Wellington Mk.X, No. 311 Squadron RAF (Coastal Command)

Hello Friends!

I decided to build the Wellington Mk.X s/n HZ268 of 311 (Czechoslovak) sqn RAF. This Squadron was transferred from the Bomber Command to the Coastal Command in April 1942. This Wimpey was used by F/O Metoděj ebela, DFC and his crew. The most famous action of this crew was successful attack on the Italian blockade-runner Himalaya (6240 BRT) in April 10th, 1943 over the Bay of Biscay.

4356633719_a62fb85338_b.jpg

I've already finished the interiors. Especially I improved the front section of the fuselage. Hopefully this interior section will be finally seen (at least partially :)). The side windows and lower entrance will be open...

I used the following colors to the interiors:

Tamiya XF-68 (NATO Brown) - impregnated canvas fuselage cover

Tamiya XF-24 (Dark Grey) - front interior (pilots, bomb aimer)

Tamiya XF-52 (Flat Earth) - wooden floor and walls

Tamiya XF-69 (NATO Black) - seats, equipments, ammo boxes and other details

Humbrol 78 (Cockpit Green) - structure parts and other details

All the above colors are acrylic. The others interior details are painted various colors Vallejo, Revell Aqua and Humbrol Acryl. Finally, the Tensocrom weathering agents and the various oil colors thinned by MiG Thinner was used for the wash. I also utilized the Eduard PE color set for the interior (73301).

4414933444_95361c8a74_o.jpg

4414907274_9ac71acb95_o.jpg

Wellington%2029.jpg

Wellington%2031.jpg

Wellington%2033.jpg

Wellington%2034.jpg

Wellington%2037.jpg

Wellington%2038.jpg

Wellington%2039.jpg

Wellington%2042.jpg

Wellington%2044.jpg

Wellington%2046.jpg

Wellington%2048.jpg

Pavol

Edited by pavolSK

That's really nice work, I could never achieve that in 1/72..... or any other scale come to that! I bought the Part interior set for the Trumpeter Wellington 1c, but I simply can't do justice to it, so it's stayed in the box for now.

Have you done anything with the undercarriage and bays yet? It's the one area Trumpeter got quite wrong, but seeing you have the 4+ book, you will have the best available references for fixing this,

Cheers,

Bill

Have you done anything with the undercarriage and bays yet? It's the one area Trumpeter got quite wrong, but seeing you have the 4+ book, you will have the best available references for fixing this,

Cheers,

Bill

Absolutely stunning work, Pavol: well done.

At risk of derailing the thread, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's successfully tackled the Trumpeter undercarriage problem. It's the one major flaw in what's otherwise a very impressive kit- even out of the box.

Nick

Holy christ thats detailed, impressive work on that one buddy, but i think someone has mentioned that you wont see most it, which is a shame - but at least we all know whats hidden.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Bill

I have not started doing undercarriage yet. But I will try to make any necessary modifications. Hopefully, it will be possible...

The fuselage is closed already. I started the assembly of the bomb bay. It is built entirely of Eduard photoetched set 72473, but this completion was horrible and demanding precision. Mainly, the bomb shackles affixing to the finned structure of the bomb-bay was especially funny.

Pavol

Wellington%2049.jpg

Wellington%2050.jpg

Wellington%2051.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

here is my progress over the last month.

Actually, the airframe is airbrushed with Mr.Base White 1000 and then polished by Mr.Grinding cloth 3000. The camouflage airbrushing will follow quickly...

Wellington%2052.jpg

Wellington%2053.jpg

Wellington%2054.jpg

Wellington%2058.jpg

Wellington%2057.jpg

Wellington%2062.jpg

Wellington%2063.jpg

Wellington%2067.jpg

Wellington%2068.jpg

Wellington%2069.jpg

Pavol

Edited by pavolSK

Great work, the internal detail is jaw dropping.

Adrian, yes you're right! But photos remain! :) Anyway, the front part of the interior will be visible through the open door and side windows...

The camouflage is already applied. I used following colours:

White:

Gunze H21 (white off) as basic surface. This surface is lightly weathered with the mix of Tamiya XF2+XF19 (2:1) and with pure white XF2

Dark Slate Grey:

Tamiya XF62 as basic surface, plus high thinned Gunze H52, H302 and mix of XF62+H52 (1:1) for the weathering.

Extra Dark Sea Grey:

Gunze H333 as basic surface, plus high thinned Tamiya XF24, mix of XF8+XF18 (2:1) and mix of H333+XF24 (1:1) for the weathering.

Wellington%2072.jpg

Wellington%2073.jpg

Wellington%2074.jpg

Wellington%2075.jpg

Wellington%2076.jpg

Wellington%2079a.jpg

Wellington%2080a.jpg

Pavol

Edited by pavolSK