And now for something completely different

Jabba

Here is the next project. Yes I know that it is a target and not something that I usually build, but as it is stash I thought that it was about time that I had a go. I have aready stuck a few things on that being the suspension thingies and a few of the panels to the top bit. I remember seeing a few of these in a HAS type building whilst at Baghdad airport, but the problem is I can't remember the colour scheme, which would either be sand (like most of the targets that I have seen the Iraqis use) or green.

SAM-6001.jpg

SAM-6002.jpg

jabba the one i saw, was green over painted with sand, and it was flaking away well, but it was an old version not in current service, right i need to crack on and build more, you are beating me on builds, hmm what next......

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on this project. I have decided to make this so far in three seperate models. That is the lower hull, upper hull and the turret/ missile carrier. So far it has not been a problem, but not being a target builder normally I am taking this one a little slower. There might even be a 4th part when I get to the missiles themsleves as they too have several parts to each one. To be honest I am not looking forward to the wheels and tracks on this one as them seem rather complicated to me.

SAM-6003.jpg

SAM-6004.jpg

SAM-6005.jpg

Although not much seems to have been done to this model, I have added a lot of small bits and pieces so that each little model can be completed before it is all joined together. I have completed the missile carrier, so I will put this aside until painting. As I am not normally a target builder, I am taking this a little slower than I would normally do, but there do seem to be a lot of parts on multiple sprues which I think is taking me more time to find than anything else. Hopefully this week I will also make a start on the missiles themselves.

SAM-6006.jpg

SAM-6007.jpg

SAM-6008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have started to add alot of the smaller parts to this, but not enough to warrant photos. Hopefully this week I might have some of the bigger parts joined together and start to build up the missiles.

A big milestone happened this week with the joining of the upper and lower main parts. I also stuck on a lot of the smaller parts including the etched brass ones. I have also made a start on the telegraph poles , sorry missiles themselves, which need a touch of filler at the front so this will be sanded down before I add the wing things. So it is onwards and upwards with the painting of this one not so far away. The thing after that which I am really not looking forward to is the making of the tracks, so if anyone has any advice of this PLEASE say so.

SAM-6009.jpg

SAM-6010.jpg

SAM-6011.jpg

SAM-6012.jpg

Not much done this week as I have been concentrating on the ES-3. I have mangaed to get the missiles together, so hopefully I should start to paint this thing.

SAM-6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have now started to paint this thing. I first applied small green splodges to various panels, and then applied copydex over even smaller areas. Hopefully when the sand top colour is added I will be able to remove the copydex so that the green patches look like worn areas. I have not tried this before so I am hoping that it does work to some degree. Then it will be onto the missiles, and the question here is what colour are they painted? I am thinking white or a light grey, as the instructions say green.

SAM-6013.jpg

SAM-6014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seems that I have been a bit slow iwth some updates of this model. Yet again murphy and his laws have struck again. I came to the ned of the tin of paint that I was using, no problem I will go and get a new one, which I did. Unfortunately when I came to use it in some of the smaller areas that needed a touch up Ifound out that the colour hue was different to the paint previously used, so I had to repaint the whole model again. I have also had problems finding the copydex that I put on to act as peeling paint, but I did manage to find some and have taken it off. On top of the main colour I have also dry brushed a darker brown paint to take a bit of the brightness off it. I also intend to dry brush the model all over with a light grey and then a wash of thinned black paint. I have also painted the missiles, although not the colour given in the instructions which was green, and I felt that this did not seem right for a desert based item. The wheels have also been painted and will go through the process that the main parts have gone through. Hopefully this shall start coming together over the next week or so, along with the dreaded tracks.

SAM-6015.jpg

SAM-6016.jpg

SAM-6017.jpg

SAM-6018.jpg

SAM-6019.jpg

Edited by Jabba

Altough Ithought that I had not done much modelling this week, I have managed to complete a few things. No sorry not the whole model, some of the smaller things that needed to be done. I have finished the weathering, and also got the missile launcher all built up. I have managed somehow to attach the tracks to one side of the main body. I will say that it was a little easier than I thought it would be, but I still have the other side to go yet, so here's hoping that it goes just as well. I still have a few of the smaller parts to add to the main body, but hopefull this one will be built by this time next week.

SAM-6020.jpg

SAM-6021.jpg

SAM-6022.jpg

SAM-6023.jpg

SAM-6024.jpg

well jabba, do you realise you havetime for another 10 before the end of the GB

keep em coming

Sorry to say but only possibly one more after the Alpha Jet is built. But then you never know.

Well it is now all finished. Did not have a particularly good week with this one as I must have slightly murrayed it when I said that the track that I had put on went on quite easily. No the other side was a bit of a bugger and the model almost went against the wall a few times. I also had a slight problem with the rope thing at the front as one of the mounts decided to come off as it was too close to the structure when I tried to put one of the ends over it. Still as a none target builder it was on the whole an enjoy kit to build, I may even try some more.

SAM-6025.jpg

SAM-6026.jpg

SAM-6027.jpg

SAM-6028.jpg

SAM-6029.jpg

SAM-6030.jpg

SAM-6031.jpg