Mirage 2000c 1/5 Vendee, 1989

OK..... rather tentatively, and with my back fully waterproofed (quack), here is another quick project from the last few weeks:

FredT :pilot:

The "C", or Chasse (fighter) version of the Mirage 2000 has been a core part of the French Air Defences since the late 1980s. Its sleek and blended shape is still recognisably derived from the early Mirage III, but with a more modern and aggressive stance. :fight:

Armed with 2x30mm cannon :mg: , MBDA Super 530 BVR air-to-air missiles and the R550 Magic (sidewinder equivalents), some 50 years after it first flew, the evolved Mirage weapons platform remains a potent combat capability, in the same class as the F-16.

Mirage 2000c aircraft from EC. 1/5 participated in Operation Daguet, the First Gulf War in 1990/91 and during the Bosnian war of the mid 1990s. They also starred in the film Chevaliers du Ciel (Knights of the Sky). The squadron was dissolved in 2007 and its aircraft sold to Brasil.

This is the Airfix offering from the mid 1990s, also issued by Heller. It has raised panel lines, so probably not for the serious modeller(?) :coolio: and for once the transfers were actually in register.

Anyway, I enjoyed building it, which is, after all, the underlying purpose of the hobby. :bounce:

P3310147.jpg

P3310146.jpg

P3310143.jpg

P3310144.jpg

Edited by gengriz

Scrubs up very nicely - well done sir!

Just goes to show that although Airfix kits often lack the finesse or recessed line of the newer Asian manufacturers, they usually have the right look and with care make into very nice models.

Thanks for showing.

Mark

Scrubs up very nicely - well done sir!

Just goes to show that although Airfix kits often lack the finesse or recessed line of the newer Asian manufacturers, they usually have the right look and with care make into very nice models.

Thanks for showing.

Mark

My sentiments precisely! Airfix have a knack of getting the overall shape spot-on (remember the old 1/72nd Hawk?), who cares if these old kits need a bit more work. They can make for more satisfyling builds as a result.

And this Mirage is superb, I especially like the soft edges on the camouflage.