• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 gishuk

gishuk

Established Member

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

This will be my first proper ship model (i made a 1/1200 littorio when i was about 10 but thats not quite in the same league). Ive got the White Ensign brass detail set for this too. Ive used brass before quite a bit, but never in quite the scale and tiny detail like this set has. The instructions are fantastic though so hopefully it should go ok.

This is just a couple of days progress, and as i dont have the high speed ship building skills of phil there isnt a whole lot to show yet. Going full hull as i think large ships tend to look better that way (and ive never made a seascape before and that doesnt look too easy either).

The state of play currently

Posted Image

The WEM deckhouse that Trumpeter missed off, nice simple little bit of folding to start with.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The fore deck(?) area with the anchor equipment fitted. Not sure what to do with the chains, there are p.e. ones in the WEM set, but as theyre flat i dont think that would really work any better than the moulded ones.

Posted Image

And finally for now, the underside red colour wasnt in stock at white ensign, so im thinking this halfords primer is a pretty good match. I think ive seen this used on one of phils builds? Looks pretty close to me to the anti fouling red. It doesnt looks as bright as that in reality, flash photo, Its quite a dull red in natural light.

Posted Image

Now im just trying to work out what else to add to the main deck before painting. As i want to airbrush as much as possible its trying to work out what can be masked off and what needs leaving until after.

thanks for looking.

Edited by gishuk, 03 March 2010 - 06:26 PM.

#2 Shar2

Shar2

Banana

• Global Moderator
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

Excellent, will be keeping close eye on this build in prep for my own. Looking good so far. I would probably use the WEM chains as, although they look flat, scalewise they wouldn't be too far off the real thinkness.

#3 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Good luck with the build,and I hope you enjoy it .The Repulse was a fine looking ship,and makes into an impressive model.

Cheers Phil

#4 gishuk

gishuk

Established Member

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:53 PM

a couple more days of work on Repulse, still nothing too exciting to see , but there isnt a whole lot more i want to add to the decks before i paint the hull now.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ive also made the turrets, they just need the tampions from the WEM set and theyll be ready for primer too.

Posted Image

Im planning on painting the grey areas of the deck first, then masking those off, as theyre mainly uprights it should be easier, then pre shading freehand with a brush various colours onto the deck planking. hopefully when i then spray the teak onto the decks it should give a nice variation in shades of the planks without look like a patchwork, and not needing a ton of masking.

thats the plan anyway, probably find out in a couple of weeks if thats gonna work out as i intend it to. :hypnotised:

#5 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

Not wishing to interfere with your build,but I would like to warn you that Trumpy have made the waterline too low.The black "boot-topping" is further up the hull ,then they suggest.I recommend that you paint all the lower hull red,and the black stripe on the upper hull.Please see the photo.

Regards Phil

Posted Image

#6 Shar2

Shar2

Banana

• Global Moderator
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

I'm a little bit concerned about that new deckhouse. From all the pictures I've seen of Repulse the structure on the stbd side is exactly the same as the port and doesn't look anything like the WEM structure. Of course I'm happy to be proved wrong.

#7 gishuk

gishuk

Established Member

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

the deckhouse was only added i think in 1939? for the royal visit to america,but before that both sides looked the same.

i cant claim to know if the WEM representation of the deckhouse is right or not, but its definatly a late addition to the ship so any earlier photos woudnt show it.

and thanks for the heads up on the black line location phil

#8 Shar2

Shar2

Banana

• Global Moderator
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Goes to show, to do more in-depth research before commenting on something. Sorry about that. :doh:

Posted Image

#9 Phil Reeder

Phil Reeder

Very Obsessed Member

• Frozen
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:29 PM

You may have seen this before,but here`s a Link that may help concerning the shape of the "Royal Apartments" ,on the aft structure.

http://www.shipmodel...t...8&start=120

cheers Phil

Edited by Phil Reeder, 06 March 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#10 Shar2

Shar2

Banana

• Global Moderator
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:56 PM

Very useful, thanks Phil.

#11 gishuk

gishuk

Established Member

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

more progress to show now.

i stuck as much onto the hull as i could without getting into things that looked too fragile to survive painting at this stage. then on with red primer, then alot of masking for the grey and the black band.

had a bit of paint get under the tape which is annoying, but it'll get properly tidied up after i do the decks, so it still looks a touch rough at the mo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the stripes on the deck are pre shading for the teak. when that gets airbrushed on it should give a nice variation in shades.

#12 Mike

Mike

Proud dad

• Root Admin
  • 1,029,597 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

the stripes on the deck are pre shading for the teak. when that gets airbrushed on it should give a nice variation in shades.

Interesting technique... I'm looking forward to seeing how it comes out :)

#13 Shar2

Shar2

Banana

• Global Moderator
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

Looking good so far. I did wonder about the black stripes. Will be interested to see how it looks after the deck is painted.

#14 Paul Brickles

Paul Brickles

Established Member

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

Interesting technique :D for the deck

Keep up the good work

Paul

#15 gishuk

gishuk

Established Member

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 05:19 PM

im interested to see how it turns out too haha, never done it before, not seen it done by anyone else either, which either means im a forward thinking genius, or a muppet, will find out in a couple of days :whistle:

#16 gishuk

gishuk

Established Member

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:12 PM

well i sprayed the decks this afternoon, and i think im gonna call the shading a success

with hindsight though i should have tested first to see which colours worked best under the teak, but i think its a decent result with what i used, which was black, white and green and the red primer.

just a couple of flash photos which have kind of washed out the effect, ill get some better ones when theres some natural light.

Posted Image

Posted Image

still very much a WIP, the deck furniture needs painting, some grey needs adding and touching up, and im going to try some of the promodeller wash to bring out the planking a bit more and tie the shades together.

looking at the WEM brass set of whats going to come next after the hulls done, the hard parts are yet to come i think :hypnotised:

#17 kev67

kev67

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:21 PM

This is the Tamiya Repulse I made last year
Posted Image

#18 gishuk

gishuk

Established Member

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:48 PM

thats lovely, nice sea base too.

im doing her in 1939 fit if it wasnt already obvious, with the all light grey camoflage

#19 kev67

kev67

Very Obsessed Member

• Gold Member
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

thats lovely, nice sea base too.

im doing her in 1939 fit if it wasnt already obvious, with the all light grey camoflage

Well if you need any info I have loads of info that I can copy and send

#20 gishuk

gishuk

Established Member

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:13 PM

sorry reading that back today and it sounds like im snapping at you, which i wasnt at all, was just pointing out which timescale im doing her from.

afaik there arnt really any real external differences between 1939 and 41 fits apart from the paint scheme (i could be wrong), i just prefered the all light grey scheme.

what colour did you use for the fore deck and the upper levels flooring? is that 507a?