F60 (Tamiya 1:20)

daft_biker

I kept seeing this rather pricey kit in Wonderland but finally decided to give it a go.

4434898616_b74e42c0e3_o.jpg

The parts are lovely so am looking forward to this one. Just trying to get the red paint mixed and fill a seam down the nose cone at the moment.

Good luck!

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Cheers :cheers:

Progress report: Still sanding and trying to get the paint right. Much of this one seems to be paint loads of bits red, paint loads of other bits black and paint a few bits silver then put it together. There's a couple of interesting bits like the steering wheel and engine that will hopefully take a bit more doing though.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so it turned out there is quite a lot more to this one than I first thought! I eventually got the paints for the red on the outside sorted - the blurb says it's red that has a metallic sheen in strong light so I set about trying to recreate that by mixing some Tamiya red with titanium silver for the base coat (was a kind of pink with a hint of purple metalic red) and then spraying some well thinned red with a hint of clear over the top. It seems to have turned out pretty well...looks red but looks a bit metallic red in strong light. I'll need to try and get some decent pics to show it in brighter light but I'll worry about that when I've got more of it together.

Lots of the bits I painted red needed painted black on the underside so I've just been doing that by brush rather than making a mess of the red with masking tape again. I did do some masking on the floorpan and that turned out fine so hopefully am getting over that problem.

Anyway, some pics....

4490447681_4c4fa63733_o.jpg

4491090058_122a56bdab_o.jpg

Most of the bits were just sitting in place for a test fit but one thing that has stood out to me on this build is just how compact the engine is. Seems rather small for such an impressive and important component but no doubt well suited to it's purpose.

4490448009_6b5496658f_o.jpg

It was just the cockpit really that was done...

4491090426_42c7567043_o.jpg

Just putting the rear suspension together before fitting the engine on. Lots of tricky bits to come with painting, trying to get the rear wing together and then all the little fiddly bits of wings that get stuck on. And there's a stainless steel aerial I need to cut and get glue for.....and the tyres to paint with a stencil which I've never done before....

Rather enjoying this one :)

I like the way this one is coming together.

Re: the compact engine, I have seen it suggested (possibly on F1M.com) that the engine may actually be underscale, but no-one seems to have a definite answer. These modern F1 V8s are very small, and by the time you've added all the rads and plumbing etc, you'll never notice!

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Very nice so far. I didn't know about the slight metallic hue of the red paint. Would that be specific to the F60 or would other variants have it. I agree with you guys about the size of the engine, it does look too small but once all the accessories are added on it should look fine. It'll be interesting to see if Fujimi does the F60 kit as well and how its drivetrain looks.

I didn't know about the slight metallic hue of the red paint. Would that be specific to the F60 or would other variants have it.

You can probably tell I'm still new to this as I'm still reading the instructions in the kits.....

"The 2009 F60 features a specifically formulated red which appears metallic when under strong lighting."

Apparantly the red Ferrari uses moves with the times so there's probably loads of different variants for loads of different cars. I've just been painting them red up until now :rolleyes:

It says to use Tamiya TS-85 Bright Mica Red but I don't have any of that and the shop says the TS paints were discontinued (in the UK?) a few years ago so I made up the paint. My first time mixing paints :)

Hadn't thought about the engine being out of scale but as I plan on sticking the body work on it won't be seen anyway. So long as I can get the exhasts poking out the right place I'll work for me. Am still trying to paint and build it all neatly even although it won't be seen.....as you do..... :cheers: