Airfix 1/24 Mosquito

Just a few pics as I`ve built this for a review in the online mag `Scale Modeling Magazine`. Got to say I was impressed with the kit, it has its issues but overall it makes into a fantastic model that is very impressive. It was finished using gunze sangyo paints and xtradecals.

050f.jpg

050g.jpg

050h.jpg

The full review can be found at www.scalemodellingnow.com and consists of nearly 5000 words and 115 build images.

Sandy

umma gumma.........I need to clean something up now...................................

JB.

Is it OOB? The engines look stunning.

It`s almost out of the box, have done some work on the cockpit, wing spars and number 5 bulkhead along with some other minor modifications but no major surgery.

As for kit of the year, its not as refined as the Tamiya Spitfire but the fit is pretty damn good and the finished item looks very smart. It`s a close call between the two kits.

Sandy

Wow.

That's just beautiful Sandy. Any chance you can post a pic with it next to another every day object so we can get a sense of the model's size?

Cheers,

Nick

Wow.

That's just beautiful Sandy. Any chance you can post a pic with it next to another every day object so we can get a sense of the model's size?

Cheers,

Nick

This is a 1/48 tamiya mosquito sitting on its back !!!

048c.jpg

Seeing that build in the 464 squadron marking from Xtradecals has made me evem more determined to get one, my uncle was killed with 464 in late 1943 on one of their early Mosquito operations. NZ$350 though. :o

Steve

I see your rubber machine-gun belts / feeds are black rather than silver. Is that because, like I found, you found that the paint won't stick? Has anyone found a paint that will stay attached to 'rubber' kit parts when twisted (its impossible to paint the belts 'in situ')?

Edited by 487 Squadron

I see your rubber machine-gun belts / feeds are black rather than silver. Is that because, like I found, you found that the paint won't stick? Has anyone found a paint that will stay attached to 'rubber' kit parts when twisted (its impossible to paint the belts 'in situ')?

Hi 487 , yes your right , couldn`t get the paint to stick to the rubber , I intially sprayed the feeders with Alclad but when i tried to fit them it all peeled off. Fortunately there is a pic in the SAMI Mossie book that shows the Feeders painted black so that led me to leaving them black and trying to paint in the brass colour in the slots -that isn`t that easy either as the paint still rubs off. Best solution would be some resin replacements if someone is good enough to make some -please !!!

Sandy