Airfix 1/72 Bf109G-6

There's never enough Finnish 109.

:)

Totally agree Antoine, I will only ever build a 109 in Finnish markings! Have this kit in the stash and considered building it for the GB but don't want to double up with other's builds. God knows there are enough different Finnish aircraft to go around for all of us!

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out Andrew.

So when do you start on the PR-9, Lancaster and Dauphin? Yes I sold them to you :D

Edited by TrojanThunder

Haven't built my Airfix 109G-6 yet so looking forwrd to this WIP.

In the modellers datafile I have on the 109, the aircraft depicted by Airfix for the Finns (MT-422) didn't have the 'bat' motif with the sharks mouth.

Apparently the pilot, SSgt. Bjore Hielm went on to found IPMS Finland. He had the sharks mouth painted on in Feb 1948 but was forced to remove it by the base commander a month later.

Deacon

Edited by Deacon

Ive got this one in the stash for my 109 collection, so Im looking forwards to seeing how this one goes together :thumbsup2:

Bexy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all

Have made some progress on this one, have just tonight finished bringing the fuselage and wings together, so it looks like a 109. No pics however.

Impressions this far are mixed. The upper to lower wing surface join is good, it looks a bit weird at first when you look for the join line, but it is neat as it follows panel lines underneath and, unlike others, avoids leaving a seam along the middle of the leading edge by following a panel line under the slat position. Same can be said (to a degree) on the fuselage as the tailplane halves are not fully split vertically but have one half stop short of the rudder and the other carry the whole structure. Seems to work. Weapons options are OK too, you get rockets, a single bomb (SC250??), MG/cannons and a drop tank. Having a retracted u/c option is a big plus for me, I like the odd in flight model and you'd be surprised how many u/c doors do not fit as advertised! It also has a pilot figure and two canopy options.

On the minus side the drop tank looks misshapen, but I'm no Luftwaffe experten so it could just be me. The wheel wells lack detail and the integrally moulded wheel covers and oleos is a big compromise. The pilot figure is a more modern type with hard hat; this may be right for the Ilmavoimat late in the 109s life (perhaps, I don't know) but for the other two options it is not correct. Cockpit detail is non existent but, of more import, the seat sits too low in the cockpit and the armoured headrest does not sit right. You can aslo see a yawning gap behind the seat into the fuselage behind the seat, however the over-thick canopy may hide this. Even more worrisome, when I tried to join the fuselage tot he wings, the gap in the wings was smaller than the space between the wing roots in the fuselage, I had to flex the wing halves down to let the fuselage fit. When I build my next one I will attach the upper wing halves to the fuselage first to avoid this, although that will be a bit dicey.

Overall, I paid the princely sum of A$12.00 for this kit and I feel it is still a good buy, particularly if the decals go on well. Still enjoying the build, it has taken about 3 hours to get it to this point, I'll post extra pics when I get the undercoat on.

Ciao

Mass

Edited by Modelling Mushi

• 1 month later...

Model now finished, pics on completed thread to come. Not a fun build in the end, decal silvered a fair bit and one of the overwing roundels broke apart. The sharkmouth does not fit either. Anyway, done now and dusted. Someone with more patience would be able to make a better fist of it than I, however I'd go to another manufacturer for a 1/72 scale comp entrant.