SR-71 kits

Col.

Always been tempted to add an SR-71 to the stash and got to wondering what kits are still available in any scale and how good - or not - they are?

A quick look on Hannants site shows 72nd scale ones from Academy, Revell and Hasegawa while Aviation Megastore has an Italeri job plus a Testors kit in 48th.

I built the Hasegawa 1/72 one years ago and it seemed ok at the time. Apart from being rather large and rather black there's not a lot to SR-71's modelling wise but they still look good! :D

Fair point Andy :lol: Even after all these years they still look like something out of a futuristic comic-book.

In 1/72 only, I've built the Monogram, Academy, and Italeri kit. Photos and apraisals at weekend.

Italeri offers the trainer SR71B version - which I built.

I've also got a Hasegawa Egg model on the bench.

Looking forward to this, roll on the weekend!

Can't imagine an aircraft less suited to a Hasegawa Eggplane kit though :rofl:

I have the Academy, Monogram/Revell versions, and the Italeri SR-71A/B. What i still don't have is photo's of the original Revell SR-71 with detachable nosecone and radar scanner plus good shot's of the Italeri YF-12A.

To avoid confuson, the most recent Revell issue is a re-box of the Monogram kit, so i've only shown the different boxes and decals below, the sprues are the same....

SR-71Monogram001.jpg

SR-71Monogram002.jpg

SR-71Monogram004.jpg

SR-71Monogram003.jpg

SR-71Italeri001-1.jpg

SR-71Italeri002-1.jpg

SR-71Italeri004-1.jpg

SR-71Italeri006-1.jpg

SR-71Italeri007-1.jpg

SR-71Italeri008-1.jpg

SR-71sAcademy001.jpg

SR-71sAcademy003.jpg

SR-71sAcademy002.jpg

And here they are built.

Monogram SR-71A model - this is raised detail:

Monogram_SR71A_Blackbird.jpg

Academy SR-71A model - recessed detail, which didn't work for me.

This model is unpainted. That panel line stuff is actually sanding debris trapped in the recesses.

Academy_SR71A_Blackbird.jpg

Italeri SR-71 model - raised detail. This kit offers the option of the trainer version, and has glazed camera ports in the belly.

It's only spoiled by separate front and rear in construction - which demands a highly visible join be treated, and can still result in a bent model:

Italeri_SR71Blackbird.jpg

Italeri_SR71B_Blackbird.jpg

My favourite is probably the Italeri. It requires a lot more care - but rewards the effort with a VERY nice model.

Apart from being rather large and rather black there's not a lot to SR-71's modelling wise but they still look good! :D

On the face of it yes. I've just finished reading an excellent book called 'Beyond the secret missions' which contains some excellent pictures showing how much variation there could be in the black colouring especially on some of the older machines. If you really fancied a challenge you could try re-producing the layer of dust on the Duxford one, maybe using the 'leave it on display and let nature take it's course' technique :P

Thoroughly recommend the book by the way, if only to realise what a potential death-trap the machine was. Also discovered that the first SR-71 I ever saw at Mildenhall was lost at sea off the coast of [i think] Thailand (after an unplanned and rather rapid descent) a few years later.

Steve.

if anyone's interested in the history of the Sr-71 (not much use for references unfortunately as not may pictures in it) a superb book is 'Skunk Works' by Ben Rich (Kelly Johnson's right hand man from the fifties right through to being head of the division in the nineties) - really well written and a cracking read for aircraft buffs - also tons of details about the U-2 and F-117.

There is also an 1/72nd scale SR-71 kit from China. Manufactured by Zhengdufu or however you spell it. This kit also includes the jet engines and the inlet spikes, a lot of unexpected details and quite inexpensive. The shape of the kit appears okay at first glance but some of the details are a bit think, as if they were using the Hasegawa kit as the original and then added a few things to it. Recommend you get the kit just for the engine details, the rest of it belongs in the recycle bin.

italeri1141reviewme_3.jpg

I have always wondered why Italeri modeled the AIM-47 Super Falcon missile shapes with the split fin section since the real missile had no such separation as was featured on the kit missiles. It appears that Italeri based this feature off of one image of the missile that had a black stripe in that same location and due to the quality of the image, made the presumption that there was a physical gap in the fin at that point. Revell got it right on their original YF-12A kit when it was released way back in the 70s.

Testor's had a SR in 1/48 a few years back, good luck finding one. The YF-12 by Zheng* looks like it might be an interesting build.

Testor's had a SR in 1/48 a few years back, good luck finding one.

How desparate are you? I have seen that kit here in the local hobbyshops on occasion. If you want one badly enough, arrangements can be made, but I must caution you, the postage alone will be horrible. Also keep in mind that the Italeri 1/48th scale SR-71 and YF-12 kits are just an enlarged (ie: pantographed) version of their 1/72nd scale SR-71 and YF-12 kits so you are going to be experiencing all of the problems associated with the smaller kit on a much larger scale. Not really much differenet from their C-130 kits. That two section fuselage with the joint at that critical juncture is still there, just so much larger so you have that much more sanding and putty to apply in order to make it right. Still it is a nice BIG kit when it is done.

On a side note, I attended the IPMS Nationals in Santa Clara, California a few years ago and there was a really nice SR-71 done up by one of the local to that area modelers. He had incorporated a few electronic bells and whistles into his build and had it portrayed in flight. For the engine exhaust, he used a pair of Mag-Lite reflectors (from the Mag-Lite brand AA battery flashlight) and when these were turned on, they made the exhaust cones glow a wonderful red color, it was very inspiring. Another feature that this fellow added to his SR-71 were small lenses from dead CD ROM readers which were placed in the camera optical ports on the underside of the fuselage, these glowed red when powered up and while they were not replicating an actual optical camera, they did add a "COOLNESS" factor of biblical proportions to his model. Either that or I was just easily impressed.

Testor's had a SR in 1/48 a few years back, good luck finding one. The YF-12 by Zheng* looks like it might be an interesting build.

Wandered into my LMS at lunch-time and, as I thought, they had one on the shelf for £22. Comes in a rather plain looking cardboard box with a picture of the built model on top. Other option on the shelf was the Italeri 72nd kit 'with drone' for £13.

Shame I'm pitifuly skint at the moment, a 48th SR-71 would be quite an impressive, not to say imposing, addition to any collection.

Wandered into my LMS at lunch-time and, as I thought, they had one on the shelf for £22. Comes in a rather plain looking cardboard box with a picture of the built model on top. Other option on the shelf was the Italeri 72nd kit 'with drone' for £13.

Shame I'm pitifuly skint at the moment, a 48th SR-71 would be quite an impressive, not to say imposing, addition to any collection.

Can i interest you in my Academy example ?

There is currently (as of this afternoon) a 1/48th scale Testor's (Italeri) SR-71 kit on the shelf at Skyway Model Shop. The price if I remember correctly was $30.00. If you are interested in purchasing this kit, feel free to contact the proprietor at [email protected] his name is Emil and he will be happy to sell you the kit as well as get it shipped to you in the UK. The cost of shipping to the UK would be about $25.00.