Is this overkill?

Avgas

I don't know,

BTW some peeps I know use the CO2 bottles that pubs use for beer barrels, lasts a several months between charges, contain no moisture and are totally silent. :)

I don't know,

BTW some peeps I know use the CO2 bottles that pubs use for beer barrels, lasts a several months between charges, contain no moisture and are totally silent. :)

Thanks for the tip, Tony. I've been wondering about other less expensive ways to airbrush.

Looks like the sort of thing you'd run air tools or small spray guns from pretty noisy wile running, having said that an airbrush would run for ages once the tank is full. also bare in mind it's also pretty big. Probably better to find a dedicated airbrush compressor likely to be cheaper and a hell of a lot quieter and you could use it indoors instead having to keep it in the garage.

Nick

Edited by Fisk
  • Like 1

I used to have one those Tiger compressors, a touch noisy but I used it in the old workshop down the end of the garden and it was a brilliant bit of kit, totally relaible, I think I only did one oil change in ten years.

The only thing that did for it was the casing cracked due to corrosion from the damp. If noise isn't an issue, go for it, they are brilliant.

Are these bigger compressors any good for our hobby? I'm wondering about noise in particular. Anybody use one?

I've got a 24L one made by Wolf..it was about £90. Bought it from Screwfix about 8 years ago. It makes a racket for the 2-3 minutes it takes to fill but then you're done and you've got enough air to last a good long session. It lives under the spray booth in the spare room and has never given me any trouble. I prefer them over the piddly little hobby compressers because you can use them for other things... such as blowing up car tyres :)

See denstores post here ref bottles and ask him :)

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry112753

but this will help, you will need a regulator head though for it

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.p...hl=co2+cylinder

Cheers Tony - after reading all the precautions needed I'm not sure I'm ready to trust myself with co2 bottles yet.

Thanks everyone for your input :)

Can I just add to the CO2 debate, as an ex Licensee I have used the bottles for some time to great effect, but care must be taken in their use.

1. 1.they are a pressurised container and your airbrush must be used through a regulator/reducing valve.
    2.as with any of these bottles, they must be secured (ie chained) to a wall.
    3.NEVER use laid on its side.
    4.As CO2 displaces oxygen, if their is a leak, you must ventilate the area & get out. In a confined space, and especally a cellar (co2 heavier than air) it can be fatal.

stay safe, Regards Ian

EDIT. sorry I appear to have repeated what has been said in the link............but I supose you can never repeat safety too often

Edited by Rallychef

• 10 months later...

I have one I bought from halfords ,but it only has a 6L tank.

I got fed up with the noise and rigged a fridge comp to run using the tank and electrics.

Totally silent and the fridge comp was free from a repair shop that scrapped white goods.

If you dont ask, you dont get!

Whatever compressor you end up getting just make sure it has a good regulator and a moisture trap and most importantly can operate at low pressure. Spray painting a model is usually done (depending on paint and desired finish) between 12 - 20 psi and a lot of these garage compressors are not that gentle.

Also with the moisture trap I have two, one fitted to the compressor and the other fitted to my AB, it does make a lot of difference.

Cheers

hi my mate has one of these in his loft the noise it makes well i can hear it in the road good job his neighbour is deaf ex royal artillery i use a revell omega had for 14 years i can spray when i want due to no noise at all

simon

• 5 years later...

I've had one of the Clark compressors from machine mart for 15 years and has just developed a little fault but for the price I am going to get another if the fault cant be fixed. But be aware they are LOUD, I get away with it as I do my modelling in a shed but even so I,m going to try and sound proof it a bit. You need to allow for a moister trap as it doesn't come with one, allthough MM sell them as well. The 24L tank is great and lasts for a decent time before the motor cuts in again, though you can turn the motor switch to off so you can manually turn it on when you need.

I had a dentist's compressor, had a small tank and the combo was covered by a steel insulated dome silent running (unless it touched something and vibrated) so I rigged a propane bottle ,completely emptied of the remnants of gas I might add, took a couple of days to do but the best set up I've ever had. Paid £100 for it in 92. I gave it away when I moved to Spain. To say I wish I hadn't is an under statement.

Health and Safety..

To empty the dregs of gas I lay it on it's side and tipped it a little with a block of wood on the airfield at Abingdon outside F Shed no where near anything to set it off ! Then purged the bottle with hangar air with and airline stuck inside. I wouldn't try it with a sizeable gas content though because it will be a gas leak, H&S alert !

Dentist's kit is almost silent, they change them from time to time, its worth 'phoning around to see if they are about to just that or have any stored somewhere.. That's what I did anyway.

• Like 1