Monogram's 1/48 Mosquito

silverkite211

I have a couple of questions about an older issue (1973) Monogram Mosquito. The only version that can be built from it is the B Mk IV, correct? In spite of it having parts for a "Mk II Night Intruder", "Mk II Night Fighter" and "Mk VI Fighter-Bomber" those can't truly be made from this kit, due to the nacelles being incorrect for anything but an early Mosquito, correct? (Sort of a moot point anyway, I'm not a big fan of gun-nosed Mosquitos)

The markings for the B Mk IV version are for 105 Sqn and the code letters are white on the decal sheet, is that correct, or should they be Sky or maybe even grey?

Thanks in advance.

Ok I am going to get beat down by the Mosquito experts around here but as to the best of my knowledge the MK II, Mk IV and B IV and the recce version of the B IV all had the same nacelles. The later ones had a differing nacell design when later uprated Merlins were added - the Two Stage Mosquitos which other than the Airfix kit are unavailable in 48th other than as a conversion.

Now the PR I and very early B IVs had a short nacelle design where the back end of the nacelle did not go beyond the trailing edge of the wing.

The only outline problem I remember the Monogram kit having was that the fin was too tall, that and it is a 40 year old kit these days, and comes up short in details compared to the Airfix, Tamiya and now Revell Germany kits - though all have faults if one looks close enough.

HTH - at least until others chime in!

Matt

Ok I am going to get beat down by the Mosquito experts around here but as to the best of my knowledge the MK II, Mk IV and B IV and the recce version of the B IV all had the same nacelles. The later ones had a differing nacell design when later uprated Merlins were added - the Two Stage Mosquitos which other than the Airfix kit are unavailable in 48th other than as a conversion.

That is correct. However, the really early Mosquitos had short nacelles that didn't project beyond the trailing edge of the wing.

What that man said.

Treat the Monogram kit as a piece of nostalgia, if you want a bomber Mossie go with the Tamiya kit, I can see no reason to go with the Revell version.

I have a couple of questions about an older issue (1973) Monogram Mosquito. The only version that can be built from it is the B Mk IV, correct? In spite of it having parts for a "Mk II Night Intruder", "Mk II Night Fighter" and "Mk VI Fighter-Bomber" those can't truly be made from this kit, due to the nacelles being incorrect for anything but an early Mosquito, correct? (Sort of a moot point anyway, I'm not a big fan of gun-nosed Mosquitos)

The markings for the B Mk IV version are for 105 Sqn and the code letters are white on the decal sheet, is that correct, or should they be Sky or maybe even grey?

Thanks in advance.

Comments above quite correct. Codes for 105 Sqn should be Sky not white or grey, if you struggle for decals, give me an email at,

[email protected]

You can also do a PRIV, only modification being camera ports in fuselage. Also have decals for this, and plenty of photos.

Colin

Hey guys - shameless plug: you might want to check out the May edition of Model Aviation World because Vic Scheuerman has carried out a detailed build of this kit complete with historical notes showing that you can build it into an impressive looking model with a little TLC....

Just thought that I would mention it...

Spence - no doubt treading on thin ice! :whistle:

So Monogram got it right about the Mark II and FB VI, then? That's pretty interesting.

I didn't think that white codes were correct, however I wasn't entirely sure, I'll admit. I think I've got a sheet of Sky codes buried around here somewhere, I'll have to see if I can find them. I'll need to rustle up some roundels, too, those original ones have way too bright red centers.

You know, for a kit that was originally issued back in 1965, it's really not bad. The panel lines are very finely scribed (atypical for Monogram, then) and what few raised details there are are also very nicely done, like the panel lines of the Airacobra and Typhoon from the same period, for example. Sure the wheel wells are just open boxes and some detailing needs to be added to the inside of the fuselage, but for a nice, simple, relaxing build I think a person could do worse.