Airfix Starter Kits GB

This GB is starting to grow and grow and I haven't even bought a kit yet. :frantic:

Mind you.I haven't seen that many "starter kits" here in the LHS. Maybe a thing that's more popular in the UK ?

OK, I'm in, with (at least) the third one of these.

Whirlwind_Box.jpg

Also - my partner's daughter (age 11) quite fancies doing this - would that be OK? She's looking at the P-51 Mustang set, to be bought next weekend with her pocket money :)

Edited by Milo Black

Also - my partner's daughter (age 11) quite fancies doing this - would that be OK? She's looking at the P-51 Mustang set, to be bought next weekend with her pocket money :)

I don't think anyone would have an issue with that Milo... you never know, you might end up turning her into a modeller! ;) If you post up her work with yours it'll be good to see & fun for her :)

My 13 year old daughter might be having a go too, if I can get her to decide which one she wants!!!

I am starting to get worried, why did i pick a kit with only 4 paint colours, everyone else seems to have six....not fair

Don't worry, I only have 4 paints with my Zero, but it seems to be sufficient!

I'm actually tempted to do the FW-190 too, as it's another subject I'm not familiar with, but do like, and would be interesting to see it I can do the "mottled" camoflage with a brush...

OK, she's decided......MGB

Edited by Devilfish

Well in for a penny...

Picked this up today, having recently built the Airfix Red Arrows Hawk I thought it would be a nice compliment however I was shocked at how basic it really is, and how poor the kit is.

You have opened the box!

Is that allowed?

you never know, you might end up turning her into a modeller! ;)

Heh... she's already done (unaided) a Yak-9 and a Thunderbolt, both from starter sets (and both with the wheels on back to front ;) ), has an Apollo CM/LM set and a Saab Drakken in progress... couple of kits in her stash.... Airfix Club membership... so the damage might already be done :) She just enjoys bashing them together, gluey fingermarks and all... much as I did when I was her age. I blame That James May, personally......

Aww...com'on Paul - fingers should be holding it together.

So, no masking tape to be used for painting - all to be done free hand?

Al

Al you can utilise any off the allowable tools to your benefit :winkgrin:

Paul

Must admit I've seen a few kits, like my Vulcan, that come with the paints/glue/hairstick, but I would assume that seeing as the starter sets have "starter set" written on them...... :whistle:
Of course you can use this kit as long as you only use what is provided

So I take it that my Tomcat is allowed then, yes? (Just trying to add a little variety, subject wise).

Out of interest, would this be eligible for the GB?.

1-2.jpg

This is shaping up to be a very popular groupbuild, innit.

So I take it that my Tomcat is allowed then, yes? (Just trying to add a little variety, subject wise).

This is shaping up to be a very popular groupbuild, innit.

The Tomcat is allowed yes.

And hopefully will be a very enjoyable month of building :analintruder:

Fraxinus got me into looking at this and as a result I joined the site the other week. I haven't built a model plane for ages but was in Hamley's last week and picked up the Westland Whirlwind: a plane, I confess, that I had forgotten even existed. I hope it's OK to go with that.

The challenge for me in this will be in using acrylic paints as I still paint everything using enamels!

Fraxinus got me into looking at this and as a result I joined the site the other week. I haven't built a model plane for ages but was in Hamley's last week and picked up the Westland Whirlwind: a plane, I confess, that I had forgotten even existed. I hope it's OK to go with that.

The challenge for me in this will be in using acrylic paints as I still paint everything using enamels!

Hi LH thought no one would respond to my challenge on 'Victory V'!!! glad you've joined. I am surrounded by partial builds especially on the aircraft front so determined to enter this group build with a completed starter kit! Whirlwind a good choice & probably the best & most unique model in the starter kit range....my AW Seahawk is poised awaiting 2nd April...I know what you mean about enamels usually my chosen paint for aircraft although have used Xtracrylix from Hannants. Good luck with the starter kit bash & we will have to keep our wargaming blogging friends updated with our progress!!