Academy P38 in metal foil

4479825678_0676e16a5a_s.jpg

how I loved and hated this model! it looks great I think (I am no master modeller despite my Britmodeller 'name' which I don't really deserve!). it is the first reasonable sized model I have attempted and the effect is FAR better than I have achieved with other means but it took SOOOOOOOOOOO long to do, and close inspection reveals all the tatty bits where the foil has pulled away while handling etc (anyone who has done this will know what I mean I suspect) so my solution is not to let anyone TOO close! finished with Sainsburys economy foil with foil glue I bought a while ago. I am presently experimenting with chocolate wrappers which seems promising (picture attached if it works) thanks for looking and sorry the picture may be a bit small! will try to rectify when I get a minute!

SNC13057.JPG

4479825678_0676e16a5a.jpg

how I loved and hated this model! it looks great I think (I am no master modeller despite my Britmodeller 'name' which I don't really deserve!). it is the first reasonable sized model I have attempted and the effect is FAR better than I have achieved with other means but it took SOOOOOOOOOOO long to do, and close inspection reveals all the tatty bits where the foil has pulled away while handling etc (anyone who has done this will know what I mean I suspect) so my solution is not to let anyone TOO close! finished with Sainsburys economy foil with foil glue I bought a while ago. I am presently experimenting with chocolate wrappers which seems promising (picture attached if it works) thanks for looking and sorry the picture may be a bit small! will try to rectify when I get a minute!

SNC13057.JPG

I got rid of the _s in your URL. A nice model! I've not tried foil (or any bare metal finish for that matter), but I am planning to do a few bits (spinner and exhausts) on a Heston racer model.

Is the foil glue a type of PVA?

SNC13057.JPG

Please... you're not doing a metallic purple Lightning are you! :)

Seriously I tried metallic kitkat wrappers and they worked brilliantly, shame its all going over to plastic wrappers now, can do nothing with them.

I got rid of the _s in your URL. A nice model! I've not tried foil (or any bare metal finish for that matter), but I am planning to do a few bits (spinner and exhausts) on a Heston racer model.

Is the foil glue a type of PVA?

I bought it from the IPMS nationals a year or two back, it just calls itself 'foil adhesive'. it is water soluble and seems a bit like Copydex used to be at school, possibly. thanks fo coments
I bought it from the IPMS nationals a year or two back, it just calls itself 'foil adhesive'. it is water soluble and seems a bit like Copydex used to be at school, possibly. thanks for comments
(and thanks for whatever you did with my URL-I have much to learn, should stick to the plastic methinks).

Please... you're not doing a metallic purple Lightning are you! :)

Seriously I tried metallic kitkat wrappers and they worked brilliantly, shame its all going over to plastic wrappers now, can do nothing with them.

ah, you might find Quality Street worth a try-my Wife's Niece was collecting them all up for me over Christmas, as have most of my family!

That's purely fantastic, very very well done. I've 'eard that foiling is easy........I may never know as I'm to big a chicken to jump on that bit of modeling.... :(:S

Edited by Angels49