Info needed on Finnish AF SAAB Safir

ReccePhreak

Does anybody have any photos or drawings of the SAAB Safir in the Finnish AF, which carried a reconnaissance camera in the fuselage? I found this statement from Wikopedia: other users included the Finnish Air Force (16, two of which were fitted with cameras and used as tactical reconnaissance aircraft)

Of course, I am guessing the camera(s) were internally mounted, maybe they used a pod?

Cheers,

Larry

• 4 months later...

IPMS Stockholm would be a good place to ask, I've had lots of very useful help from them, thier forums are very friendly and enthusiastic to help out, I have email contact with some of the admin and mods who've never let me down with my sometimes obscure requests!?!?!

. . . Kes

• 6 years later...

Hi Larry,

I can try to ask this weekend about Safir. My friend mentioned this camera installation and he used to work in Recce squadron. And yes there was camera installed in FAF Brewster. I try find something about that too.

Br. Vesa

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Hi Larry,

I can try to ask this weekend about Safir. My friend mentioned this camera installation and he used to work in Recce squadron. And yes there was camera installed in FAF Brewster. I try find something about that too.

Br. Vesa

Vesa,

Thanks so much for the reply. I really hope you are able to find the recce Safir info I am looking for. The FAF Brewster with camera would also be great. I can get another Brewster kit for that purpose.

Best Regards,

Larry

Hi,

There is a Swedish book about Safir and IIRC there is drawing of the camera installation to the airframe. It had camera door(s) after the main wheel well on fuselage bottom, venturi tube on the roof and later longer exhaust pipes than usual. See http://www.airliners.net/search?manufacturerSerialNumber=91417&display=detail

Another variant in Finland was sliding opening in the rear entry hatch windows for a hand-held camera.

I'm away for a few weeks so maybe some of our Swedish friends can check the book?

Cheers,

AaCee

Hello Larry!

At least SF-22 had the camera modification. The huge ADF -set was removed behind the pilot's seat and a vertical camera (Zeiss RMK TOP if I remember correctly) was installed for nadir photography. Mainly it was used for navigator training before Piper Chieftains arrived. A "hatch" was also cut into the rear cockpit glazing on the starboard side for hand held oblique photography..

I have a technical manual for SAAB Safir with measurements and all and I also should have a drawing showing the camera modification.

SF-22 is still very much alive. It is preserved in it's original colours and in flying conditions. Some 20 years ago it was very close that I didn't buy that airplane... It is very different to all Pipers and Cessnas.

Best Regards,l

Antti

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Larry!

At least SF-22 had the camera modification. The huge ADF -set was removed behind the pilot's seat and a vertical camera (Zeiss RMK TOP if I remember correctly) was installed for nadir photography. Mainly it was used for navigator training before Piper Chieftains arrived. A "hatch" was also cut into the rear cockpit glazing on the starboard side for hand held oblique photography..

I have a technical manual for SAAB Safir with measurements and all and I also should have a drawing showing the camera modification.

SF-22 is still very much alive. It is preserved in it's original colours and in flying conditions. Some 20 years ago it was very close that I didn't buy that airplane... It is very different to all Pipers and Cessnas.

Best Regards,l

Antti

Hello Antti!

Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM.

Best Regards,

Larry