Trumpeter TU-22 M3 Backfire C..

Jim, not so daft, for the Soviet stuff I generally use sites like this,

Scale models.RU

Which is perfect for walkrounds and detailed photos of unusual types. The site contains everything you need and is a really great resource for all things Soviet ( and others!).

There are many sites I use for 3 view drawings which are then scanned and enlarged to full scale before being used as templates. I always use scale drawings, particularly for the big Russian stuff due to the fact that a lot of the early models, for instance ESCI/Revells TU-22 Blinder and Backfire are very inaccurate and so using these allows me to build the thing to the correct dimensions. Not so important with the new stuff such as Amodels Amonster range due to the fact that the models are scaled from official drawings in the first place, (archive material from the nearby Monino Air Museum) and are therefore correct to start with, (wish the same could be said for a few others.........Trumpeter comes to mind :whistle:) .

The main site I use is,

Rusjet.RU

It's in Russian,( well the first page is, just hit the links then a page will come up with a choice for which language you want to use, takes a bit od getting used to but it's superb and covers mos taircraft not just Soviet).

But there are others such as

Scale plans

There are many, you just have to keep delving. Several of the really good ones I've used have since disappeared but new ones spring up every now and then. Another great site for all things Soviet is Aviapedia which is home to a lot of downloadable free videos which I use all the time.

Hope this helps Jim, and thanks for comments, :cheers:

Melchett.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that Mike, the model is just having the finishing touches added today, there's a lot of small detail that Trumpeter missed which have had to be added, (this is taking a lot longer than planned as I discover more!!) and hopefully it'll be ready for posting over the next few days......

Cheers :cheers:

Andy

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry chaps, not paying attention as usual ! Good Lord, bit of a blast from the past....yes it was finished back in 2010 and featured in Model Aviation World magazine that year. Out of interest I have another on the go at the moment this time an M2 modified to a natural metal finished Tu-22M0 prototype as seen at Monino.

Here's a few photos from the vault, the Authentic decals sheet 72-22 was used, couldn't resist the sharkmouthed Kamenniy Ruchey AB  Red 57

Here's the real thing, (nicely cleaned up for a show)

Sharkmouth Backfire C

Red 57

Cheers all:cheers:

P1100642.jpg

P1100651.jpg

P1100648.jpg

P1090309-1-1.jpg

P1090316-1.jpg

P1090317-1.jpg

• Like 15

Thanks chaps, I was pretty sure I'd posted this in RFI all those years ago but can't seem to find it now, anyhow glad you like it, it was a blast to build. 

Those mines must have added a crapton of drag. Shudder to think what the hourly fuel burn might have been....

Agreed David almost seems like heresy having such a graceful design and then hanging racks of draggy ordnance off it like this, as you say couldn't have done much for mpg and the operational M3 wasn't rigged for IFR, (though it was originally intended to use an integrated system before the SALT II Treaty). 

Definitely one of Trumpeter's better efforts, actually same goes for their Tu-160 which I also have lurking...just great to see them produced as mainstream kits.

• 2 months later...

Thanks chaps,

Glynn here are a few shots of the modified fuselage and fin. There are many differences between the prototype M0 and the 2M. Very much work in progress. The wings, (which have the aerodynamic fairings added, part of the Tu-22 illusion) have been finished but are packed away at the moment as is the modified undercarriage with it's extended central wheels on the triple bogies. Hope they are of interest.

DSC_0768_zpsjygdeic3.jpg

DSC_0772_zpsgqtartlb.jpg

DSC_0771_zpsqk2cchwk.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, general melchett said:

Thanks chaps, I was pretty sure I'd posted this in RFI all those years ago but can't seem to find it now, anyhow glad you like it, it was a blast to build. 

Here you go mate ;)

I have to say, it looks brilliant... another for the 'BTIC' ;)

• Like 1

Thanks fellas, appreciated. 

Radders, 

another for the 'BTIC' ;)

Oh yes...along with many more as you well know, though table space may quickly become a bit of an issue :banghead:!

Thanks James, very kind of you, hopefully I'll be able to finish a few more Soviet heavies in the near future......there's still a 1/72nd 3MN Bison and Tu-160 that needs finishing..... 

• Like 2

After seeing the bare metal red 33 from monino  after a little internet search   you look to have captured the inlets and fuselage  of the m0 beautifully look forward to seeing the airframe complete one day ,are you going to paint it as the weathered example as at monino?

Glynn

• Like 1

Thanks Hewy, yes it'll have a well weathered, faded look to it as I find that's the most interesting way to portray a Soviet BMF. It won't look abandoned but certainly have the appearance of a well tested airframe. There were many subtle differences between the seven M0's particularly the shape of the parabolic ECM fairing above the engines, the second prototype at Monino having a blunter shape which during the testing phase housed the spin recovery parachute, later aircraft had the more streamlined shape of the SSEP Siren-A system as fitted to the KPD Blinders. The shape of the fin side-mounted APU exhaust was also changed. The airframe I'm interested in modelling is c/n 500207 'Black 202' at Irkutsk (later Red 41) as this had a pair of MBD3-U9M MER's mounted under the forward engine nacelles and and used to test the system for the later M2, (which are provided for in the kit).  

• Like 1

Ah don't worry about table space... We'd sort something. I must message you, got some news about something top secret ;)

What have you done for the different nose on the M0, butchered an Esci kit?

• Like 1

PM replied to...sounds interesting !

What have you done for the different nose on the M0, butchered an Esci kit?

No, it's the kit's M2 one, the M0's nose was similar to the Blinder KD series and carried on in the M1 and M2, (M0's,  M1's and initially M2's had the IFR fitted but after SALT II these were removed from operational M2's),  I just scratch-built the IFR housing and probe...there's nothing from the ESCI kit that's needed for this one, and that's being kind.....The wheels were sourced from the Armory resin range and the modified undercarriage partly rebuilt using brass rod, also used their superb PE NK-144 engine afterburner and exhaust set..

Brilliant work on the Backfire-C, old horse! Nice start on that Backfire-A, but I do think it seems to be missing something. Is this the ekranoplan version without the wings?

Yours etc.,

Jason

I'm afraid it's had to form an orderly queue Rad...but like the 06.38 to Chalfont-St-Giles it'll get there....

Ah Marshal George knew you'd join the fray at some point...

it seems to be missing something. Is this the ekranoplan version without the wings?

Glad to see you're paying attention at the back.......I'll dig the wings and undercarriage chappie out and see if I can't fire orf a few shots at it.....

• Like 1

An inveterate fray-joiner, am I, oh your most Generalist! It will be nice to see you tuck into this one. The Backfire has always been a favourite of mine, back from the days when it was the world-ending bogeyman of (American) imagination. It has a prominent part in my latest literary masterpiece, soon to see the light of day (hopefully by the end of the year), SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION: 'Soviet Strategic Bombers: The Hammer in the Hammer and the Sickle'. Sure to be a best-seller in run-down book kiosks in the more disreputable sections of Plovdiv.

Remaining Ever Yours,

Marshal Zhukov (AKA Jason)

Edited by Learstang
An ever-so slight change, really just a trifle.

I shall look forward to picking up a Borzoi-eared copy at our local 'Pyat' and Kopeck' store.   'Hammered in the Hammer and the Sickle' eh, is this a local Plovdiv pub ? Nothing wrong with a spot of self-promotion old thing, why if you didn't do it who would, your publicist ? seriously, good luck with the tome, hope it sells well for you. 

Yes, the Backfire had an interesting history starting with the shenanigans over it's designation of Tu-22M. Minister of Defence Marshal Dmitri F Ustinov said jokingly on seeing the prototype for the first time ''I can see the M but where's the Tu-22 ?''  Andrei and his boys had to go to extraordinary lengths to pull the Russian wool over the Council of Ministers/Communist Party Central Committee's eyes, (and particularly the ICBM lobby fan club) but did so with characteristic aplomb. The M0 however had a somewhat shaky start (literally) with young Borisov the test pilot not being at all impressed with the flying characteristics finding it all but uncontrollable in pitch when the flaps and slats were retracted....and that was on it's maiden flight ! (though in fairness there was a spot of miscommunication between pilot and co-pilot Veremy who kept insisting, without informing Borisov on selecting 'flaps down' every time the pilot selected them up, leading to a lot of head scratching and a somewhat wild ride which ended in a successful flaps-up landing at 205 kts)......however things were soon ironed out and the rest as they say is history.

I shall put forward a request to the committee of aircraft production to move the M0 up the line and request the sub-committee Working Party, (Memsahib) fetch me a piping hot cup of Russian Caravan. 

• Like 1