Entrant #1 In "The Worst Build of 2010"

Hello All

OK, this was going to be a good build, a Czech Mig 23 in a special scheme in flight, nice little decal sheet and straight forward kit. Until I started actually building it. Starting off with stuffing up the intake alignment, then cutting too deep into the wings to allow them to be added after the main build, then managing (somehow) to glue the ejector seat to the canopy with super glue (I have no idea how this happened, must be gifted I guess) and to cap off the start sticking my finger to the lower tailplane with ... you guessed it .... super glue. :deadhorse:

Fine, I figure it can only get better, so I go and cut the slot for the stand - on the upper fuselage, not the lower. Fill, sand, fill, sand, rescribe. Put the fuselage away, repair the wings, paint the wings, finally something goes right. Pop the decals on the wing, still good, gently start the usual buff up to gloss that has worked 100% of the time - until now. Find I have buffed off 1/3rd the paint and 1/2 the decals on the upper surfaces. OK, back to the damn fuselage, mask off intakes etc, spill a bottle of Gunze Mr Masking over the model, now looks like the Hulk in a blender. Pull it off, try to pull it off but it has sunk into the panel lines and any crevice, pull off the canopy and one intake with mask. Put model in bin, open bottle of scotch.

Pull model out of bin next day, mask with Tape only, spray grey. Works. Mask with Humbrol Maskol for flames. Spray red. Works. Mask with Humbrol Maskol for flames. Spray black. Crap, lumps. Strip off, respray black. Crap, runs. Strip off, respray black. Crap, grainy but I don't care. Demask all, sorry, tape lifts paint. Who cares, brush it out. Let it harden, slot in wings and glue them in. Leave it sit overnight and next day. Start in another kit, leave lamp on for a few hours while having lunch - crap, the lamps too close to the model, trailing edge of one wing now bent, twisted and melted, remaining decal on wing now crisped. :raincloud:

Grab spare decal box, whack on any old Czech roundels (yes, they are the wrong size and misaligned but I DONT CARE), let them half set and slop on a brush gloss coat, shove stand home and plonk on desktop. Once dried transfer to desktop for photo to show how bad it was. Knock coffee cup (full of course, what do you really expect) from "safe" position on overhead shelf, hit model knocking canopy, vertical tail, stabiliser and missiles off, breaking the stand. spill hot coffee on crotch and camera. Swear loudly, scare cat. :wall:

Wait 3 days

Repair. Take photos as follows.

This bugger is now going to be superglued permanently onto my modelling desk to remind me that no matter how bad any other build can be, it is nothing compared to this one.

2010__Mig_23_01.jpg

2010__Mig_23_02.jpg

Ciao

Mass

Edited by Modelling Mushi

but apart from all that ------ did you have fun building the model---- :shithappens:

Your middle name cant be lucky, and if you are traveling anyware by any means i feel it would be fair to warn any one near you, also dont go NEAR anything nuclear

Your perseverence is admirable but I have to say that when I stop enjoying a build, I stop building..... this can go one of two ways:-

1, Carefully pack everything in the box and put it away until such time as I might enjoy building it again. (preferable option)

2, The model goes (like yours) in the bin.....

This is where we appear to differ in outlook.

You removed your model from the bin and inflicted more pain on yourself.

I have however developed a bin with a very small opening in the lid. Its not REALLY big enough for a model aircraft to fit through but (being a dedicated sort like yourself) If I try really hard to get every bit through the hole I can usually do it. This way I will never be tempted to remove a model from the bin. once its in there its staying in there. The bottle of scotch will then helps me forget.

By the way I think that your MiG looks fine

Sincerely

Richard McC

Fair play - you finished it.. mine would have been in orbit waaay before that :) Could have ended up as a scale model of a gunnery target I suppose .. :)

I just hope you have better luck if you get/have a 1/24 Mosquito :thumbsup2:

You get the 2010 award for Perseverence :)

That was a great read of misfortune!

Trying to put a golden edge on the big, black cloud, you probably entertained your fellow Britmodellers a great deal more than if you'd just posted pics of a nice looking model.

In fact, when I f**k up (which happens too often for comfort) I try to console myself that, at least, I have a story to tell.

Like when I was snorkelling off Lombok with my brand new u/w housing and likewise brand new camera and after two minutes find that I forgot to close a valve and the camera is knee high (cameras have knees?) in seawater…

Or when I was modelling a few years back, trimming something with my trusty Swann-Morton #3 while thinking – actually! – that in all these years of using a scalpel, I've never really cut myself. In the very next moment, I accidentally drop the scalpel and, like an idiot, push my legs together to catch it in my lap.

No, not quite as bad as it could've been (I'm not a soprano yet) but when I looked down, I saw the scalpel embedded to the hilt in my right calf, sticking out of the denim like an Indian arrow.

So, all told, my sincerest congrats to Mass for actually, in the end, finishing the model to quite acceptable standards. Gold medal for tenacity!

Best,

Joachim

Edited by Spitfire31

I just hope you have better luck if you get/have a 1/24 Mosquito :thumbsup2:

You get the 2010 award for Perseverence :)

Mmm.. my 1/24 mossie issues so far...

* Many self inflicted breaks of the really finely moulded engine supports, undercarriage stays and Merlin pipework

* Abject refusal of CA to anchor my aftermarket seat belts.

* Painting the wrong version of the instrument panel.

* Paint not binding to certain deeply mopulded parts (I know, I know... I should have washed them).

* Experimenting with Tippex to fill ejector pin marks and leaving a surface like a ploughed field.

* Experimenting with Mr Model metallizers (I tried the technique espoused elsewhere involving a dry-ish brush and lots of rubbing. Options for the final finish ended up as either another ploughed field, or the metallizer polished away to nothing.)

* A warped fuselage (Finally... not my fault!)

* Not painting an only just visible part of the wheel wells.

* Snapping the piece that locks the elevators together.

And I've yet to get started on the weaponry. This one could run and run...

Mike

Hello All

OK, this was going to be a good build, a Czech Mig 23 in a special scheme in flight, nice little decal sheet and straight forward kit. Until I started actually building it. Starting off with stuffing up the intake alignment, then cutting too deep into the wings to allow them to be added after the main build, then managing (somehow) to glue the ejector seat to the canopy with super glue (I have no idea how this happened, must be gifted I guess) and to cap off the start sticking my finger to the lower tailplane with ... you guessed it .... super glue. :deadhorse:

Fine, I figure it can only get better, so I go and cut the slot for the stand - on the upper fuselage, not the lower. Fill, sand, fill, sand, rescribe. Put the fuselage away, repair the wings, paint the wings, finally something goes right. Pop the decals on the wing, still good, gently start the usual buff up to gloss that has worked 100% of the time - until now. Find I have buffed off 1/3rd the paint and 1/2 the decals on the upper surfaces. OK, back to the damn fuselage, mask off intakes etc, spill a bottle of Gunze Mr Masking over the model, now looks like the Hulk in a blender. Pull it off, try to pull it off but it has sunk into the panel lines and any crevice, pull off the canopy and one intake with mask. Put model in bin, open bottle of scotch.

Pull model out of bin next day, mask with Tape only, spray grey. Works. Mask with Humbrol Maskol for flames. Spray red. Works. Mask with Humbrol Maskol for flames. Spray black. Crap, lumps. Strip off, respray black. Crap, runs. Strip off, respray black. Crap, grainy but I don't care. Demask all, sorry, tape lifts paint. Who cares, brush it out. Let it harden, slot in wings and glue them in. Leave it sit overnight and next day. Start in another kit, leave lamp on for a few hours while having lunch - crap, the lamps too close to the model, trailing edge of one wing now bent, twisted and melted, remaining decal on wing now crisped. :raincloud:

Grab spare decal box, whack on any old Czech roundels (yes, they are the wrong size and misaligned but I DONT CARE), let them half set and slop on a brush gloss coat, shove stand home and plonk on desktop. Once dried transfer to desktop for photo to show how bad it was. Knock coffee cup (full of course, what do you really expect) from "safe" position on overhead shelf, hit model knocking canopy, vertical tail, stabiliser and missiles off, breaking the stand. spill hot coffee on crotch and camera. Swear loudly, scare cat.

:rofl:

Well told - made me chuckle. Glad I'm not alone!

Model didn't turn out too bad!

Hi Saffie,

How long do you think you will need to go into rehab???? :shithappens: (I was in rehab for 6 months after my Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk.IX build and that was rescued from the bin 3 times).

Never mind, you got there in the end and if it's of any consolation it's a story for the grand kids (either now or later in life if/when you have any)

Doug.

Just thank the holy virgin that you never attempted to put it on its landing gear lol lol lol lol

In fact I would be happy to rid you of that 1/72 landing gear by tossing it in a box and posting it over Andrew? I have a sad looking MiG 23 that went paralympic in a similar fashion as you describe here...after twenty years I would be willing to try to get it back in good order.. It's already been in the bluewonder bath.....

cheers.

PS are you sure you want to build that Mig 27 after all of this??

is there ANYONE who ever builds ANYTHING that just works right? just glue it. mask it, paint it and the parts have fitted correctly, the paint hasn't run or crept under the tape, the markings have not broken up or bits gone missing? I spend more time fixing cock-ups than actually 'making' the model, if you know what I mean. I'm glad, but sorry, I'm not alone. keep up the good (?) work! great story

is there ANYONE who ever builds ANYTHING that just works right? just glue it. mask it, paint it and the parts have fitted correctly, the paint hasn't run or crept under the tape, the markings have not broken up or bits gone missing? I spend more time fixing cock-ups than actually 'making' the model, if you know what I mean. I'm glad, but sorry, I'm not alone. keep up the good (?) work! great story

no you are not alone,I have learnt many a new swear word doing this"hobby"

I know why I am bald now

• 2 weeks later...

4485611999_05049bd093_b.jpg

Andrews horrifying project will give a new lease of life to my 25 year old MiG 23 modelkit that has gone paralympic over the years. He kindly donated his landing gear to me and at arrived today all the way from Townsville Australia in The Netherlands :analintruder:

I'll strip the kit to the bones, blue wonder it, and rebuild thanks to Andy's donation. I'll keep you guys posted.