White Inkjet printing on clear decal

Hi All

I have been developing an inkjet that prints white on clear decal.

As Alps are not a option now as they went bust 5 years ago,and cartridges and service support has stopped.

I started looking into getting a white ink to take over from Alps printers,as silk screen have a minimum charge of 500 to 1,000 sheets

I have been working with a ink company to make one that can go through a Inkjet Printer for over a year now.

I have the pleasure to tell you that one now exists,they are done on a Epson Printer.

Here's a photo of some test shots printed on to blue card just show the ink (Copyright Parkes682Decals 2010)

These are just Test Shots

Paul

P3070023.jpg

As Alps are not a option now as they went bust 5 years ago,and cartridges and service support has stopped.

Not true!!! Alps US packed up but the rest of the company did'nt

http://www.alps-supplies.com/

On the 18th December 2009, Alps Electric announced that they will be withdrawing MD series printers and consumables from sale from the following dates:

31st May 2010

MD-5500 printers will be withdrawn from sale.

All printers sold to this date will still carry a 12 month warranty from date of purchase.

Alps will continue to offer repair services for another 5 years.

Alps will continue to supply ink for another 5 years.

31st May 2015

Alps MD consumables, including inks will be withdrawn from sale.

Repair services will end.

Alps Supplies will continue to supply printers until the 31st May 2010 unless Alps ELectric stops sale before that date.

We will also continue to supply MD inks until the 31st May 2015 unless Alps Electric stops sale before that date.

Edited by TonyT

It had to happen...

As a worried APL (well OKI) owner I'm very interested in any details you have on the ink costs and suitable printers.

Thanks,

Paul

little-cars

A lot of us are interested here

It had to happen...

As a worried APL (well OKI) owner I'm very interested in any details you have on the ink costs and suitable printers.

Thanks,

Paul

little-cars

Hi Paul

Thanks for the enquiry,this ink has been specially made for Epson printers only.

The cost are a little bit more expensive than the ones i currently use in colour printing.

I will be at Cosford with some samples to show any modellers

Paul

Brilliant news,

Do you expect to be developing white ink for use on the Canon IP4500?

Cheers

XVTonker :pilot:

Hi there

No,this can only be used on Epson printers.There's only certain ones this can be used on,its down to the the printing head and the ink.Epson recently bought out a ink that can only be used on there big graphic printers and they are about £750 for 440ml cartridges.The ink im using has been developed away from this seperately for A4 inkjet printers.We are looking into making gold and silver inks in the near future.

CRASH!!!!!!

That was my old Canon printer accidentally hitting the floor..

No seriously, please let us know which cartridge series?

I have a few "whatif" projects in mind, and having a white capable printer woud be very helpfull.

Looking forward to more info on this.

Hi there

No,this can only be used on Epson printers.There's only certain ones this can be used on,its down to the the printing head and the ink.Epson recently bought out a ink that can only be used on there big graphic printers and they are about £750 for 440ml cartridges.The ink im using has been developed away from this seperately for A4 inkjet printers.We are looking into making gold and silver inks in the near future.

Hmmm, time to keep my eye out for Epson printers going cheap on eBay!!

Cheers

XVTonker

Hmmm, time to keep my eye out for Epson printers going cheap on eBay!!

Cheers

XVTonker

Hi there

I have spoken to the manufacturer's of the ink and i have got to watch the legal stuff has this is a new ink,and has to go through being patented.

So i cannot tell you about the ink yet.

The process is a bit technical,but will require a brand new Epson printer.Also brand new clean cartridges,i have only a certain amount of this ink for trials and i have had to pay for it.It is expensive but will depend on what you do with it as far as drawings and logo's etc.

My JPNL cartridges (which is a different supplier) does my colour inks at £20 a cartridge x4 (£80.00 a set) which is a thicker ink specially for doing decals

please dont use normal inks as they bleed.Im hoping that the costs are not to the point that it is not worth the cost to make.

This ink will only work on certain Epson's printer range as well due to the head,the legal stuff covers that so i cannot let you know yet.

I am hoping to have some photo's of a white decal on a coloured background as soon as the paint dries and the decal as well

Watch this Space

Paul

Hi Paul,

this is ground-breaking stuff and you are to be congratulated for working on this.

As you said, this will require a new version Epson printer, plus it's associated cartridges, so we are now all waiting for the time when you can announce what machine and when it is likely to be rolled out.

Best Wishes on your project

Mike

Hi Paul,

this is ground-breaking stuff and you are to be congratulated for working on this.

As you said, this will require a new version Epson printer, plus it's associated cartridges, so we are now all waiting for the time when you can announce what machine and when it is likely to be rolled out.

Best Wishes on your project

Mike

Hi All

Here's the results printed on clear for a truck modeller,its for you modellers who were wondering how white it is

Paul

alps1002.jpg

At the risk of being a PITA, could you do a test shot on a dark/light background to see what the opacity is like? You know how often we see roundels with the camo showing through the white centre, even from the big boys.

At the risk of being a PITA, could you do a test shot on a dark/light background to see what the opacity is like? You know how often we see roundels with the camo showing through the white centre, even from the big boys.

Hi Mike

for your piece of mind i will do one,but from look'in at the GEWS decal i cannot see the blue at all its just solid white.I think its better than the big boys ones.

Paul

Hi Mike

for your piece of mind i will do one,but from look'in at the GEWS decal i cannot see the blue at all its just solid white.I think its better than the big boys ones.

Paul

If that turns out to be the case, that would be excellent news :) Took me a minute to realise what "GEWS" meant though :wacko:

It's not 1st April is it? White ink, whoever heard of such a thing. Is this an American invention? Naa, couldn't be, the only things that the US have invented are condensed milk and the Alps printer :analintruder:

I cannot believe in this devils :devil: work, some people will believe anything :fraidnot:

Nice one Paul that's a neat trick :speak_cool::goodjob:

;)

Mal the Mask

Hi All

Here's some more test decals on various colours,black seams to be the"acid" test to see if its dense enough to work.It passed with flying colours,the grey also.The yellow the white does stand as well as the yellow,so its 50/50 but you can still see it.

Have a look at the photo's.

Thanks Mal for your comments and all of the Britmodellers who are interested in this new cutting edge technogly,next step gold and silver.

alps1003.jpg

alps1004.jpg

alps1005.jpg