72nd Sentry AEW.1

Hi all

It didn`t seem right, not posting this on Britmodeller, so here it is.

Heller`s 72nd scale AWACS finished as an RAF Sentry AEW.1 operated by 8Sqn and 23Sqn. PE from Flightpath and Eduard was used, along with True Details bulged resin wheel set and Model Alliance decals, as well as a bit of scratchbuilding. It was a bit of a monster at times and was due to be finished for the `Operations` GB over on ARC. I guess four months late is better than not at all. :) . The ARC and Britmodeller guys were very encouraging and this give me a second wind to get on and just do the job, I`m glad they did. :thumbsup:

1-8.jpg

10-2.jpg

14-1.jpg

12-1.jpg

16-1.jpg

8-3.jpg

I keep building models this big, I`m going to need a new house, this beastie has an impressive wingspan!!

Thanks to those that encouraged me when I was pulling my hair out over this, back to fast jets for a while me thinks.

Cheers, Ian :cheers:

• Like 1

Wow, excellent....Queen of the skies!!!

Spent 4 years on these beasties! Including many "happy" hours up in that smartie/badger/whatever you want to call it, lol (I'm scared of heights by the way!)

A truly amazing and accurate looking representation! :thumbsup2:

Oh, just noticed....for summer ops, the stripe should be east/west across the fuselage, for better asthetics (yes, really!) north/south, as u have it is winter config, as the ice melts quicker off the black, so it won't drop onto the fuselage this way.....

Edited by Devilfish

Who are all those little people down the front, and why has one of them fallen over?

Oh, just noticed....for summer ops, the stripe should be east/west across the fuselage, for better asthetics (yes, really!) north/south, as u have it is winter config, as the ice melts quicker off the black, so it won't drop onto the fuselage this way.....

What, seriously?

The kind comments are very much appreciated, there were times I thought this build would drive me to distraction.

I`m very pleased with the weathering, although I think I could have been a bit more bold with the rotodome as they are pretty beat-up looking after near constant service over the last few years. But after the shambles I had early on with the rotodome I`m happy with the way it is.

I never knew the rotodome was locked in different seasonal positions, very interesting. I`d studied parked pics to get it right and noticed that there were variations but didn`t know that there was a reason for this. I`ve learnt my new fact for the day, nice one. :speak_cool:

The boys in blue are the sprites who came out at night to mend the worst of my mistakes! :winkgrin:

Thanks again for the encouraging words, all the hair I tore out during the build seems worth it now.

Cheers all :cheers:

Ian

Build thread on ARC

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....195904&st=0