Trumpeter TU-22 M3 Backfire C..

Thought it about time I cracked on with this one as I've wanted to add an M3 to my collection of Soviet heavy jet bombers ever since I heard it was to be released, as I much prefer this version to the earlier M2 variant. So this is the new Trumpy Backfire C, the much improved version of the powerful VG strategic bomber still operated by the Russian and Ukranian air force to this day. This is definately one of Trumpeters best efforts to date

This will be one of two big builds this year so I want to go to town on it and have the model displayed with everything hanging out...should be fun..

The kit itself is basically the same as the M2 variant produced earlier with the addition of a new streamlined nose, angular intakes, new cannon and radome, repositioned air relief doors, correct wing root gloves and usable rotary launcher and Raduga Kh-15 missiles. The model scales out well against the plans and drawings I have from Aviapress and Aviation.RU. Known issues are the incorrect windshield shape, awful wheels, a couple of fairings in the wrong place and appearing where they shouldn't and poor, incorrect seats and main gear extension struts, there are a few more but I'll deal with them as I come across them.

To increase accuracy I've got hold of the Equipage wheel set, Neo mega KT1 seats, and the great Authentic Decal set number 77-22(1) which includes some very nice sharksmouths :wicked:

The Equipage sets really are fantasic if pricey and consist of green resin wheels and soft rubber tyres and add massively to the look of the thing, only needing to be ( carefully) drilled out to fit to the kit parts stub axles. The Neomega seats are also very well done,( though a few have commented on how 'cluncky' they look), but they are a huge improvement on the kit parts which include the wrong seats completely!,

Apparently there is a new cockpit tub in the offing as the kit one is too shallow, too late for this build but maybe for the next.. :whistle:

Anyway on with the model.....

The rather large box....

P1070222-1.jpg

NeoMega seat set...

P1080011-1.jpg

kt1m1.jpg

The Equipage wheel set compared to the kit parts...

wheels-1.jpg

The very comprehensive Authentic Decals sheet, covering both M2 and M3's...an awful lot of stencils!!

01.jpg

02.jpg

P1070513-1-1-1.jpg

These are the rather paltry kit decals including silver leading edge decals..(I'll probably use Bare Metal foil for these areas)..

Tru_Tupolew_Tu-22M3_decal_01-1.jpg

And plans for both Russian and Ukranian markings..

Tru_Tupolew_Tu-22M3_BA_01.jpg

Tru_Tupolew_Tu-22M3_BA_02.jpg

References are from.

1857800656.jpg

P1070951-1.jpg

Aviation.ru

Scalemodels.ru,

Aviapress and the many walkaround pictures kindly sent to me by various folks..... :cheers:

Melchskii...

Let battle commence!.... :hobbyhorse:

• Like 2

Damn it, that's that then!!..........can hardly show my face at the Miss Soviet Union, (heavy industrial plant machinery and super power lifters category), 2010 finals in Chernobyl if they think I'm a fella now can I ??..........on the other hand , who would notice the difference ???? :analintruder: ?....

Right ,well first up as usual is the cockpit which as Shaun pointed out is too shallow which in turn means that the nice Neo seats need to be severly hacked to bits to fit both in depth and width, (not that this is a problem on the finished model really). Plans are afoot to make a replcement resin tub as there is a little space under the floor to add that depth.

The seats themselves are rather nice and replace the totally inaccurate kit parts, which for some reason represent the K-36 ejection seats instead of the KT-1M used by the real thing...

After throwing some paint and washes at them they come up quite nicely..

P1070817-1-1.jpg

P1070818-1.jpg

P1070521-1.jpg

The cockpit pretty much finished just a bit more dry brushing and fine detail to add and we're there...I've added some red canopy release handles and made some throttles and spoiler levers as well as several new instrument consoles that were missing.....getting a bit crampped in there. New crt screen s to add and a few fuse boxes down the side of each seat...

P1070526-1-1.jpg

P1070524-1.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks, fellas, Deon everything will be hanging out including the main gear doors which were only open during the gear retraction cycle or in maintenance mode, (there are a few pics of an aircraft in this state at an airshow in the Ukraine, so that's what I'll do with a diorama to match..).

There's just too much detail to leave it all buttoned up, so it will be presented...tackle out as it were..wings fully unswept, flaps, slats and airbrakes out, bombay and wheel bays open, fully armed, canopies open and landing lights deployed.. !!,

I'm also going to cut out the inner main flaps and drop them as they are fixed on the kit for some reason.....that should cover just about everything...

Melchie...

yesterday I managed to get these bits done ..for some reason I always like to get the undercariage, doors, exhausts, etc out of the way first, then move onto the big stuff. There are plenty of bits to keep you happy here!!

The inner exhaust petals have to be scribed as the kit parts are just plain smooth plastic.....

Painted with Alclad magnesium, pale gold, duralumin, jet exhaust and aluminium, finished using oil washes, (burnt umber and lamp black thinned with white spirit) and MiG pigments...

P1080022-1-1.jpg

P1080017-1-1.jpg

P1080023-1-1.jpg

Afterburner rings and fan face courtesy of a spare Aires B-58 set...

P1080004-1.jpg

Next the undercarriage..

Looks rather impressive to me so far, General.

I too like to build up small subassemblies and get them out of the way (propellers, wheels, landing gear struts, doors, canopies, drop tanks, etc) since i sort of get a quick-fix feeling of accomplishment by doing those things. Trouble is, they often get hangar rash rattling around in the box. i also like to get the extraneous sprues out of the box and into the recycle dumpster as early as possible.

i dont know what impresses me more about the Backfire- The aestheics, or the fact is powered by only two whopping ginormous engines. If the plane were designed to meet FAR Part 25 standards, it would be required to climb out on only one engine if it suffered a failure.

Will be watching with interest..... :popcorn:

david

Thanks fellas , Dave,

i also like to get the extraneous sprues out of the box and into the recycle dumpster as early as possible.

Me too...can't wait to carefully cut everything from the sprue gates, recycle 'em then trim the parts up, sand smooth, put carefully into a snap bag, store away, lose, then find one day and wonder what kit all these bits came off!! :banghead:

Keef, thanks....well,you should see my twin sister Boris if you think that's bad!! As for reference sites, ' Soviet industrial grade shot putters, slaughterwomen and heavy plant operatives-R-us.com' is one I use regularly if that's any help...

Thanks chaps,

Yeah and their planes ain't too bad either!! :whistle:

Mind you !!! :hmmm:

ugly-man-transvestite-fat-bitch-men.jpg

Oh good Lord! :who-let-rip:

The model's looking great though Andy - but I have a question: are you not running out of space yet..?!

BTW - will you be at Cosford..? Be good to catch up...

Spence :)

' Soviet industrial grade shot putters, slaughterwomen and heavy plant operatives-R-us.com' is one I use regularly if that's any help...

:rofl: :rofl: I'll have to check that one out, I've been looking for a good site on slaughterwomen....!! :rofl: :rofl:

K

Looking good so far, General. Cockpit is certaintly colourful!

Are you going to post a picture of all your Russian Heavies when this one is finished? ^_^

Just one question that's always left me guessing....

02.jpg

How are you meant to put tiny stencils like these on?

Thanks chaps,

Spence, Lovely ain't she/he/it !.. :analintruder: .......space is definately becoming an issue, the walls of Melchett Towers are now starting to groan under the weight!!!, I think the transfer of stuff to local air museum is now a likely option....

Yep I'll be at Cosford so see you there....................(will you be there with Telford or magazine ?)...

Thanks Daz, just adding finishing touches to the undercarriage at the moment ....Keef , I'll get you web addys of some great slaughter girl sites, ..................I'm sure there's a Swansea division!!

Nakajima...........Very carefully is the answer there...put on some good mood music, I find Metallica or Dvorjak usually helps...a good pair of magnifying glasses, tweezers, Micro Sol and Set and a steady hand usually does the job. A lot of those on that sheet are for the missiles alone!!!......

Cheers all :cheers:

Andy

Metallica

AWESOME! Master of Puppets for the epic win! And love the build so far-excellent as always from the General. How do you find the time to juggle all these builds? TSR.2, Tu-22M3, that XF-108 rapier, and all your GB entries-the mind boggles!

Edited by F111Fan

Right, the undercariage is nearly done...final wiring / plumbing will be done when the gears in situ. The gears are pretty good if slightly inaccurate, but they look the part, adding hydraulic lines and pumps busies them up a bit..refitting the modified retrasction struts is a must , they need to be turned through 90 degrees to sit correctly..

Finished with Gunze Mr Hobby acrylics, and oils washes...

Tom........Black Album..puts me in the mood for a bit of metal mayhem every time!! :wicked:

P1080028-1.jpg

P1080026-1.jpg

P1080030-1.jpg

P1080032-1.jpg

P1080034-1.jpg

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 1

Cheers Tom, yep St Anger'll do it, ..though Joe Satriani really blows the cobwebs away for me...................truly inspirational axe wielding :jump_fire: !!

Anyway..modified the cockpit hatches as the inner window anti flash shields are far too small and need opening up some as shown below, also the first aid boxes are way too small so have been replaced with 2mm card..gotta find some tiny red crosses now!!,

modified windows on the left...(obviously!)..

P1080035-1.jpg

P1080036-1.jpg