Supermarine Scimitar F1, Xtrakit 1/72

I have finally finished the Supermarine Scimitar F1 that i started back in June.I was buillding it alongside the Sea Vixen which prolonged the build somewhat.In the end i put the Vixen on the backburner,and decided to finish this one.It wasn't an easy build but i'm quite pleased with the finished result.I haven't weathered this one at all as the decals option dipict the airframe as she was when she was newly painted and displayed at RIAT IN 2003.I remember this aircraft being used for deck handling practice at RNAS Culdrose when i was in the ATC,and i remember it being moved down to Aeropark near Helston,which i could see from my bedroom window.I moved away to Southampton and years later she was purchased by the Solent Sky museum in Southampton and painted in her current markings.She was displayed at RIAT in 2003 and then went into open storage in Timsbury near Romsey,about half a mile from my house.She has been somewhat neglected and is now in need of some TLC.

4470030381_fffcf99122.jpg

4470033493_7577303fa4.jpg

4470028903_4db6066483.jpg

nice :) how was the general fit of it? In your wip report, it got quite bad marks...

Alex

Not great.Plenty of filler was needed,the intake splitter plates being a particularly poor fit.But with a bit of work,perseverence and the occasional swear word,it is possible to get a good result.The better modellers here will be able to do it far more justice than i have,but i'm pleased with it.

Very nice indeed, really fancy one of these. I actually met this aircraft when I was a kid and it managed to take a chunk of my thumb - still have the scar :)

Very nice indeed, really fancy one of these. I actually met this aircraft when I was a kid and it managed to take a chunk of my thumb - still have the scar :)

Yesss? Go on, where'd you stick your thumb then? :innocent:

Thanks for looking,and all the comments.Hopefully this year should result in a few more FAA builds.The Vixen is ready for painting,i've just started a SHAR FSR1 and i'm hoping to squeeze in a Buccy and a Sea Prince as well.

That's very nice! She actually turns out better that the parts on the sprues promise, or perhaps thats just a reflection of the effort you put into the model?

Martin

Good looking Scimitar, great work.