ES-3A Viking

Jabba

My next project is the ES-3A Viking. I have the hasegawa kit, plus the Wolfpack conversion for the wing fold.

Viking001.jpg

Here are the kit parts and the paint instructions

Viking002.jpg

Here are the metal bits for the ES-3A conversion.

Viking003.jpg

The next 2 photos show the Wolfpack conversion and instructions

Viking004.jpg

Viking005.jpg

So onwards and upwards.

Here is what I have done so far. I started with what I thought would be the worst part of this model and that was the cutting up of the upper wing so that the wing fold parts can be attached. This is shown in the first photo. I have noticed in pictures of actual aircraft that the right hand end of the inner wing is not quite correct on the update. The update shows the flap to be flush with the end of the wing, but in photos I have seen the flap extends past this a little. This extension is then missing from the beginning of the outer wing. So with a sharp knife and a bit of patience I cut out a small piece from the outer wing. I have not glued in on yet but will do so tonight probably. I have also been working on the cockpit and have glued it in. Having now assessed how much weight I need to stop it sitting on its backside, plastercine and lead shot have been added, and I shall hopefully get the fuselage together tonight.

Viking006.jpg

Viking007.jpg

cracking start jabba

is there any aircraft from the gulf war that you haven got / built!

Many and mostly biggish one, such as the Hercules, but as with most things they are up in the loft awaiting build sometime. It is mainly now due to lack of space at home as some models now do not come out of their respective boxes in between shows. Still there are alot of strange and unusual smaller models to make.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update on where I am with this model. I have now got the fuselage together and the inner part of the folding wings fitted. The joint with these was not as bad as I first thought and just a little adjusting got them sitting quite well. Although Hasegawa provide all the lumps and bumps for most of the conversion, they have forgotten to provide the bulges that are on the old bomb bay doors. I have added these with a couple of strips of thickish plasti card plus a little filler. Hopefully this week I shall get the engines together and the lumps added to the fuselage. Hopefully then I will put the nose gear bay part on, this has been left off at the moment incase it is a tail sitter, even though I have done a trial run with everything fitted.

Viking008.jpg

Viking009.jpg

Viking010.jpg

Viking011.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have now got the engines, weapon pylons and the tailplanes added. I have cut off the elevators as from a lot of photos that I have seen these are moved from their central position when the aircraft is shut down. I will also be doing a similar thing with the outer wing ailerons as this seems to be the case with wing folded Vikings. Hopefully in the next week I shall have the cockpit built up a little and the canopy put on so that I can start the painting of this model.

Viking012.jpg

Viking013.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It seems like a age since I did an update on this model. Things have fallen a bit behind on this, and the SAM-6 as I have been concentrating on another model which I will be taking to my local club on Monday. so a few things have happened, such as adding the seats to the cockpit (canopy has since been added), elevators added at a slight angle from neutral and the ailerons have been removed from the outer wings. I will be adding these before I join the outer wings to the rest of the model after painting, but I have not as yet decided on the way that these surfaces will be angled, as I am studying many photos and they show many permitations of this. Hopefully I shall get the U/C bays and the U/C painted, then attached so that I can start the main painting.

Viking014.jpg

Viking015.jpg

Viking016.jpg

Viking017.jpg

Hi ya Jabba,

Just caught up with this one, ugly little bugger isnt it? But, youre doing a cracking job, and Im looking forwards to see her arms folded, something Im very neverous of doing :yikes:

Bexy

Nice work Jabba

never mind messing about wiv stuff for your club mate

get on wiv the GBuilids :whip::P

That one was meant to be a quickish build, but somehow turned out much longer to do than I thought. Anyway I got all the bays and wing fold items sprayed last night, but had a slight problem when removing all the masking. For some reason one of the engines decided to break away from the wing. This has now been restuck, and tonight I shall hopefully have the canopy masked and the undercarriage attached, then it shall be on with the painting.

Hi ya Jabba,

Just caught up with this one, ugly little bugger isnt it? But, youre doing a cracking job, and Im looking forwards to see her arms folded, something Im very neverous of doing :yikes:

Bexy

The update set from Wolfpack Designs does make it a whole lot easier, as long as you do follow the instructions, because all you do is replace kit parts.

Nice work Jabba

never mind messing about wiv stuff for your club mate

get on wiv the GBuilids :whip::P

And the annoying thing now is that because I finished work late last night, I did not make it along to the club meet.

I have got this one painted this week and also added the U/C. I did manage to get the ailerons attached to the wings at some sort of angle. Every photo that I could find showed them in different positions, so I took it that any old position will do. I have not done any weathering yet, and will hopefully scruff it up this week along with adding the decals.

Viking018.jpg

Viking019.jpg

Viking020.jpg