Airfix Starter Kits GB

Runs: 2nd April 2010 to 1st May 2010

Hosts: Paul Brickles and Plastic Bonsai

I'm in and declare AW Seahawk at the ready!!....those paints are tiddly! After some kind assistance from experienced forum people ...I give you.....the Seahawk starter set in Yeovilton 1996 Historic flight markings of 806 Naval Air Squadron!!!

starterkit3jpg.jpg

Edited by fraxinus

Due to several factors, I'm afraid i am going to have to pull out of this. Sorry Guys!

That's a shame. If you can pitch in later I am sure that will be OK. We're hoping that we can have some quick build contributions.

also I meant to mention I wont be able to show photo's of any handywork as....I appear to be a complete IT idiot ....how the blazes do you upload pictures on this forum or onto your signature?? was going to display the seahawk starter kit box art ?? I've reduced it in size etc tried opening photobucket a/c pink banner saying not allowed etc all to no avail and no instructions on here....I am only geeky about plastic kits not PC's so anyone who can help in laymans terms please message me...ta!

Erm it's a little bit of a struggle but I've not had much practice. There is a post at the bottom of the General Discussions/FAQ section about how to do this. If you prefer I could post the images on your behalf. PM me if you wish to follow this course.

That's a shame. If you can pitch in later I am sure that will be OK. We're hoping that we can have some quick build contributions.

Erm it's a little bit of a struggle but I've not had much practice. There is a post at the bottom of the General Discussions/FAQ section about how to do this. If you prefer I could post the images on your behalf. PM me if you wish to follow this course.

thanks had excellent response to plea for help! I was still in blogging mode where code doesn't get pasted onto the article ...its simple now I know 'how to' Thanks to all who helped

I'm in with a Hawk, and a big thank you to Davec_24 for providing me with the missing paints, glue & brushes. :thumbsup:

I might be a week late starting though due to circumstances beyond my control ;)

I've got a Harrier ready to go:

Harrier1TheBox.jpg

There really doesn't appear to be a lot of paint in those little pots...

:hmmm:

I'm doing this one and it's the same thing that bothered me. Whats the ruling on additional paint?

Nick

I'm doing this one and it's the same thing that bothered me. Whats the ruling on additional paint?

Nick

I'm happy enough to abide by the "spirit of the build" as I perceive it, and attempt to complete the kit using only the paints supplied.

Is it workable though, if we do actually find ourselves running out of paint during the course of the build, to show some some photographs of how far we've got with the kit paints, and then clarify what we've had to add to finish?

David

I will just reiterate the rules :)

Tools:

Modelling knife.

Small file or sanding block.

Tweezers.

Scissor.

Other:

The brush, paint and glue coming with the kit or recommended in the instructions.IF you do run out of paint (how many coats!!) you can of course add the same paint from the range.

Tape or rubber bands to hold parts together.

And NO:

After market parts or decals.

Decal sol / set.

Future polish.

Airbrush / spray paint.

Primer.

Matt / Gloss clear unless stated in the instructions.

Weathering done with specialized products.

Weathering is OK if it can be done with the paints supplied in the kit.

Just remember guys this is a fun build and if you do cheat you will only be cheating yourselves :angrysoapbox.sml::D

Dunno what the ruling is - but my partner's kids have made a few of these, and it seems to go further than you think - certainly OK for 2 coats on a small model, so the Harrier should be OK, I would think. However - I did start my "born-again" modelling with a 1/72 Vulcan gift set - which is a slightly different prospect :)

I'm in with an Airfix 1:72 Hawk, the kit being at Dan's house (Dads203), the paints on their way from Davec_24 (thanks again), along with the glue and paint brushes. The instructions are now recycled (how hard can it be?), and the decals are in an unknown location. Hopefully Dave is sending me some leftovers that should allow me to decal it up, but we shall see :)

It's a bit of a lash-up, but it's better to take part with what I have than not take part at all :)

It's a bit of a lash-up, but it's better to take part with what I have than not take part at all :)

Or you could have bought a new one !! :analintruder: good to have you along for the ride.

I suppose as the instigator of this I had better have a look at what I can get on with :D

Paul

I'm stuck in a rut and need somwthing simple to pull me out! I'd like to jump in but don't know what with, I shall have a browse through the evilbay and see whats going cheap

Cheers now

Bob

Hi Guys and Girls, I have been following builds on here since Christmas and think this Starter kit build would be a great place to brush off some cobwebs and get the modelling gear out again. So if you have room for a small car or two (I have a load of aircraft in the stash and no one seems to have gone for a car yet) I'll see if the local model shop has the MG, TVR or Aston in stock for when the build starts. Hopefully after this I can start picking all your brains for useful tips and tricks to make my out of the box models look a lot better maybe even dabble with that aftermarket add ons.

Looking forward to it already

Graham

Hi Guys and Girls, I have been following builds on here since Christmas and think this Starter kit build would be a great place to brush off some cobwebs and get the modelling gear out again. So if you have room for a small car or two (I have a load of aircraft in the stash and no one seems to have gone for a car yet) I'll see if the local model shop has the MG, TVR or Aston in stock for when the build starts. Hopefully after this I can start picking all your brains for useful tips and tricks to make my out of the box models look a lot better maybe even dabble with that aftermarket add ons.

Looking forward to it already

Graham

Welcome Graham and Old Peculiar (Masham's finest)

We seem to be attracting fresh blood and drawing in lurkers with this group build. Some of the builds on this forum are terrifyingly awesome so as a first GB (mine too) or a cure for AMS it's not a bad place to start. A car will make a nice change and I don't think anyone has pitched in with a ship yet - great bathtime toys.