to the black with aquagloss before laying on the vallejo metal colour 👍🏿

Their varnish didn't do anything special for me. I have a model in the cabinet thats still tacky a year later with the metal colour varnish.

Aquagloss is better for sealing metals, alcald made it for theirs, but being water based will work over any metal paints really. 

👍🏿

edit - just popped to garage, bottles are 35mm across

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BIG X said:

Thanks again guys - found them from the link - Paul - you are a star!!!

Handy to know they are not 17ml bottle - thanks Tony!!!

By the way - what are the diameter of the bottles - I have a very snazzy rack - I want to check they fit  ;) :clap2: - Yes I am a muppet :lol:

Another quick question - do they work with ordinary vallejo primer & vallejo varnish - or do I need the special gloss black primer & gloss varnish?

All information gratefully received as always.

Thanks a million,

Steve

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/metal-color/family/33

May help.

35mm diameter 75mm high.

They work over Vallejo Primer and Vallejo Varnish. But the black primer as this brings out the metallic attributes as the black primer shines through the metallic coat. Not able to say on the gloss varnish as I have not tried it. Again would imagine that it keeps the metallic look better with the dedicated varnish.

Very nice finish indeed. Needs some practice. Put on in thin coats especially the first.

Laurie

• Like 1

Wow - thanks for taking the trouble to check the sizes for me boys - I bought a few of these racks...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acrylic-Varnish-Display-Organiser-Kurtzy/dp/B00LTIG03I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492459489&sr=8-2&keywords=kurtzy+nail+varnish+rack

The racks hold 37mm diameter bottles - RESULT - GET IN - BACK OF THE NET - and so on (yes I am sad) :lol:

They also hold 11 vallejo standard bottles per row snugly in a zig zag fashion - so you can easily read the colour numbers - they are designed for nail varnish - but it's OK - I'm in touch with my feminine side too.

Sounds like the Vallejo black primer is a must  - the aquagloss - is that from alcald then???

• Like 1

Yes mate. Alclad makes aquagloss. 

Dont bother with the vallejo gloss black primer. Its not really a primer  thats sandable as in to work on imperfections. Its just a shiny black undercoat to go on a sorted surface. If you really want to get some of this use option 1. Option 2 is the smelliest and has most fumes. 

For a stink free all acrylic option use no. 3. 

Options are:

1 - spot prime with a lacquer type (color irrespective) to check/work on your seams. Then an overall coat of the vallejo gloss black as a base for the NMF

2 - use a black lacquer type to check & work on your seams, then use leveling thinner to get a smooth final glossy black surface with it before the NMF. Alternatively substitute tamiya gloss black or similar for final pre-NMF coat. 

3 - prime with black stynylrez. Its a tough and sandable acrylic primer. (Leave to dry 24hrs plus before sanding though)

Once happy with seams etc then a few coats of aquagloss gives the surface a sheen to get the best out of an NMF.

Hope this helps, by no means all the options out there but a few different ways I have done things with good results 👍🏿 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Oliver said:

Yes mate. Alclad makes aquagloss. 

Dont bother with the vallejo gloss black primer. Its not really a primer  thats sandable as in to work on imperfections. Its just a shiny black undercoat to go on a sorted surface. If you really want to get some of this use option 1. Option 2 is the smelliest and has most fumes. 

For a stink free all acrylic option use no. 3. 

Options are:

1 - spot prime with a lacquer type (color irrespective) to check/work on your seams. Then an overall coat of the vallejo gloss black as a base for the NMF

2 - use a black lacquer type to check & work on your seams, then use leveling thinner to get a smooth final glossy black surface with it before the NMF. Alternatively substitute tamiya gloss black or similar for final pre-NMF coat. 

3 - prime with black stynylrez. Its a tough and sandable acrylic primer. (Leave to dry 24hrs plus before sanding though)

Once happy with seams etc then a few coats of aquagloss gives the surface a sheen to get the best out of an NMF.

Hope this helps, by no means all the options out there but a few different ways I have done things with good results 👍🏿 

Yes Tony I would go with 3 Stynylrez. But then Vallejo Gloss black primer. Gives a good base coat to give a really metallic surface

Laurie

• Like 1