Hasegawa 1/24 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa

gcn

After the disaster of my GTO I thought I'd have another go with the Hasegawa Testa Rossa. It was the car I planned to do originally but the cost was higher than the GTO so economics won.

Saw it for £20 at model hobbies so I took the plunge, plus i'd already bought the red paint anyway.

P1000108.jpg

The kit is much better than the Revell 250 with much crisper moulding and the fit is excellent too

Engine is now complete and the Red went on like a dream. I've used the Hiroboy pre mixed stuff so I might invest in some Aircraft colours if the red is anything to go by. I didn't strip the chrome and re do as the pipes ? are so small

P1000105.jpg

P1000103.jpg

P1000096.jpg

P1000095.jpg

I'm ahead of this stage with the sub frame assembled and painted so I plan to get this one done pretty quickly

engine installed along with the super structure.

Seats were primed then preshaded with a thinned XF1 and then a final coat of Hiroboy Red. They have quite a nice leather look without the need for any further meddling. The instructions call for a white stitching but I'm of a mind not to do that as I could cause more problems than I solve.

P1000126.jpg

P1000125.jpg

P1000123.jpg

P1000121.jpg

P1000120.jpg

P1000119.jpg

Bodywork has been primed with Alclad grey primer rubbed down with an old T-shirt, next coat has also gone on which is Mr Base White, not convinced with this paint I think i'm just as well off with good old tamiya XF2. It now needs a rub down to smooth out and remove the dust then I give it a couple of days before the Red goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

Right got this one finished in pretty quick time.

Unfortunately I have orange peel that shows up rather more in the photos. Well 1 photo i'll post more when I get some daylight

P1000145.jpg

I decided to show the engine permanently on show and propped the bonnet with a length of stretched sprue. The wheels were given a quick blast of matt to tone down their toy like nature. The carpet monster gained a piece of the exhaust so the pipe was attched to a piece of sprue shaped accordingly

That looks great! It really is a beautiful car, and you've done it justice, in spades. Red and black really suits it, especially with the bonnet open, whichever red and black scheme you choose... I'd like to see the white ones built, but somehow it wouldn't be the same. I'd also love to know how the bonnet is meant to fit - I suspect that they threw it to one side if they had to open it!

My only suggestion would be to take a sharp pencil or fine point grey pen along the door gaps - it looks slightly odd to have well defined "panel lines" near the doors, but not the actual gaps around the door. I know the engraving's a bit weak, and I think highlighting them a bit would be an easy but noticeable enhancement...

Well, done, partner in crime!

all the best,

M.

That looks great, a lovely model of a beautiful car. I wouldn't worry too much about any orange peel, these were racing machines, and the real things weren't painted with overmuch care!

Obi-Jiff :fish:

Thanks guys for the comments.

Regarding the panel lines I did notice they had done the same thing with the model on the box and I was tempted to put a thinned wash of acrylic black inthe lines but a combination of forgetting and not wanting to cock up meant they didn't get done. I think I will do it though.

I have to say for my first car I really enjoyed doing it and it certainly won't be the last. No fuselage seams to deal with was a joy.

Managed to get some decent shots, well for me anyway, today in the outdoors.

P1000183.jpg

P1000174.jpg

P1000169.jpg

P1000168.jpg

I've put them in the gallery as well. Now on to the next GB. Armour , WWI, Finnish I've started something for all.

Edited by gcn

Looks very nice in all over red as well. You got your paint smoother than mine, too! One small quibble, for the next one - if the wheels are pointing straight fore and aft, then the spokes of the steering wheel should be a T, with the middle one at 6 o clock, and your "cavallino rampante" in the middle should be standing on it, with his head at 12 o clock...

Perhaps you could find a second-hand 1918 Vickers light tank in Finnish markings and cover all your GB bases in one go!

I warn you, this car building lark is addictive. I've not touched a plane in several months, despite that fact that I have several I _should_ be getting on with!

bestest,

M.