Flightpaths Tornado 1/32 detail and conversion set

Guest Hunter

I'm now looking to source extra's for my recently acquired Revell 1/32 Tornado ECR to do as a Lossie GR4, the Flightpath stuff is pretty expensive, £50 and from what I've heard is a fair amount of etched brass stuff, I don't have much experience with etch, would I be jumping in the deep end by buying this? Will it add much to the finished model, I'd want to keep the canopy open. is it essential to do a GR4?

I'm also looking at Neil's Paragon flaps and seats for this kit, I've used some resin ... I think I can do this OK :) I've also sourced a decal sheet, but a bit worried about the Flightpath stuff.

Any wise words greatly appreciated.

Hi Hunter,

The Flightpath set is very photo-etch orientated, thats not to say that its not good, it's bloody excellent, but you might find it a bit daunting if you have no experience. I've got a couple of sets at home, I'll try and post some pics sometime.

The Paragon seats are highly recommended and the flap set too, heres a pic of the one I'm currently working on, the instructions are pretty self explanatory, and if I can do it then anyone can.

TornadoFlaps.jpg

Tornadoprimed.jpg

Hope this helps

Ant

Thanks Ant, that is good advice ... I have become quite passionate about the GR4, living near RAF Lossiemouth is to blame for this:) I saw a Revell 1/32 Tornado built as one at my towns model show last year and was blown away by what could be achieved, so I definitely want to try this.

I guess I should invest in one of those etch folding tools as well?

As "maybe" a dry run, I've been inspired by Skii's Tornado GR4 from the Italeri kit and bought the tail fin correction from Relish Models tonight, need the available other parts too of course, have the 1/48 Airfix kit for decals and tanks, maybe I'd be better building this one first? but I still reckon I need to do more time with etched parts and definitely a lot more research on how to work and use them with plastic and resin.

I do have a wee bit spare cash just now, so maybe I should invest in the Flightpath Tonka stuff and hold off ... don't get me wrong, although I've no digital camera to show my finished work so far, I'm not ashamed of what I've finished so far model completion wise ... just a bit nervous at splashing £50 on a lot of brass if it were to go wasted :)

Thanks again.

I've use the flightpath set , and it is something to behold ....! , it does allow you to enhance any version of the Tonka from the GR-1A, 1B, 4 & 4A , one of the problems in the set is working out just what pieces are needed for the particular version you're building .

What you need from the set really are the conversion pieces for the 4, the extra nose sensor , enhancements for the IPs and the modifications to the seats , to allow the NVG sets to be used.

A lot of my set however stayed in the box, e.g. the White metal wing pylons are heavy , and I didn't want to risk "springing" the fuselage seams with them hanging off the wings , ditto on the white metal wheels , I really couldn't see any significant enhancements over what was in the kit.

A lot of the Pit/ airframe parts are very useful, and do enhance the look of the finished model.

I took the expensive approach , and bought the BB , along with the Flightpath set , and that way you go get the best of both wolds - albeit expensively ...

I've posted these before - but this is my GR-4 from a couple of years ago

tornaod1.jpg

The pit -

tornado001.jpg

As an example of how useful the Flightpath set is - note the tops of the intakes - all the rivet detail - well that's a etched overlay in the set - and Significantly enhances this fairly obvious part of the model

Hope this helps

OMG ... that is gorgeous, Colin ... however I've decided to hold off on my 1/32 Tonka project and concentrate on my Italeri 1/48 one for now ... I'm just about to buy a Telescope on e-bay after getting good feedback on it from the local Astronomy club.

Thanks for the advice folks, but after much thought I'm going to pass on this just now, I need more modelling experience to do this project justice IMHO.

But for those that are looking and doing a 1/32 Tonka, if not for the Telescope purchase, I was watching and ready to pounce on this stuff on Ebay,

Click

I hope someone grabs this opportunity to get the detail sets, they don't often come around, hope I get another chance ... but I've been wanting a good Telescope for a long time and I think the time is right to buy.

So much to do so little time ... sigh :)

EDIT ... I see the guys has dropped the sale of the Flightpath stuff? ... maybe it was not meant to be just now after all :)

Edited by Hunter