Gütersloh Spotters Website

pirx

Superb site, and some rare Harriers lurking there!!

On the opening "what's new" page there's a fantastic photo of IV Sqns XZ993/"M" - with that "blunted Phimat pod" - did anyone find out what it was?

Also I'd assume its a ground display thing - practise LGB's with non-flying 1000 lbers by the look of it

• 4 years later...

Hi,

Has anyone also seen this? My daily visit to this very handy resource (of all things Harrier especially) was today greeted with these words:

"We moved

Documentation of Gütersloh Airfield History will now be done by Verein zur Dokumentation der Geschichte des Flugplatz Gütersloh e.V.. You can reach the new website via vdlgt.de."

I went to the site and found no pics and nothing resembling the former picture database. :owww:

Let's hope it'll return soon in some way..!

Edited by Mountain goat

Willkommen pirx

I used to fly in (VC-10 C.Mk1) to Gut. every 6 weeks from Decci, Sardinia back in the 80's. Sometimes I used to stay in Sundern. Great memories.

One of the URLs used by the former site, guetersloh-spotters.de, is now used by a bird spotting group. Also their Flickr account is gone (unless I've missed it during searching).

Shame about that! Even airliners dot net couldn't compare with the wealth of documentation this site had to offer. It gave not only a fairly comprehensive impression of RAFG materiel in the Cold War, but of several other NATO air forces as well.

• 3 years later...

Good old Gutters,,,,,, Malcolm , 47 and Fluggies clubs.... CASEVAC flights very Wednesday Brize , Bruggen , Wilders (10 minute flight) , Gutt and Decimomannu , Sardinia in to USAF Aggressors , Italian Air Force ,German  and NAAFI bars then overnight at Cagliari Hotel and return . Cases of Herforder Pils at Wilders for post inflight entertainment . Can't believe that actually happened .

• 2 years later...

Can anyone tell me how to contact the people behind this former website please. The website still exists but is completely empty apparently. I already contacted the admin at piwi address on the redirect page but have had no reply.

Jay

• 11 months later...

I too would like to track down this website again. My dad was at Gut in the 50s and I gave the site some pix of Meteors, which they put up. Shame the whole site has disappeared - it had great photos of pretty much the whole RAF inventory over the BAFO/2TAF/RAFG decades.

Justin

• 2 weeks later...

It's a pity I didn't have a camera as a teenager - was there from '77 to '80 with the family. My old man was with 4sqn RIC and I used to spend every holiday and whenever else I could at the bunker on "Handbrake Hill" with my bino's, perfecting my recognition skills (which was between 18 sqn hangar and the runway - perfect location and absolute paradise for a young planespotter). Often used to 'share' the hill with the rock apes, who used to set up a Rapier detachment on it now and then. Very friendly bunch of chaps, but some were a bit rusty on their recognition!

PS - there is an FB page for RAF Güt, with some photo's on it, too, from various eras.

https://www.facebook.com/Rafgutetsloh/

Good ere, innit?

(Gütersloh saying - the response to which was "Could be better, coudn't it")

Edited by BrixMis
PS