Trumpy's big T'bolt

Hi All,

I'm back this time with my effort at building the Trumpeter 1/32 P-47D:-

PICT0518.jpg

PICT0519.jpg

PICT0521.jpg

PICT0523.jpg

An excellent kit, in my opinion, but with a few 'nitpicks'. The plug lead distributer ring on the engine front has provision for 17 double leads - for an 18 cylinder engine! Someone at Trumpeter can't count. Also a great deal of 'fettling is required to get a good fit of the engine cowling.

It's a great shame that a lot of the interior detail Trumpeter has provided in the kit cannot be seen once the fuselage halves go together. With this in mind, I decided to open up the panels just aft of the engine. Hope you like it.

Regards,

Glenn.

Very nice to see a P-47 in SEAC markings.

Well done job !

But there's one thing I find odd.

The gunbarrels painted white ? I don't think that's correct.

Edited by Erwin

Very nice to see a P-47 in SEAC markings.

Well done job !

But there's one thing I find odd.

The gunbarrels painted white ? I don't think that's correct.

Hi Erwin,

According to the photograph in RAF Thunderbolts by Geoff Thomas on page 15, this was indeed the case.

Regards,

Glenn.

Hi Erwin,

According to the photograph in RAF Thunderbolts by Geoff Thomas on page 15, this was indeed the case.

Regards,

Glenn.

Hi,

If there is evidence then it's OK.

I just never saw it before.

Very impressive, clean build!

In fact, it looks so clean and pristine that I assume the intention is to show it just after it came off the ship. It doesn't quite give the impression of have seen a lot of action in tropical conditions, to my eyes… ;-) Perhaps the photos don't quite convey the subtleties of the finish?

Best,

Joachim

Great job on that Jug Glenn. :D

Ginger Lacey's words on flying the P47 after the Spitfire just sprang to mind - "The only way to take evasive action in it was to undo the straps & run around the cockpit!"

Pete

Glenn,

I do like your choice of words........ "I hope you like it" :hmmm: Well, I can safely say I dont like it............ I BLOOMIN LOVE IT :worthy: Other than Canberras & Phantoms, the P47 is one of those butt ugly aircraft that have a certain appeal, and Sir, this is no exception, you've done an amazing job :worthy:

Thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

Bexy

P.S: Trumpy get something right.......... :hmmm: Lets not go there shall we :whistle:

Glenn, that is just simply stunning, can you tell me if you added any extra detail behind the open cowlings or is it all OOB?

Regards

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I added a few pieces of solder, wire, tubing and plastic rod to the area, all the rest is in the kit.

Regards,

Glenn.

Very impressive, clean build!

In fact, it looks so clean and pristine that I assume the intention is to show it just after it came off the ship. It doesn't quite give the impression of have seen a lot of action in tropical conditions, to my eyes… ;-) Perhaps the photos don't quite convey the subtleties of the finish?

Best,

Joachim

Hi Joachim,

The model is not quite as clean as the photos show. I've added some scratches, stains etc. and faded the upper camoflage. Actually, from the photo I have, the aircraft looks quite pristine, so I was a little restrained with my weathering.

Regards,

Glenn.

Very nice indeed.

I had the pleasure of meeting an ex P-47 pilot last year who flew these in India. He was a great bloke.

One thing he did tell us from a modelling point of view was that the paint on the wing where he got in was very waorn as he used to wear big boots for flying in cast he ever had to come down in the jungle.

He also had some hairy tales about flying with makeshift napalm tanks!

Julien