1/72 Lysander

coolhand

Hi all,

The above is my entry for this GB.

Below are a few photos of the kit.

IMGP1893.jpg

IMGP1899.jpg

IMGP1895.jpg

As you can see its an older and basic kit, but i thought it would make a good challenge to get a decent finish.

The aircraft I'm going to build is LY-120 of 2/ LeLv 16 (summer 1942)

However I have come across a bit of a problem, the kit only provides decals but no painting guide for the Finnish aircraft!

I have done a little research and this is what I have come up with so far.

Upper surfaces- Oliivinvihrea (Hum 116) & Musta (Hum 85)

Lower surfaces- Here's the problem. I want to use the light grey colour used on Finnish aircraft but I don't have a clue what sort of shade it was!! I know after May 1942 a light blue colour was adopted but this was only normally done during major repairs and overhalls carried out in Finland and this aircraft does not seem to have left Russia. Can anybody help me with this?

Also does anyone have a painting guide for a Finnish Lysander the could scan me a copy of? At the moment all can find are ones for the aircrafts port side!!

Better get started

Thanks for looking

• 4 weeks later...

I made this kit about 4 years ago - as a blitzbau (24 hour build) - the decals were not too bad if you really treat them with kid gloves, but the canopy was much too narrow for the body and very thick plastic. I bought it because it had the Finnish markings, and will be starting my 1/32 one very soon to do in the same scheme.

186073307.jpg

186073299.jpg

186073287.jpg

I hope you make a better job of yours than I managed with this, but spending more than 24 hours on it may help!

cheers

Al.

EDIT: Andy, I have this set of decals that also has a paint plan, PM me your email address if you want me to scan it for you.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AMLD7202

Edited by beany

Hi,

I found the instruction sheet for Eduard 1/48 Lysander. http://www.eduard.cz/products/pdf/n11/1138.pdf. Maybe it will help.

IMHO the decals for your kit looks very strange. I don´t like the colour and shape of Finish svastikas. I suppose if you can, use another decals for it. AML decal are good choice.

I am looking forward to see next...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info guys.

Now just one more question before I make a start, what colour should the interior be? I was thinking either RAF interior green or the Finnish grey colour? If it is the grey colour is there a match from the Humbrol range?

Cheers

The Finnish Westland Lysanders were built in the UK. As such, they would not have used the Finnish grey for the interior, at least not when first built. What happened during any subsequent rebuilds in service is open to question. Unless you have specific information that your subject received a substantial rebuild in Finnish service, sticking to RAF interior green for the structure would be a safe bet, with any fabric areas represented by a reddish dope,

Cheers,

Bill.

Hi,

Thanks for all the help, I'm finally ready to start!!!

Hopefully some pics by the weekend

As far as the decals go, I've tested a couple I'm not going to need and they don't seem to be too bad. will have to see how things go.

More soon.